The Student Room Group

Body image double standards?

Discuss.
1453713799038.jpg
Reply 1
bump (shameless)
I agree
No one should be shamed for looking a certain way, obviously there are health concerns with both 'extremes' in regard to weight but if the person is healthy and happy, no problem
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
No one should be shamed for looking a certain way, obviously there are health concerns with both 'extremes' in regard to weight but if the person is healthy and happy, no problem

It just seems it is okay to criticise someone for being too skinny but if you criticise someone overweight you are seen as a horrible person.

PS: Bit confused by your post, you said don't shame them, then you said there are health issues with both extremes, but then went back to say if they are happy and healthy shouldn't be an issue. If they are the extremes then how can they be healthy?
Original post by sw651
It just seems it is okay to criticise someone for being too skinny but if you criticise someone overweight you are seen as a horrible person.

PS: Bit confused by your post, you said don't shame them, then you said there are health issues with both extremes, but then went back to say if they are happy and healthy shouldn't be an issue. If they are the extremes then how can they be healthy?

I meant that as long as it isn't a health issue there is no problem and that you can't make that assumption based on how a person looks how healthy they are, every body type is beautiful but health comes before beauty. If I knew someone who was underweight but had no health problems I would not feel any differently about them nor would I do so for someone who is overweight but health is more important than how other people see you.
I do agree with the post and think too skinny and too overweight are both problems in their own right. If someone thinks they can eat what they want and not gain wait, they generally don't end up eating nutritious food. I used to have a friend who never gained weight and she used to have atleast 2 mcdonalds a week, because she could.

Overweight people are similar because they eat what they want, but they do gain weight and they can't handle it. At the end of the day, both parties have to try really hard to get to their ideal weight, whether too skinny or too fat. I don't think either is healthy and body shaming in any way is wrong.

I think people judge someone when they look at them. They look at a fat person and automatically assume that they are just people who can't control their eating, they don't know if that's the case. Same with skinny people, they just assume that they're skinny or have an eating problem. They don't know if that person is trying to lose weight.

Although I don't agree that anyone except maybe your doctor should tell you to gain weight or lose weight, that's your (and your doctors) decision.
Reply 7
Original post by bethwalker85
I do agree with the post and think too skinny and too overweight are both problems in their own right. If someone thinks they can eat what they want and not gain wait, they generally don't end up eating nutritious food. I used to have a friend who never gained weight and she used to have atleast 2 mcdonalds a week, because she could.

Overweight people are similar because they eat what they want, but they do gain weight and they can't handle it. At the end of the day, both parties have to try really hard to get to their ideal weight, whether too skinny or too fat. I don't think either is healthy and body shaming in any way is wrong.

I think people judge someone when they look at them. They look at a fat person and automatically assume that they are just people who can't control their eating, they don't know if that's the case. Same with skinny people, they just assume that they're skinny or have an eating problem. They don't know if that person is trying to lose weight.

Although I don't agree that anyone except maybe your doctor should tell you to gain weight or lose weight, that's your (and your doctors) decision.

I agree with the rest of the post apart from your second point. The assumption that they all try to get to an ideal weight is kinda inaccurate because some claim they are healthy when in fact they are anything but.

Some good points here, but in general people look the way they look because of they way they eat. I know first hand from in the past being "that guy that eats what he wants and never gains weight" that skinny people don't eat enough (I should add for the sake of the thread title btw, that being called skinny all the time hurts just as much as an overweight person being called fat). I used to have my share of crap, but you have to consider that we all have a total daily caloric expenditure and if you eat less than what you're expending on the majority of days or on a weekly basis, then you don't gain, or you will lose, weight. I stayed at 10 stone @ 6'2'' for several years, it was only when I assessed my caloric needs when I seriously started to want to gain weight that I realised I was undereating almost every day, even though I thought I ate a lot.

It's the same for overweight people, when you look at how much they eat on a daily basis it becomes clear why they're fat. People like to blame thyroid problems, slow metabolism etc, but the vast majority of time it's just bad eating habits passed down through their parents (if their parents or siblings are overweight as well, it's a dead giveaway - nothing to do with genetics, it's learned eating habits passed down through the generations).

Even if they don't necessarily eat unhealthily, you can still get a lot of calories from healthy foods (think of bodybuilders who choose to eat "clean", shovelling in 4000 calories a day of clean, healthy food). Conversely, like your friend for example, you could eat a couple of takeaways a week and still be healthy if you're getting the rest of your micronutrients in. A couple of meals a week is nothing considering how many meals you eat per week. I eat 1-2 takeaways per week and a bit of crap every day when I'm bulking, but I'm getting my nutrients in as well and according to a very recent health check all my vitamin levels are spot on and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are ideal. It's when you eat this sort of crap nearly every day (admittedly, like a lot of overweight people do) that it becomes a problem.

To summarise my (very long I just realised, oops!) post, I agree that being called skinny is just as bad as being called fat. Though, I see that we're being pushed towards accepting the whole "big is beautiful" idea while being skinny is still frowned upon especially for men, and I think it needs to stop. Not necessarily saying we need to campaign for skinny people or anything of the sort as I see it as a good thing to give someone a bit of encouragement to change their body, not to say "yeah, you're under/overweight, but it's fine, you look lovely" when to the average person of the opposite sex, that person would be unattractive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sw651
I agree with the rest of the post apart from your second point. The assumption that they all try to get to an ideal weight is kinda inaccurate because some claim they are healthy when in fact they are anything but.

Yeah fair enough, but assumptions can be damaging. That's the same for skinny and obese people though. They claim they are healthy or happy, when they aren't. But, I still stick with my point that both extremes are damaging.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Some good points here, but in general people look the way they look because of they way they eat. I know first hand from in the past being "that guy that eats what he wants and never gains weight" that skinny people don't eat enough (I should add for the sake of the thread title btw, that being called skinny all the time hurts just as much as an overweight person being called fat). I used to have my share of crap, but you have to consider that we all have a total daily caloric expenditure and if you eat less than what you're expending on the majority of days or on a weekly basis, then you don't gain, or you will lose, weight. I stayed at 10 stone @ 6'2'' for several years, it was only when I assessed my caloric needs when I seriously started to want to gain weight that I realised I was undereating almost every day, even though I thought I ate a lot.

It's the same for overweight people, when you look at how much they eat on a daily basis it becomes clear why they're fat. People like to blame thyroid problems, slow metabolism etc, but the vast majority of time it's just bad eating habits passed down through their parents (if their parents or siblings are overweight as well, it's a dead giveaway - nothing to do with genetics, it's learned eating habits passed down through the generations).

Even if they don't necessarily eat unhealthily, you can still get a lot of calories from healthy foods (think of bodybuilders who choose to eat "clean", shovelling in 4000 calories a day of clean, healthy food). Conversely, like your friend for example, you could eat a couple of takeaways a week and still be healthy if you're getting the rest of your micronutrients in. A couple of meals a week is nothing considering how many meals you eat per week. I eat 1-2 takeaways per week and a bit of crap every day when I'm bulking, but I'm getting my nutrients in as well and according to a very recent health check all my vitamin levels are spot on and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are ideal. It's when you eat this sort of crap nearly every day (admittedly, like a lot of overweight people do) that it becomes a problem.

To summarise my (very long I just realised, oops!) post, I agree that being called skinny is just as bad as being called fat. Though, I see that we're being pushed towards accepting the whole "big is beautiful" idea while being skinny is still frowned upon especially for men, and I think it needs to stop. Not necessarily saying we need to campaign for skinny people or anything of the sort as I see it as a good thing to give someone a bit of encouragement to change their body, not to say "yeah, you're under/overweight, but it's fine, you look lovely" when to the average person of the opposite sex, that person would be unattractive.

I completely agree with you. I know for some people that they do have situations like thyroid issues and such which means they struggle to lose/put on weight but the majority of the time it's what they eat. I again agree that when you analyse what you eat you can see what you're eating is totally wrong for your lifestyle. Some people claim to eat whatever they want, but are sporty and burn an appropriate amount of calories for what they eat. Some people claim they can't lose weight but eat healthy, but don't actually understand that their clean food is high in calories. I think if more people understood nutrition it'd be beneficial. I think a lot of people often focus on skinny and fat or petite and plus size in females, so don't acknowledge the problems that males can also have with these issues. There's so much in the media about "big is beautiful" with females and accepting female bodies, but not males.
Becauase most feminists are fat, and shaming feminists is evil and mysogonistic, and being mysogonistic is because of patriachy,

Ps
Cis
White male privilege
Patriachy
Random stupid words feminists use

image.gif
I think if more people understood nutrition it'd be beneficial.

That's the issue, really. Calories in vs calories out is a very simple concept, yet many seem to be unaware of it. If they try and gain or lose weight there's no structure, they maybe try and exercise a bit more or eat a bit less or vice versa if trying to gain weight, and might get somewhere for a few weeks, then their TDEE changes and they stagnate again, give up and end up back where they started and blame their poor genetics. The government are largely responsible for this too, really - we've all been told to avoid sugars or this or that because they make you fat, whereas if more awareness was centred around monitoring your caloric intake I imagine the obesity epidemic wouldn't be as significant as it is now. However, I suppose for some people, doing numbers is too much hard work even if they are aware :lol:
What's right is whichever type of body most people want to f***

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlackSweetness
Becauase most feminists are fat, and shaming feminists is evil and mysogonistic, and being mysogonistic is because of patriachy,

Ps
Cis
White male privilege
Patriachy
Random stupid words feminists use

image.gif

Omg that gif. I nearly laughed out loud at work. stop pls
Most bigger girls don't shame skinny women. Very few people seriously think it's okay to tell someone to gain weight or call them anorexic (which is a serious illness and shouldn't be used so lightly) just because of their body shape. True body positivity is believing that it's okay for anyone to love their body, and this is what the majority of big girls actually believe. While obviously there are some (and a lot of medium-sized or slightly skinny girls, who imo are the worst for both fat shaming and skinny shaming) who are this way, most of it comes from insecurity about their own bodies, which exists because of how fat women are treated, and the fact that slim bodies are still preferred overall in society
Original post by Marina_x
Most bigger girls don't shame skinny women. Very few people seriously think it's okay to tell someone to gain weight or call them anorexic (which is a serious illness and shouldn't be used so lightly) just because of their body shape. True body positivity is believing that it's okay for anyone to love their body, and this is what the majority of big girls actually believe. While obviously there are some (and a lot of medium-sized or slightly skinny girls, who imo are the worst for both fat shaming and skinny shaming) who are this way, most of it comes from insecurity about their own bodies, which exists because of how fat women are treated, and the fact that slim bodies are still preferred overall in society

Bitches be bitching.

But the fact that fat bitches get more of a voice in mainstream media worries me.
No one should be shaming anyone - the body positivity movement is for all.

I don't understand why people find this concept so hard to understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending