The Student Room Group

Acid reflux

For the last six months or so, I've noticed I tend to get what seems to be acid reflux problems after eating a takeaway (an addition of mine sadly!) and what over the counter medicines are best to alleviate the issue?

I know myself my diet and weight aren't ideal for my height but it doesn't affect me all the time (sometimes I have a takeaway out but no issues after) but it's annoying as it causes loose bowel movement the next day also.

Intending to make an appointment with the Docs soon just for my assurance.
Have you tried something like Rennie? If you go to the chemist, they can advise you if there's anything better. (or cheaper)
Reply 2
They will most likely give you gaviscon if it's acid reflux
But really try and cut down on acidic and spicy foods.. also coffee. You don't have to cut them out completely but if you carry on having acid reflux regularly it can really do damage!
Original post by Aky786UK
For the last six months or so, I've noticed I tend to get what seems to be acid reflux problems after eating a takeaway (an addition of mine sadly!) and what over the counter medicines are best to alleviate the issue?

I know myself my diet and weight aren't ideal for my height but it doesn't affect me all the time (sometimes I have a takeaway out but no issues after) but it's annoying as it causes loose bowel movement the next day also.

Intending to make an appointment with the Docs soon just for my assurance.

I get acid reflux so much, it's so annoying

I can't remember the name I'm sorry but there's some good indigestion tablets in Superdrug (you can get fruit flavoured ones and spearmint flavoured ones). I use the spearmint ones, they're round and white. They help me a lot. Hope that helps.

Idk what to suggest about the bowel movements though. I would say ask a doctor about these things in any case. :yy:
Reply 4
Original post by Rainbow Student
I get acid reflux so much, it's so annoying

I can't remember the name I'm sorry but there's some good indigestion tablets in Superdrug (you can get fruit flavoured ones and spearmint flavoured ones). I use the spearmint ones, they're round and white. They help me a lot. Hope that helps.

Idk what to suggest about the bowel movements though. I would say ask a doctor about these things in any case. :yy:

Yes I was going to some Gaviscon tablets but went for these other ones which had an extra two in.

I feel for you if you have it similiar to the ones I experience - a really, vomit smelling quiet burp but I think I have it all the time but the burps aren't as strong.

Have you seen a doctor? It doesn't seem like there's something to treat it other than diet adjustment etc.
Reply 5
Doctor might prescribe (i used to get it really bad) omeprazole - the most effective (immediate) remedy is to either (yes, it`s true) eat 1/2 a packet of refreshers or love hearts - contain bicarb of soda with your meal (this helps you bring up the trapped air which is a symptom of acid reflux), or to cook most of your meals with ginger AND garlic (most effective is to have both raw - especially with spicy food). Garlic is 60% moore effective than any known medication to aleviate/get rid of acid reflux. I take both ginger and garlic raw - and haven`t had an attack in over 18 months.

(also, how`s the size of your belly - mine was a real beer gut, used to be 41 inches (stomach and waist) now i`m 33 inches for both)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Hasufel

(also, how`s the size of your belly - mine was a real beer gut, used to be 41 inches (stomach and waist) now i`m 33 inches for both)

I'm probably (not checked in ages) around 35 I reckon. I know my weight is 13stone and my height is 5'11 and that's not the combination I should have!

Quick Reply

Latest