The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Loads of places reporting that he's about to walk. I think this is going to happen
Woodward is begging for LVG to resign himself rather than him having to do his job and take decisive action himself. Van Gaal backtracked on resignation suggestions before so he'll spin this as he's making general comments than anything specific.
LVG is defeated. It sounds so, anyway.

"They have, or they had, great expectations of me, and I cannot fulfil them, so I am very frustrated.”
Original post by Aky786UK
Woodward is begging for LVG to resign himself rather than him having to do his job and take decisive action himself. Van Gaal backtracked on resignation suggestions before so he'll spin this as he's making general comments than anything specific.

Apparently LVG asked to resign twice and Woodward talked him out of it at Christmas. The reason for that is because the board can't decide on the next manager.
Original post by Dirtybit
Apparently LVG asked to resign twice and Woodward talked him out of it at Christmas. The reason for that is because the board can't decide on the next manager.

LVG is also Woodward's man, by all accounts. He'll lose face if this doesn't work out.

Spoiler

Sadly Van Gaal's position has become totally untenable and not one person at the club would be telling the truth if they said they believed he can turn this around.

That's why he was given (incorrectly in my opinion) more time after Norwich, Bournemouth, Stoke. And quite simply, he's failed. Despite Liverpool's terrible defending papering over the cracks for another week. It was as bad yesterday after last weeks win as any other point in the season.

All that said despite my earlier Mourinho predictions, I am still very worried we are willing to just wait until May before making the change. How can a board that wants the best for the club choose that option though when so much is still up for grabs IF we act now? Top 4 is still within reach, only just. Another game or two could change that. Agree a mutual termination and Van Gaal should go off to enjoy his retirement with his family. He doesn't need this. It's best for everyone. I would respect him more if he resigned tomorrow. If not I still fear Woodward doesn't have the guts to do it now. It's truly a baffling situation which I've never seen before at any other club. We'll know in the next 24-48 hours if hes staying or going.. but not holding my breath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hayles101
Sadly Van Gaal's position has become totally untenable and not one person at the club would be telling the truth if they said they believed he can turn this around.

That's why he was given (incorrectly in my opinion) more time after Norwich, Bournemouth, Stoke. And quite simply, he's failed. Despite Liverpool's terrible defending papering over the cracks for another week. It was as bad yesterday after last weeks win as any other point in the season.

All that said despite my Mourinho predictions etc I am still very worried we are willing just wait until May before making the change. How can a board that wants the best for the club choose that option though when so much is still up for grabs IF we act now? Agree a mutual termination and Van Gaal should go off to enjoy his retirement with his family. He doesn't need this. It's best for everyone. I would respect him more if he resigned tomorrow. If not I still fear Woodward doesn't have the guts to do it now. It's truly a baffling situation which I've never seen before at any other club. We'll know in the next 24-48 hours if hes staying or going.. but not holding my breath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling that it all hinges on the FA Cup and Europa League. I think if we lose to either Derby or Midtylland, he will be gone. Although, it could be before Midtylland depending on how results go with Stoke, Chelsea and Sunderland.
He's not going to quit, its just rumours and I would not recommend getting excited over these small rumours as it only leads to disappointment - speaking from experience as I fell for the rumours that LVG had two games to save his job and he lost one and drew one and yet he was still there and I felt gutted lol

Whilst on twitter I saw loads of people saying that they are boycotting the club till he goes which could be a good way to get our message across, although I am not "boycotting" it just seems a waste of money going to games now :frown:
This 'boycott' is going well, only 75,400 at the Southampton game
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Down by 100, progress. I think going to games is just out of habit now and not because of the situation that we're currently in.
Did you not see how many tickets were available pre kick off? That was unheard of until the past couple of months. So clearly ticket demand is decreasing, simply because the product is not good enough.

But I agree with the above, a club as big as us will not be effected so much by a "boycott" from a small section of the fans.
I better check the news ...
This is funny :biggrin:
Original post by Kenan and Kel

We'll see how season ticket renewals go then, because match going reds are not one bit happy.

I know a lot of people who are genuinely considering not renewing due to Mr Van Gaal's riveting football. I'm one of them. I'll stick to aways. At least there you get some atmosphere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Did you not see how many tickets were available pre kick off? That was unheard of until the past couple of months. So clearly ticket demand is decreasing, simply because the product is not good enough.

But I agree with the above, a club as big as us will not be effected so much by a "boycott" from a small section of the fans.

And this. Couldn't get rid of mine for a game at christmas there when I was away.. for the first time ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Morsey_
I have a feeling that it all hinges on the FA Cup and Europa League. I think if we lose to either Derby or Midtylland, he will be gone. Although, it could be before Midtylland depending on how results go with Stoke, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Maybe, not much financially depends on the cups though. And that's what they'll be worried about. Whereas miss top 4 and they'll lose tens of millions. Which I'm sure they'll be delighted about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It has to happen today. If it doesnt happen today then its a certainty that he'll be our manager til the end of the season. Constantly checking news at work because i really want it to happen, this is the Moyes waiting game all over again except his sacking was almost certain due to all the paper talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Been widely reported he always planned to go to Holland for his daughters birthday which is why Giggs is taking the session. Planned before Southampton game.

So sadly means nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
It has to happen today. If it doesnt happen today then its a certainty that he'll be our manager til the end of the season. Constantly checking news at work because i really want it to happen, this is the Moyes waiting game all over again except his sacking was almost certain due to all the paper talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They just don't learn. It's unbelievable.

They will wait until we're out of the FA Cup and Top 4 mathematically impossible before pulling the trigger ala Moyes. Again! Infuriating! :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest