The Student Room Group

Rescheduled Cambridge interview was not given

Hi everyone! I just wanted to get some opinions on this as a few people reckon I should do something about it. Basically, when I applied to uni last year, I was offered an interview at Gonville and Caius college for Engineering in Dec 2014. However, due to a serious, life-threatening medical issue that arose in my immediate family a week before the interview, I asked them to reschedule it. They were very accommodating and offered one for Jan 2015. In Jan, I contacted them about an interview date, and they said they would let me know when to come soon. However, after a long delay, they finally replied saying they were not going to be able to reschedule my interview and hence could not offer me a place.

Just wanted to know what others thought about this. Do you think they were very wrong to offer a rescheduled interview, and then to take it away, having kept me under the impression that my interview would be held for over a month?
Original post by sammm96
Hi everyone! I just wanted to get some opinions on this as a few people reckon I should do something about it. Basically, when I applied to uni last year, I was offered an interview at Gonville and Caius college for Engineering in Dec 2014. However, due to a serious, life-threatening medical issue that arose in my immediate family a week before the interview, I asked them to reschedule it. They were very accommodating and offered one for Jan 2015. In Jan, I contacted them about an interview date, and they said they would let me know when to come soon. However, after a long delay, they finally replied saying they were not going to be able to reschedule my interview and hence could not offer me a place.

Just wanted to know what others thought about this. Do you think they were very wrong to offer a rescheduled interview, and then to take it away, having kept me under the impression that my interview would be held for over a month?

Did you raise this with them at the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I did, and they weren't very clear on why they had withdrawn the interview. Their communication was quite poor generally. A few weeks after this occurred, they finally replied to one of my emails and said my credentials weren't strong enough but generally they seemed to dodge the issue a bit. If my application was ok for an interview offer the first time, why reconsider afterwards? I know an interview would not have guaranteed admission, but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sammm96
I did, and they weren't very clear on why they had withdrawn the interview. Their communication was quite poor generally. A few weeks after this occurred, they finally replied to one of my emails and said my credentials weren't strong enough but generally they seemed to dodge the issue a bit. If my application was ok for an interview offer the first time, why reconsider afterwards? I know an interview would not have guaranteed admission, but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity! :smile:

I suspect you've left it much too late to complain, but there is a formal process:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/complaints-procedure

Also what were your subjects and (if you did AS-levels) UMS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
I suspect you've left it much too late to complain, but there is a formal process:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/complaints-procedure

Also what were your subjects and (if you did AS-levels) UMS?

I wonder if they mean December 2015 and its a typo?
Reply 5
Original post by Elegantsolution

It may well be a typo. Have you done any research on student feedback on the course? You may find it useful to before deciding whether to take this further, particularly if it genuinely is engineering you want to persue as a career. I can't help feeling I had a lucky escape really. I will be making my choice over the next couple of months based upon:

The overall course content and balance between practical application of theory to just theory;
When and how often is the course content updated which is important;
Facilities and how much investment goes into updating equipment;
How the teaching has embraced Technology eg are materials available electronically, what elearning is there;
The openness and friendliness of the lecturers ( to be judged on post offer visit days)
Student feedback on the course content and quality of lecturers ( I have been warned that academics do not always make great lecturers)
Where will I be happy ( big one)!
It's going to cost £18,000 per year including living costs for four years. Where offers best value for money?. I do not come from a wealthy background so it has to be considered in terms of future engineering job prospects.

I have learnt much over the past few months going through the university application process. The best advice I can give to future applicants is this. Do your research and ignore "all universities hype and spin".In engineering where you go is less important than what you come out knowing ( parent is a Chartered Engineer so knows,). Have a list of the questions that are most important to YOU and pick the uni that best answers them. best wishes.
Reply 6
Original post by Elegantsolution

So they missed an interview, and now it looks like they aren't turning up to this thread either...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending