The Student Room Group

Striving for GCSE success: Let's defeat procrastination!

Grow Your Grades 2016:
Chat **** get **** grades
There are just weeks left until my biggest challenge yet: undertaking a mighty 26.6 hours of examinations (21 sessions in total).

The main reason as to why I decided to create this blog was for motivation and maintaining focus as the exam season is fast approaching.

My target grades are as follows:
Biology - C
Business Studies - C
Chemistry - C
Computing - C
English Language - C
English Literature - C
Geography - C
Mathematics - C
Physics - C
Religious Studies - C
Spanish - C
Yes, my target grades maybe all Cs but in my mock examinations I exceeded such low expectations in virtually every subject.

My mock results are as follows:
Biology - B
Business Studies - A
Chemistry - A
Computing - B
English Language - C
English Literature - B
Geography - A
Mathematics - B
Physics - A
Religious Studies - B
Spanish - B
Hopefully, I have the ability to replicate (or outdo) the set of grades above. Follow me on my journey in doing so.

Each day you will get an insight as to how well my studies are going.

Good luck to everyone doing GCSEs this summer!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I love the reference in the post :rofl: plus your name.

It's great that you've exceeded your target grades (even if you set them to be average).

As a Maths student at uni, I can tell you that Maths is all about practice, so I'm sure you can turn that B into an A*. :wink:

Best of luck! :rave:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
I love the reference in the post :rofl: plus your name.

It's great that you've exceeded your target grades (even if you set them to be average).

As a Maths student at uni, I can tell you that Maths is all about practice, so I'm sure you can turn that B into an A*. :wink:

Best of luck! :rave:

Trust me. I'm turning that B into an A*; don't worry. :wink:
I wish I could have low target expectations so everyone is shocked when I exceed them, but nope xD Well done though :smile:
Reply 4
Day 1: Tuesday 26th January 2016

Today hasn't been too bad. Currently, in Computer Science, I'm working on my coursework which, surprisingly, is predominantly writing about programming rather than creating the program itself.

Business Studies today was difficult initially, but I grew into the lesson gradually. In my recent assessment, I attained an A grade which is pleasing. Talking of grades, I was actually on a E/F grades last year, but in Year 11, I haven't got lower than an A - quite an extraordinary turn around. Hopefully I can maintain such a high standard of work.

In my other subjects, I am trying to spend some time at home revising. Yesterday, I revised the benefits of tourism on the economy in Geography, making notes from my revision guide. Geography is one of my weaker subjects and, by the summer, I hope I have a solid B grade.

That's it for today. Work hard!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Week 1: Overall, it has been disappointing revision wise, because I have done very little. All I have done really, at home, is played Black Ops and FIFA. Hopefully, as my PlayStation Plus subscription expires today, I can get stuck into some revision.

An English Literature examination is due to take place this Wednesday (OMAM, AIC, poetry) and I have done virtually nothing in the build up to this exam.

In school, I have been trying my best, as usual. I must step up my game at home, though.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Day 1: Tuesday 26th January 2016

Today hasn't been too bad. Currently, in Computer Science, I'm working on my coursework which, surprisingly, is predominantly writing about programming rather than creating the program itself.

Business Studies today was difficult initially, but I grew into the lesson gradually. In my recent assessment, I attained an A grade which is pleasing. Talking of grades, I was actually on a E/F grades last year, but in Year 11, I haven't got lower than an A - quite an extraordinary turn around. Hopefully I can maintain such a high standard of work.

In my other subjects, I am trying to spend some time at home revising. Yesterday, I revised the benefits of tourism on the economy in Geography, making notes from my revision guide. Geography is one of my weaker subjects and, by the summer, I hope I have a solid B grade.

That's it for today. Work hard!

what exam board do you do for comp. science?
Reply 7
Original post by typicalstudent1
what exam board do you do for comp. science?

AQA.
Reply 8
February Half-term: I am intending on increasing the rigour and in doing so creating a revision schedule for this week. My room is a mess but I cannot be bothered to tidy everything up, I'd rather just get stuck into revision.

Yesterday: I did three GCSE Mathematics past papers (I'm with AQA by the way) all of which were supposed to reminisce the actual GCSE. My teacher informed me that I'm approaching the 'A' grade boundary, but, unfortunately, I suffered a big blow; I achieved a low 'B' grade - 98/200. In Unit 1, I attained a 'C' (23/54), Unit 2 a 'B' (36/66) and Unit 3 a 'C' (39/80).

Other than Mathematics I did nothing.

This afternoon: Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics are my priorities today.

Oh, by the way, for my Chemistry revision I will be making use of the AQA GCSE Chemistry Student Book which is extremely detailed, unlike CGP revision guides - which only tell you the basics.

I have the AQA Student Book on my laptop in the form of a PDF.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191805785325?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Another website which maybe of use to you is myGCSEscience - an absolutely brilliant resource for all modules in the GCSE Science syllabi.

http://www.my-gcsescience.com/

HAVE A NICE DAY!
Reply 9
A few days before revision will suffice if you're happy with As, Bs.
Original post by Ronnie.C
A few days before revision will suffice if you're happy with As, Bs.

Need lots of As. I'm not too bothered if I don't attain A*s.
UPDATE - 06/04/2016: BACK WITH A BANG

Revision has become somewhat intermittent for me in recent times; since the last time I posted here, it has been fairly minimal. I have been doing approximately an hour a day. I'm looking to increase my revision hours to have some chance of attaining A grades.

My revision plans for this afternoon:
- 3.1.1 Constants, variables and data types (Computer Science, AQA)
- The Miller-Urey Experiment (Chemistry, AQA)
- Simultaneous Equations (Mathematics, AQA)
- Aerobic/anaerobic respiration (Biology, AQA)

I might do some Physics later on, although I'm not too sure. I'd like to build up revision slowly but surely.
14.53: LOGGING OUT TIME!

Forest will be activated!
Reply 13
love u
Honestly cannot believe I last updated this thread a month ago! How time flies by...

UPDATE - 05/05/2016: 11 DAYS UNTIL THE FIRST EXAM!
I'm trying to revise properly, without procrastinating (yes, ****, I am still not 100% motivated).

By the end of today I should have covered:
- Enzymes
- Matters of Life after Death (did this in the morning)
- NEED TO DO CASE STUDY MIND MAPS FOR GEOGRAPHY (I keep putting this off)
- Vectors

How much revision are you doing?
Honestly cannot believe I last updated this thread a month ago! How time flies by...

UPDATE - 05/05/2016: 11 DAYS UNTIL THE FIRST EXAM!
I'm trying to revise properly, without procrastinating (yes, ****, I am still not 100% motivated).

By the end of today I should have covered:
- Enzymes
- Matters of Life after Death (did this in the morning)
- NEED TO DO CASE STUDY MIND MAPS FOR GEOGRAPHY (I keep putting this off)
- Vectors

How much revision are you doing?

How did your exams go? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
How did your exams go? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They haven't gone too badly, although the second week was better than the first.

If you're doing yours, how have they gone?
They haven't gone too badly, although the second week was better than the first.

If you're doing yours, how have they gone?

Not too bad overall - a few tricky ones! I'm halfway through now though - only 9 to go! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
This motivated me to get the hell up and revise.
Original post by lilacpotato
Not too bad overall - a few tricky ones! I'm halfway through now though - only 9 to go! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also have 9 to go, 12 already out of the way (wow, time flies).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending