The Student Room Group

• Babs' Road to 4 As •

Welcome to my study blog!

My name is Chels (not Babs haha, just a nickname but we'll go with it) and I'm 17, studying AS levels in Year 12. I take:

Maths (MEI)

History (Edexcel)

English Literature (Edexcel)

Politics (Edexcel)

I'm finding it a huge struggle so I've created this to not only help and motivate me but hopefully others too! :tongue:

I was rather lucky at GCSEs, my results weren't brilliant but I was quite fortunate as I got 2 A*, 8 A and 2 B and didn't put that much effort into them. I've now come into Year 12 with the same mentality and it's obvs not working... :colondollar: I don't know how well I'm doing in each subject truthfully, I get my mock results on the 2nd Feb... fingers crossed!

My exams

I am not liking the timings of each exam, they're so close together :angry: I'm screwed but hopefully this well help!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All the best of luck to ya! What do you wanna study at uni?
You're doing some interesting subjects- carry on :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ekno
All the best of luck to ya! What do you wanna study at uni?

Thank you! :smile:

I'm really not sure haha... ideally I'd love to do a maths degree but I think to study it at a decent uni it needs to be accompanied by further maths which I don't take :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Babs Posh
Thank you! :smile:

I'm really not sure haha... ideally I'd love to do a maths degree but I think to study it at a decent uni it needs to be accompanied by further maths which I don't take :frown:

ahh wicked, im sure you'll find something that works for you
Good luck :h:
X

Just wanted to add to the discussion, my GCSE's are pretty much exactly the same as yours (I got 2A*s, 8A's and 1C) and I recently got an offer from Cambridge (Comp Sci w/Maths).... Just as a bit of motivation hopefully :wink:

TSR is filled with 30A* students so I gotta spread the word that as far as I know, GCSE's will not hold you back if contextually you improve at AS :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by antigone-
Good luck :h:

Thank you!! Ditto :wink:

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Just wanted to add to the discussion, my GCSE's are pretty much exactly the same as yours (I got 2A*s, 8A's and 1C) and I recently got an offer from Cambridge (Comp Sci w/Maths).... Just as a bit of motivation hopefully :wink:

TSR is filled with 30A* students so I gotta spread the word that as far as I know, GCSE's will not hold you back if contextually you improve at AS :smile:

Wow that's amazing, massive congrats! Yes I need all the motivation there is haha, thank you! What were your AS results? Oh and I don't really know when to start revising, when did you start to crack down? Atm I'm acting as if I'm in Year 8 again and nothing matters... Need to get my ass in gear :K:
Wow that's amazing, massive congrats! Yes I need all the motivation there is haha, thank you! What were your AS results? Oh and I don't really know when to start revising, when did you start to crack down? Atm I'm acting as if I'm in Year 8 again and nothing matters... Need to get my ass in gear :K:

Haha ta but it wasn't meant as bragging, just a little motivation thing :P Thanks though :smile:

I got AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics (96.7,91,91,80.5 UMS in that order too, incase you were wondering). I do think the main reason I got in is because I got by far the best results at my school, as my UMS (92.8) is below average for Cambridge offer holders. Just aim to be the best among your peers, and hopefully that works out for you (btw, trust me you can do the best. Having higher results than my friends shocked me so much, but I think it came down to my dedication).

I started properly planning and doing revision in March, but I did take the Jan mocks somewhat seriously (getting B's and a couple A's).

Maths is the easiest to revise, as you can just continuously do textbook questions until you get confident enough to do past papers, then do all of them. I say easy, I mean straightforward as in it's a type of "ABC" revision plan. For essay subjects however, I found for Economics, doing a past paper and getting the best teacher I knew to mark it in detail was the most useful thing I did, but I assume, by your chosen subjects, you're much stronger than me in the essay field :P

Best of luck! If you need anything do contact me, I spend too many hours on TSR so helping people out is always lovely :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Haha ta but it wasn't meant as bragging, just a little motivation thing :P Thanks though :smile:

I got AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics (96.7,91,91,80.5 UMS in that order too, incase you were wondering). I do think the main reason I got in is because I got by far the best results at my school, as my UMS (92.8) is below average for Cambridge offer holders. Just aim to be the best among your peers, and hopefully that works out for you (btw, trust me you can do the best. Having higher results than my friends shocked me so much, but I think it came down to my dedication).

I started properly planning and doing revision in March, but I did take the Jan mocks somewhat seriously (getting B's and a couple A's).

Maths is the easiest to revise, as you can just continuously do textbook questions until you get confident enough to do past papers, then do all of them. I say easy, I mean straightforward as in it's a type of "ABC" revision plan. For essay subjects however, I found for Economics, doing a past paper and getting the best teacher I knew to mark it in detail was the most useful thing I did, but I assume, by your chosen subjects, you're much stronger than me in the essay field :P

Best of luck! If you need anything do contact me, I spend too many hours on TSR so helping people out is always lovely :biggrin:

I didn't take it as bragging haha, let the whole world know! :wink:

I find Maths the easiest, it's been something that I'm naturally good at but because of this it kind of gets neglected... I've never had to revise it before. I find essays harder suprisingly... love my subject choices :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I find them harder to revise for and struggle to get everything down in the time limits!

Thank you very much! Sure will, me too but I think I procrastinate in the process :tongue:
I didn't take it as bragging haha, let the whole world know! :wink:

I find Maths the easiest, it's been something that I'm naturally good at but because of this it kind of gets neglected... I've never had to revise it before. I find essays harder suprisingly... love my subject choices :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I find them harder to revise for and struggle to get everything down in the time limits!

Thank you very much! Sure will, me too but I think I procrastinate in the process :tongue:

Haha thanks a ton :smile:

Oh wow really, what made you choose these subjects? Oh yeah I remember the struggle with time limits... Especially for History GCSE! I personally didn't ever finish the last question of a History exam, I always had so much to say and ended up writing something very mediocre :biggrin: I always found it hard to shorten my sentences too, but luckily I don't need to worry about that stuff anymore :wink:

No probs. I think everyone procrastinates, so I do everything I can, when I finally have that tiny bit of motivation, to plan ahead and force myself out of this procrastination lol.
Welcome to my study blog!

My name is Chels (not Babs haha, just a nickname but we'll go with it) and I'm 17, studying AS levels in Year 12. I take:

Maths (MEI)

History (Edexcel)

English Literature (Edexcel)

Politics (Edexcel)

I'm finding it a huge struggle so I've created this to not only help and motivate me but hopefully others too! :tongue:

I was rather lucky at GCSEs, my results weren't brilliant but I was quite fortunate as I got 2 A*, 8 A and 2 B and didn't put that much effort into them. I've now come into Year 12 with the same mentality and it's obvs not working... :colondollar: I don't know how well I'm doing in each subject truthfully, I get my mock results on the 2nd Feb... fingers crossed!

My exams

I am not liking the timings of each exam, they're so close together :angry: I'm screwed but hopefully this well help!

If you need any help with history, maths or politics I'm here!

Good luck with your mock results! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by jamestg
If you need any help with history, maths or politics I'm here!

Good luck with your mock results! :biggrin:

Thank you very much! Same applies to you of course :smile:

I'm super nervous about my mock results because I know I'm going to be disappointed, hopefully it will motivate me to improve though...
Thank you very much! Same applies to you of course :smile:

I'm super nervous about my mock results because I know I'm going to be disappointed, hopefully it will motivate me to improve though...

No problem!

I'm sure you'll do okay and even if you don't get what you want in the summer - they're only mocks!! I'll happily bet that I get worse grades in the real things than I got in my mocks lol, happened at GCSE probs will happen again.
:eek4: you have a nice break for Politics but the other stuff... why, oh why, exam board fates, do they want to see students suffer? :shakecane:

Good luck with the mock results, and don't be disheartened if they're not as good as you might hope. There's time to improve and it's important to learn from them.

:woo:
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
:eek4: you have a nice break for Politics but the other stuff... why, oh why, exam board fates, do they want to see students suffer? :shakecane:

Good luck with the mock results, and don't be disheartened if they're not as good as you might hope. There's time to improve and it's important to learn from them.

:woo:

I know, it's like they want everyone to fail! :angry: I can already bet on the fact that there will be a load of cramming when exams come...

Thank you very much :smile: I hope I can learn from my mistakes and solve them before May/June, fingers crossed!
Reply 16
26/01/16

I've been feeling quite lethargic today, but managed to do at least something...

I made a mind map for the Constitution unit in Politics and organised my folder for it, pictures below :biggrin: I'm gonna have to self teach some of Politics because of bad teaching but that's okay because it might mean I understand it more!

Started C2 in Maths lessons today too and I'm pretty sure my brain is still hurting haha... I want to practice the chapters as soon as I learn them but I have so much homework instead :frown: I have a 40 mark Politics essay due in Thursday and still haven't started it, ugh I'm a mess.

I'm going to try and update every 2 days, so of course I can't sign off without a list to complete:

Complete C1 2005 past paper

Finish 40 mark essay :s-smilie:

File all classwork, I have SO many random bits of paper everywhere - I'm awful for this!

Hope everyone had a great day! Halfway through the week tomorrow, keep going!! :smile:

(Sorry for the pictures being on their side, I'm a total tech noob)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
29/01/16

Soooo I'm not very well and have had to take today off :frown: Hopefully I can catch up on a few things because I'm starting to feel quite overwhelmed... I feel so unorganised ahhh!

I got back a Politics 10 mark question yesterday on the sources of the constitution and got full marks, yay :biggrin: I handed in my 40 mark essay, I have a feeling that won't go quite so well!

I didn't finish the C1 past paper because my life's a mess haha, I might do that today though.

Has anyone starting to crack down on revision for their AS exams now? I feel like I need to plan it all out and start because I need all the time I can get :s-smilie: I might make a revision checklist on here or something, who knows. Today I want to get done:

C1 2005 past paper (...again)

Some form of revision timetable

Make C2 notes on what I've covered so far

Hope everyone has a good day :smile:
Reply 18
02/02/16

So I haven't updated in a while, oops! Nothing major has happened really, I want to start revising now but I don't know where to start as I can't stick to timetables :s-smilie: I haven't had much homework either...

But today I managed to revise what I've done in C2 so far - sequences and series! I don't think it was taught very well, but I feel like I understand it now after looking back :biggrin: Examsolutions is a life saver I swear!

This week I want to revise the whole unit of Elections and Voting in Politics, because it's probably one of my weakest topics. I need to catch up on some South Africa notes because I'm somehow missing loads, start making revision notes for English which will take forever, as well as start to read Beloved which I'm now studying in English... yay. :sigh:

I'm so nervous as I get my mock results on Thursday (4th)... eek! Apparently I don't have any Us which I'm happy with, I just hope this is true haha. I'd really like to pass all of my subjects but for some reason I don't think it will happen :frown: Just means more motivation to revise, right? :bricks:

106 days to go! (Stolen your idea @jamestg, soz)

:party:
(edited 8 years ago)
Literally i stg maths and history are the devils subjects:devil3:, I have my S1 mock tomorrow and then my C1 mock on Monday and my History mocks next monday and Friday also :frown: wish me luck haha.
Im also aiming for 4A's and got 3A*s and 10A's at GCSE - so we're practically twins already :cool:

What topics are you studying in History?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending