The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If a Christian man and Christian woman marry, but some time after marriage the woman converts to Islam, does the mere fact that she is now a Muslim mean she must now divorce her husband (assuming he doesn't wish to convert)?
Original post by The Epicurean
If a Christian man and Christian woman marry, but some time after marriage the woman converts to Islam, does the mere fact that she is now a Muslim mean she must now divorce her husband (assuming he doesn't wish to convert)?

I would be inclined to think so. But then again the whole principle behind why it considered 'bad' for women to marry men outside of their religion was because it was believed that the father would have a greater influence on the religion that the children would adopt. Hence why men of Islam are free to marry Christian and Jews.

That said, these topics are quite open ended. It's recently that Muslims have been taking religious texts from a cut and dry perspective which I personally believe is the reason behind the growth of fundamentalism. Rather than using religious texts by the Quran as a gentle guideline to living a good life depending on the time you're living in, a lot of Muslims will simply devour the texts with their own construed interpretations and think of it as set in stone.

Back to the marriage. I believe that back then this would have been applicable. We can safely assume that during those times the father did indeed have a greater influence on the children (particularly the boys). Today however? I would say it's different.
Reply 3
Original post by batoot
it's totally unfair, and it doesn't mean the kids won't be muslim. why?

i'd rather be with a decent christian guy than a muslim ******* like this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3847583

Spoiler

Not all of them are like that, isn't he a bit of a troll though? To directly answer your question, do as you wish. Each to their own. But your question doesn't ask for permission or whether its ok, its asking for for approval/the muslim society in general to accept this - which I doubt will happen.

Original post by High Stakes
I would be inclined to think so. But then again the whole principle behind why it considered 'bad' for women to marry men outside of their religion was because it was believed that the father would have a greater influence on the religion that the children would adopt. Hence why men of Islam are free to marry Christian and Jews.

That said, these topics are quite open ended. It's recently that Muslims have been taking religious texts from a cut and dry perspective which I personally believe is the reason behind the growth of fundamentalism. Rather than using religious texts by the Quran as a gentle guideline to living a good life depending on the time you're living in, a lot of Muslims will simply devour the texts with their own construed interpretations and think of it as set in stone.

Back to the marriage. I believe that back then this would have been applicable. We can safely assume that during those times the father did indeed have a greater influence on the children (particularly the boys). Today however? I would say it's different.

Just something I read which made me want to respond to this. you said 'which I personally believe is the reason behind the growth of fundamentalism' - I can't disagree with you more. You saying that we have all these problems because people take their scriptures to seriously. You saying, people take too seriously what they believe are the true divine words of God - like come on - this is a futile argument.
because islam is intolerant
Propagation strategy.
Reply 6
Original post by sleepysnooze

Like you are intolerant of Islam too.
I'm being brought up as a Hindu. It's hard having the restrictions e.g. no dating girls that are of a different race/religion/culture/etc... Honestly, I've tried asking my parents why, however they can't seem to answer that. (That's how it is, that's how it goes.) People are still hell-bent on "forcing" religion onto their kids. However, it's not even the religion I'm concerned about because I love it, it's the restrictions. It's based mostly on beliefs than anything else. Nowhere in the holy scriptures does it say "you are not allowed to date/marry a person of different race/religion/culture/etc... That's what aggravates me, but I'll have to live with it.

Quite a sweeping statement.
Everyone has to make their own decisions in life about choosing a partner. Some people think marrying someone of the same gender is wrong
Original post by Legit
Like you are intolerant of Islam too.

I'm intolerant of islam like I'm intolerant of nazism - intolerance of intolerance is a good thing.
Original post by SubZero~
Quite a sweeping statement.

nah not really
Reply 12
I'm intolerant of islam like I'm intolerant of nazism - intolerance of intolerance is a good thing.

Sucks to be you, because you will certainly see Muslims one day. Lets just hope your not in dear need for medical treatment just incase this 'Muslim Doctor' comes to your rescue but your 'intolerant of him/her'
I think it's something to do with the girl taking a non Muslim surname or something. If she has kids with a non Muslim the kids wouldn't be "proper" Muslims I think...
Original post by Legit
Sucks to be you, because you will certainly see Muslims one day. Lets just hope your not in dear need for medical treatment just incase this 'Muslim Doctor' comes to your rescue but your 'intolerant of him/her'

I'd let a nazi doctor operate on me if he were to save my life - my life is kind of important. I'm not going to let ideology kill me. but why are we talking about doctors now? was I suggesting that I'd let a muslim doctor neglect to treat me? their profession and their morality are different things. it's not like I'm going to make friends with every person I make contracts/transactions with.
Reply 15

Spoiler

i know its really long but if you read it it explains why in Islam it is not allowed :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I think it's something to do with the girl taking a non Muslim surname or something. If she has kids with a non Muslim the kids wouldn't be "proper" Muslims I think...

probably not in since in Arab countries the woman keeps her surname :3 but the kids take after their dad though :/
still you can change your surname X'D
Reply 17
I'd let a nazi doctor operate on me if he were to save my life - my life is kind of important. I'm not going to let ideology kill me. but why are we talking about doctors now? was I suggesting that I'd let a muslim doctor neglect to treat me? their profession and their morality are different things. it's not like I'm going to make friends with every person I make contracts/transactions with.

Lets not beat around the bush, when you don't like someone - you don't like them. When you need them, its open arms.

I completely understand if you don't like Islam etc, but hey - lets just along. Im not trying to make you think that your islamophobic etc but rather, you can disagree with what we believe in but lets not slate or make silly jokes like 'because islam is intolerant' on a sensitive thread like this.
Original post by Legit

Just something I read which made me want to respond to this. you said 'which I personally believe is the reason behind the growth of fundamentalism' - I can't disagree with you more. You saying that we have all these problems because people take their scriptures to seriously. You saying, people take too seriously what they believe are the true divine words of God - like come on - this is a futile argument.

I said that the scriptures were given by God to offer guidance to the followers of Islam on how to live a good life. In fact back then, many Muslim scholars encourages debates and discourses on the interpretations and applications of religious texts for different situations.

We'll agree to disagree. Thank you!
Reply 19
Original post by High Stakes
I said that the scriptures were given by God to offer guidance to the followers of Islam on how to live a good life. In fact back then, many Muslim scholars encourages debates and discourses on the interpretations and applications of religious texts for different situations.

We'll agree to disagree. Thank you!

I am all for discussion, debate and so on regarding scripture.

I disagreed at the part at which you said that you think fundamentalists arose because people take scriptures like stone. If the divine word of God, whatever it is - it should be taken to stone. I understand what you mean though - that theres deeper meanings etc. So yeah!

Latest

Trending

Trending