The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

2016-17 Sussex Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KieranWinterburn
Congrats! Have you looked at the accommodation section on their website? That's pretty useful as a substitute until you can see them in person. They do video tours of all the different flats.

I went to an open day last weekend and if you do manage to make it down to one of them they do tours of the accommodation pretty much all afternoon which is good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers man!! Yeah I've had a look and the only one I seem to like is the newly built one (Northfield I think?) hopefully on the applicant day there are others that I end up liking as well! do you know when we can apply for accommodation? what you studying and which accom did you like?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by yamyam77
cheers man!! Yeah I've had a look and the only one I seem to like is the newly built one (Northfield I think?) hopefully on the applicant day there are others that I end up liking as well! do you know when we can apply for accommodation? what you studying and which accom did you like?

Yeah Northfield is leagues ahead of all of the others, definitely gonna put that as my first choice. Although I reckon it's the most popular so not sure what the chances are of getting it! I think Swanborough looks alright as well, i really want a room with an en suite so my choices are kind of limited haha.

They said that applications for accommodation open in February and that we'll get an email with how to apply so I guess it's a matter of a couple of weeks now. I'm studying Politics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
I applied on october 15th, to study physics (mphys) with research placement. Got my first offer on the 12th december and last week they changed it to an unconditional one! The entry requirements were A*AA.
Original post by cbaker22
I applied 12.10.15 but still not had anything, apart from the welcome e-mail.

I've been searching "sussex offer" through the threads for days, doesn't appear they are offering yet.

Same with Brighton for that matter.

:nothing:

That's funny cos I got my offer like a week after sending off my UCAS application. I am studying Mechanical engineering. :smile: (all 5 offers have been returned within a month, are conditional and are from: Queen Mary, Brunel, City Univerity, Sussex and Surrey.)
Original post by KieranWinterburn
Yeah Northfield is leagues ahead of all of the others, definitely gonna put that as my first choice. Although I reckon it's the most popular so not sure what the chances are of getting it! I think Swanborough looks alright as well, i really want a room with an en suite so my choices are kind of limited haha.

They said that applications for accommodation open in February and that we'll get an email with how to apply so I guess it's a matter of a couple of weeks now. I'm studying Politics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cannnnooottttt share a toilet ffs I'm a clean person and if I end up with some dut room mates I will cry looooooool but yeah as soon as i get that email i'll be on it haha
Original post by yamyam77
I cannnnooottttt share a toilet ffs I'm a clean person and if I end up with some dut room mates I will cry looooooool but yeah as soon as i get that email i'll be on it haha

Exactly my thinking hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone who went to the applicant visit day - how did you find it ?
Hiya just got an offer for Zoology at Sussex! Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the cheaper accommodation is okay and if you can apply to stay there for year two and three?? Also what's the teaching like! I'm deciding between here or Nottingham so not quite sure which is a better course
Original post by 408655
For anyone who went to the applicant visit day - how did you find it ?

was good, I only went to see the chemistry department but they made the applicant day super fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone applied for psychology with a foundation year, I've been told that they haven't started looking at the applications for it yet...
Original post by Studybuddy6
Hiya just got an offer for Zoology at Sussex! Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the cheaper accommodation is okay and if you can apply to stay there for year two and three?? Also what's the teaching like! I'm deciding between here or Nottingham so not quite sure which is a better course

Hello :smile: The cheapest accommodation at the moment is East slope, but it is believed that the buildings will be demolished in the years to come as it is not meeting the standards to which students here would like it to be. I would advise that you see East slope for yourself on a visit day if possible as the google images are not a fair representation of what it really looks like inside. However, I am not saying that you should not put East slope down as one of your choices, I just want you to be aware of what it looks like before you go there when you move in and you feel disappointed that it does not meet your expectations.

I wish I had some photos to show you, but I don't live there and I am only telling you this because my friends who live there have told me that they don't like it. They have tried to swap their place in East slope for someone else, but unfortunately the negative reputation of East slope is enough to put anyone off from going there. I have heard that the corridors have quite a bad smell, the kitchen is obviously a mess. Also after taking a shower, you might want to put all your clothes on in the bathroom as you don't to be walking like you're on a beach through the kitchen.

I would advise that you apply for any of the other accommodation options if you don't feel that you like East slope, atleast you will be a bit more satisfied if your housemates/flatmates are not messy and noisy.

I don't know what the teaching is like in the zoology department as I am not a student there, though I wish you all the best! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bubblegumcat
was good, I only went to see the chemistry department but they made the applicant day super fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic! :smile:
Original post by 408655
Hello :smile: The cheapest accommodation at the moment is East slope, but it is believed that the buildings will be demolished in the years to come as it is not meeting the standards to which students here would like it to be.

East slope was a dive when an ex of mine was staying there ten odd years ago; christ knows how bad it must be now!
On the plus side, it has outstanding views of the setting sun.

Tbh, all of the on-campus accommodation looks quite disappointing barring Northfield and Swanborough, but obviously they're quite pricey at £150 p/w.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
East slope was a dive when an ex of mine was staying there ten odd years ago; christ knows how bad it must be now!
On the plus side, it has outstanding views of the setting sun.

Tbh, all of the on-campus accommodation looks quite disappointing barring Northfield and Swanborough, but obviously they're quite pricey at £150 p/w.

Yes, my lecturer was telling me that it was better back then when he was a student here and he lived in East slope himself!

To be honest, I think park village is decent enough for it's price but it would probably be better if there was less mess and noise
So like I've sent my application off and I'm normally patient but I wanna know before the accomodation thing opens
Really annoyed that Sussex still haven't made a decision for me yet and I sent in my application early November. I'm going to be so gutted if they haven't offered me by February and they've already opened accommodation applications!
Original post by Zionxi
If anyone applied for psychology with a foundation year, I've been told that they haven't started looking at the applications for it yet...

I was starting to get worried...
Original post by Zionxi

How do you know??:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Studybuddy6

Hiya!

What everyone has said about East Slope is true- It's pretty rough and ready! But some people love that it's cheap, it's probably the most sociable accommodation on campus (ie: where all the house parties happen!).

Brighthelm is great- they're like little houses and not too expensive :smile:

You can stay on in year 2 and 3 (I think) but you have to work as a warden (can't remember if that's what they're called) for the university- I believe you get some of your accommodation costs covered. (But don't quote me on this! As I'm not 100% sure).

But finding a house share in Brighton is really easy- and it's more fun living in the city in 2nd/3rd year IMO.
Original post by swiminthepoole
How do you know??:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed them and asked for a timescale for offers being sent out for the course.

Quick Reply