The Student Room Group

Brutally Honest: The A-Grade Procrastinator.

TL;DR : I haven’t done well in the last few years for tons of reasons, but I want to do well this year and get A* A (A)

This is the Brutally Honest blog, because I'd rather be upfront and honest about this.I did well in my GCSE’s, without much effort: 2A*, 5A’s 6B’s 1C & a Pass.

As much as I’m quite clever, I’m not always motivated. I’m the annoying child in the family, the one that’s capable of everything and yet barely does anything. The one that wings exams and will pass easily, but won’t achieve what they’re supposed to. I know it’s annoying, it’s not a trait that I’m so fond of any-more because of what happened post-GCSE.Just before my final GCSE’s my mum and ‘stepfather’ split. It didn’t really damage my GCSE grades, because I’d sat a lot of them early (started at 13), but it did affect my a levels.

It wasn’t technically a split. Think messy divorce. But 10x worse because there was a nasty court case running parallel to it and people I had called family since i was 2 all turned their backs on me. I then lost a lot of confidence due to other issues and it was a downward spiral from there pretty much. I got expelled from 6th Form for not turning up (and being sassy)So I transferred to college, but because it was so late (mid october) I was at a major academic disadvantage and had no friends. Then came depression, anxiety and insomnia etc.
Anyway cut a long story short that year I got, History (C) Photography (D) Physics (E) Maths(U). The college believed these grades were good. They weren’t good for me, they were the worst grades I’d ever had!

They wouldn’t let me continue Maths (which was fair enough), but allowed me to retake the year for physics. I continued History, dropped Photography and picked up English Language.

I did a lot better: English (B), Physics (C), History (C), but not as well as I should have done. As mediocre as these grades look, I did well in the exams, A’s and B’s, just time management for coursework brought the grades down.

I realise now how much of an affect friends have on your grades. At GCSE I was surrounded by friends wanting to do well. The CDEU year I had few friends and later they all dropped out. BCC year I had friends that wanted B’s/C’s for uni. This year 30% of my friends are Oxbridge candidates. 60% want all A*-B grades and only a few are aiming for C’s. So hopefully this year should result in some really good grades.

My Uni predictions are English (A), Physics (B), AS Business (A), but I would like English (A*) and Physics (A).

My Uni Offers:
Liverpool - AA
ARU - Unconditional
Aston -AA
Birmingham - Pending

My current class grades are: English - B, Physics - C/D and Business - A/B.
Physics is where I’m struggling most, my lack of A-level maths is a major hindrance specifically things such as logs and integration.

My goal for this week is to get a ‘D’ in both my Physics and English Mocks. It may seem a little low, but i haven’t managed to get higher than an E on a full past paper yet! :s-smilie:

Thanks for reading, Donatello.

P.S. If anyone actually likes this feeble attempt at blogging and realises I haven't posted in a while, give me a nudge. I'm probably procrastinating!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds like you are getting your grades up which is great! If you haven't already thought about it, you could get a tutor for maths/physics which might help? good luck! :smile:
Good luck! My 'journey' is quite similar to yours in terms of low AS grades but high targets. Hope you really focus this year and reach your full potential.
Reply 3
Original post by lou_16
It sounds like you are getting your grades up which is great! If you haven't already thought about it, you could get a tutor for maths/physics which might help? good luck! :smile:

Maths tutors are the biggest waste of money when you have YouTube...

Good luck OP!!
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg

Good luck OP!!

True, very true
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg

Good luck OP!!

Thanks! I have looked for a tutor but theyre pretty expensive like £35p/h! Ive tried Youtube with Dr Physics A, but he often sends me to sleep :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Ninjakam119
Good luck! My 'journey' is quite similar to yours in terms of low AS grades but high targets. Hope you really focus this year and reach your full potential.

So do I. Good luck to you too mate!
Having problems at home is awful, I can relate to that.

Good luck with your mocks and your results overall! :biggrin: :borat:
Reply 8
Good luck OP :biggrin: I hope you make it :smile:!!!
Good luck OP don't be disheartened, you have time and I'm sure the outcome will be great in the end :h: just keep working hard!!
Hi there @donte
Hope this blog helps keep you on track! Don't worry- I'll give you a nudge if you start procrastinating (you can't get rid of me! :colone:)

Good luck for this year- sounds like you've had a properly rubbish time of it recently :frown:

YOU. CAN. DO. IT!!! :h:
Reply 11
26th Jan 2016

I'm ashamed to say I havent done a lot, bearing in mind my English mock is tomorrow and the Physics one on Thursday.
I've been focusing on an extracurricular business project (that my team have failed to help finish) and so I've been sorting that out for most of today.

Luckily, I did some minor English revision in class today and some major recall Physics revision. My Physics teacher wasn't happy about my target of a D grade (everyone bar 1 girl, is aiming higher), but I still feel thats an acceptable, achievable goal.

In terms of physics I do believe that I have gone over every topic in basic depth. I'm going to do 30-60mins now focusing on Fields and Orbits.

Tomorrow,
from 8:20-9:20 I plan to do another hour of physics focusing on Thermodynamics,
then 9:30-10:30 will be English revision and then the Mock will follow.

Lunch may have some informal business work or physics revision, but nothing strenuous.

From 1:30-2:30, Physics tutorial for last minute questions and queries.
2:40 - 3:40, Physics focusing on Vibrations/SHM etc.
3:50- 4:15 Momentum Recap.

Hopefully I can keep to this mini revision plan!
Donte
Reply 12
29th Jan

Actually amazed at how well I worked. I've now completed all my mocks. The only result i have is my business one.

Spoiler

The physics wasn't too bad, a few iffy questions that totally stumped me (ill upload pics later)

The English paper wasn't bad either, after discussing with class mates I've written more than most, so hopefully that will reflect a better mark!

I've also finished my business project and created a kick-ass video for it and handed it in before the deadline.

I'm taking today off and am treating myself to new a game. Ill start hammering my English coursework tomorrow!

Donte.
good stuff, may i ask you what are you planning to read at uni?
Reply 14
Original post by lai812matthew
good stuff, may i ask you what are you planning to read at uni?

It depends on which university but its either:

International Business, Management & Languages

International Business, Management, Finance & Economics

International Business, Management & Economics (with languages as extra credit)

It genuinely took me forever to choose a course. I'd originally wanted to do law (from the age of about 11), then I joined St John Cadets and I wanted to do medicine.
I have too many interests which is why my courses arent just one subject, but hopefully I wont change my mind again during Adjustment/Clearing season lol. :s-smilie: :biggrin:
Reply 15
UPDATE! 29th JAN!

I received my Physics mock results.

Spoiler

Reply 16
Hi all. My computer doesnt want to upload the pics of the questions so i havent posted them.

Anyway today I spent time going over the first half of my physics mock exam. The part I seemed to do worst on was momentum concepts, I think it was a mixture of complacency in revising the topics and silly mistakes. I plan to do the second half tomorrow. I also made some mind maps and began another PH4 past paper too.

I'm also in the process of creating a designated revision area. At GCSE I converted our conservatory into a revision room, we've since moved house and we havent got anywhere near as much space. Hopefully this will be sorted by the end of the week.

Still waiting for my English Mock results. :smile:
Reply 17
So I've managed to find a revision area, it worked quite nicely today but I'm not sure how viable it really will be.
I've just done some revision, mainly writing things out and repeating them in my head, ensuring I fully understand them.

I did:
32 mins of Business, going over this weeks and last weeks notes: Human Resources, LTO & Motivations and Theorists.
38 mins of Physics: Capacitance and Magnetic Fields (PH5)
27 mins of English, going over Nouns, Adverbs, Phrases and other basic word classes. Simply because in class I made a pretty stupid mistake (called a Verb an Adverb :colondollar:) and clearly ive forgotten some really basic stuff.

The times are very accurate, but that's because once my mind begins to wander it can get really hard to focus, probably because its not used to revising outside of class, lol!

Goal for next week: Manage to repeat at home revision session at least twice, for the same amount of time or more if possible!

Hopefully should get my English mock results tomorrow. :biggrin:
(Kinda nervous though he went through the paper and I had none of the points he's picked out :s-smilie: )
Reply 18
I got my English Mock Results!!

Spoiler

Reply 19
Alongside the twice a week revision sessions, I've realised I need to work on my time management and be far less cocky/complacent about my studies.

I'm considering resitting my Physics and English Mocks, of my own volition, I feel like I underestimated myself in both, but this will be dependant on how much time I actually have at my disposal, which is currently none.

Tonight I plan to begin making my Physics wall display, sorting out my folders & files and getting ready to get my head down! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending