The Student Room Group

M1: pulley question on inclined planes

1453751667380-571705251.jpg

Is my diagram incorrect? Im not sur3 of mgcos45 because i turned the diagram around to treat P separately and thus the inclined angle was 45°.

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by tessa.lin

Is my diagram incorrect? Im not sur3 of mgcos45 because i turned the diagram around to treat P separately and thus the inclined angle was 45°.

Your diagram is fine, but mg cos 45 is incorrect. It should be another angle. Try drawing a line from a pulley to the base and separating it into two different inclined planes to help you get a feel for it.
Reply 2

I'm not sure where you got 45 from.

if you just consider the right-hand-side of the diagram then this is just like a normal inclined slope question. The force component perpendicular to the slope is mgcos(60).
Reply 3

shouldn't that be 60° on the right, for both sine and cosine?
Original post by Zacken
Your diagram is fine, but mg cos 45 is incorrect. It should be another angle. Try drawing a line from a pulley to the base and separating it into two different inclined planes to help you get a feel for it.

Original post by notnek
I'm not sure where you got 45 from.

if you just consider the right-hand-side of the diagram then this is just like a normal inclined slope question. The force component perpendicular to the slope is mgcos(60).

Original post by TeeEm
shouldn't that be 60° on the right, for both sine and cosine?

Thank you, Ive corrected myself now. To find tha acceleration do I use the reaction force at all? What do I start by resolving for?
Reply 5
Thank you, Ive corrected myself now. To find tha acceleration do I use the reaction force at all? What do I start by resolving for?

You will need to find the reaction for particle Q so you can get friction.

Try your best and post any working (doesn't matter if it is wrong). We can correct you if you make a mistake.
Original post by notnek
You will need to find the reaction for particle Q so you can get friction.

Try your best and post any working (doesn't matter if it is wrong). We can correct you if you make a mistake.

Oh i thought if the question said a smooth surface then we can assume there is no friction?
Reply 7
Oh i thought if the question said a smooth surface then we can assume there is no friction?

Sorry I meant particle P, not Q. P is on a rough surface and Q is on a smooth surface.
Original post by notnek
Sorry I meant particle P, not Q. P is on a rough surface and Q is on a smooth surface.

1453754558241-1756148712.jpg

Is this correct?
Can the m from both sides of the equations be crossed out?
Reply 9
1453754558241-1756148712.jpg

Is this correct?
Can the m from both sides of the equations be crossed out?

You're nearly there for P but you seem to have forgotten tension.
Original post by notnek
You're nearly there for P but you seem to have forgotten tension.

Oh right. So it would be:
Mgsin60-0.5 x mgcos60 - T=ma

And I can get T from Q by:
R (diagonally upwards) Q: T- mgsin30= ma
Reply 11
Oh right. So it would be:
Mgsin60-0.5 x mgcos60 - T=ma

And I can get T from Q by:
R (diagonally upwards) Q: T- mgsin30= ma

That's correct.

Now add the two equatiions to find the acceleration.
Original post by notnek
That's correct.

Now add the two equatiions to find the acceleration.

I might just be being very silly right now but doing this:
Mgsin60 -0.5mgcos60 - mgsin30 = ma
And crossinf out the mg is giving me -2.0839... which is far from the right answer
Reply 13
I might just be being very silly right now but doing this:
Mgsin60 -0.5mgcos60 - mgsin30 = ma
And crossinf out the mg is giving me -2.0839... which is far from the right answer

When adding the right-hand-sides of the equations : ma + ma = 2ma.

Quick Reply

Latest