The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Btw im no way slating gay people.
Original post by Lawliettt
To the people that said no, i have another question.

If you could choose for your next child to be gay right now? Would you do it?

I'm trying to work out if you guys said no the poll because

A. It involves changing DNA

B. You genuinely would rather your could have a much tougher life just so you feel like you've done something morally right

I honestly feel like it's the DNA factor putting most of you guys off. There's no logical reason for wanting your child to have a harder life

Most people voting 'no' wouldn't care either way; they would rather leave it be and not interfere on a genetic level because they do not care whether their child turns out gay or not.

Loads of people have a 'tougher life' for a variety of reasons: their political beliefs, religious beliefs, race, looks, height, etc. If you start trying to stop your offspring having a 'tougher life' then you're getting into designer babies.
Reply 242
Prevent a disability, yes I would replace a gene.
Homosexuality is not a disability
Therefore no

I would only want my child to be happy
Original post by Dopesmoker
God hates gays more than he hates genetic engineering :h:

Yeah of course he does - hates people he created going about their private business more than humans interfering with his abilities and 'playing God'. :rolleyes:
Original post by lilylf
thats literally exactly what your saying? you said you would change your son from being homosexual so he can be a 'real man' so your saying if your gay your not a 'real man' whatever a 'real man' is.

If you saw my other posts youd understand.
I mean proper in society as gays a lot of the time arent seen as real men. Especially in my culture
Original post by BlackSweetness

Please tell me the function of homosexuality

Population control? The Forever War clears this up quite well (I love this book and supposedly Ridley Scott was looking at making a movie of it but there's no way in hell you could do that without massive PC outrage)

But realistically we have many vestigial body parts and behaviors.

What's the function of prostate orgasms considering they are achieved via anal penetration?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Most people voting 'no' wouldn't care either way; they would rather leave it be and not interfere on a genetic level because they do not care whether their child turns out gay or not.

Loads of people have a 'tougher life' for a variety of reasons: their political beliefs, religious beliefs, race, looks, height, etc. If you start trying to stop your offspring having a 'tougher life' then you're getting into designer babies.

Well it looks like a lot of people on here would op for designer babies, so perhaps they should be allowed to have their choice to do so and not be stopped by society or by others. Would be interesting to see what the outcome would be anyway, if they really did benefit a lot by being designer babies in life I think.
Original post by tazarooni89

But that's not the way

Not really. An OP question isn't like some unquestionable act of parliament, it's a matter for debate.

If you claim for yourself the right (or assert you would exercise such a right), you have morally conceded that others are perfectly within their rights to remove the Islam gene from their children to protect them from the disadvantages and risks of the Islamic lifestyle
To the people that said no, i have another question.

If you could choose for your next child to be gay right now? Would you do it?

I'm trying to work out if you guys said no the poll because

A. It involves changing DNA

B. You genuinely would rather your could have a much tougher life just so you feel like you've done something morally right

I honestly feel like it's the DNA factor putting most of you guys off. There's no logical reason for wanting your child to have a harder life

I think the majority of people who said no did so because they think a parent shouldn't have the authority to decide who their children love. Based on that, the answer to your question is "let the child be" - if they're gay, then so be it.
Reply 249
Original post by TunaTunnel
Apart from it prevents humanity?

Original post by joey11223
Hmm interesting, I immediately choose that I wouldn't interfere with their sexuality.

However thinking about it, if someone's only child is homosexual, they are unlikely to reproduce. This does mean that you will not get grandchildren and your bloodline will end with them. Although we are more than "animals", direct fitness is still something most value, I don't think it necessarily makes someone a bigot to consider that when deciding, assuming they're only having a single child.

Gays can have children.
Original post by Blondie987
Nope! Wrong again! Disabilities can cause troubles for people including extreme pain, learning problems and not being able to do certain things that others can regardless of societies views whereas homosexuality harms no one except the homophobes who like to quote a book from over 6,000 years ago detailing the teachings of someone who may or may not exist

Wrong again? I was never wrong. I copied and pasted your own words which were contradictory.

Homosexuality can harm the individual too, they may not want to accept their sexuality and can become very depressed because of it.

It's okay for you to disagree and speak badly about the teachings of religion but it's not okay for someone to disagree with homosexuality?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Gays can have children.

They cant produce children.
Original post by random_matt
Sexual desire is due to a range of different factors, including biology, a person’s upbringing, education and social constructions at the time.

So how would you explain someone brought up in a strict Muslim family in Saudi Arabia being gay? They wouldn't have experienced 'gay social constructions' around them. Therefore it could only be down to biology.
Original post by cherryred90s
Wrong again? I was never wrong. I copied and pasted your own words which were contradictory.

Homosexuality can harm the individual too, they may not want to accept their sexuality and can become very depressed because of it.

It's okay for you to disagree and speak badly about the teachings of religion but it's not okay for someone to disagree with homosexuality?

+1
Are you plain retarded? Where did i talk about anything being wrong? I was curious an actual reasons for people saying no. As far as I'm concerned, there's none apart from a DNA argument.

Are you still struggling with that? People have very clearly explained it to you, I can't imagine why you would still struggle to understand unless you have severe intellectual deficits

Sure, in the future people might be more accepting. But we're not living in the future.

Actually, we are already living there. As has been pointed out to you, severe homophobia really only tends to be common amongst people who are quite poor and uneducated. Now it could be that you believe it's more common due to being surrounded by such people and living in that kind of lifestyle. But you shouldn't mistake your own prejudices and the prejudices of the sort of people you live around with some kind of general prejudice. The vast majority of people have no problem with homosexuality in this day and age, and it's absolutely no disadvantage to be openly gay at university or in your career.

So would you rather your next child be born gay than straight?

I wouldn't mind either way, I would allow my child to develop naturally. I encounter no homophobia in my everyday life, my parents were cool with it, nobody at university had an issue with it, and if anything it's been something of an advantage in meeting people in the legal profession willing to mentor and assist me. There's no reason why it would be a disadvantage except amongst the sort of backward and uneducated people who have absolutely no influence over my life and whose opinions are irrelevant to me.

Growing up in the same demographic and class, my child would have the same kind of experience... and probably even less of an issue in his life (if he was indeed gay) given another 15 or 20 years will have passed between now and when it actually becomes an issue for him

You seem quite worked up, and very angry about this. Are you sure there isn't.. something.. that's bothering you? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TunaTunnel
They cant produce children.

Women can use sperm donors and men can use surrogates. Try again.

Homosexuality can cause extreme pain.
It can harm the individual too, they may not want to accept their sexuality and can become very depressed because of it.

Homosexuality does not inherently cause extreme pain and depression. It causes some bigots to treat homosexuals badly, which causes extreme pain and depression. That's like saying being black causes pain and depression because some countries have wide-spread racist attitudes.

Religious beliefs are beliefs. Homosexuals are people.
I would not change this? Against genetic manipulation and alteration. I'd support my child whatever their sexuality.
Of course.

I wonder why someone would become depressed about their sexuality(!) it's not like there are places in the world can be stoned for it because of extreme ignorance and hate! Oh wait there are, yet another consequence of societies bigoted views. While i respect others' rights to believe whatever they want, I am definitely going to criticise a religious text that not only condemns homosexuality but supports slavery and says that those who also follow the teachings should not wear mixed fabrics (which I'm sure every Christian actually does(!))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending