The Student Room Group

Applied to one sixth form?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I get along better with guys but I'm so fed up of them - they can be so insensitive sometimes.
I wish my mum would let me board - uggghghgghghghghhhh
The only schools that are still accepting near me are colleges and I don't really want to go to a college.
There are too private schools a bit away that I guess I could travel to - but they aren't anything special and so I don't see any point in applying
*still sighing*

Aw, I know the feel. From what I've gathered, state schools actually want applicants pretty early? My friend is going to a state school next year, and he had to hand in his application by like a deadline in November, it's crazy.
But yeah, remember - whatever school you go to, it's the university that counts :biggrin: I don't think boardings that spectacular either, the only upside being you don't have to travel to school :yeah: (getting an extra lie-in) but I'm guessing I'll find out more in September. I'm more frightened I'll hate it, because the one thing that's worse than a school you don't like, is being stuck at a school you don't like. (I do hear sixth formers get their own rooms though, which is what I could REALLY do with) If you're super desperate to board, tell your mum how much it would help with your future (possibly better schooling, staying at school meaning more studying etc etc) and that you can come home on weekends etc. Worth a shot, eh? : P
Original post by draculaura
Aw, I know the feel. From what I've gathered, state schools actually want applicants pretty early? My friend is going to a state school next year, and he had to hand in his application by like a deadline in November, it's crazy.
But yeah, remember - whatever school you go to, it's the university that counts :biggrin: I don't think boardings that spectacular either, the only upside being you don't have to travel to school :yeah: (getting an extra lie-in) but I'm guessing I'll find out more in September. I'm more frightened I'll hate it, because the one thing that's worse than a school you don't like, is being stuck at a school you don't like. (I do hear sixth formers get their own rooms though, which is what I could REALLY do with) If you're super desperate to board, tell your mum how much it would help with your future (possibly better schooling, staying at school meaning more studying etc etc) and that you can come home on weekends etc. Worth a shot, eh? : P

They do - I know of a couple of state schools that were accepting till recently but my state school is better than them so I didn't see much point in applying.
I've tried all the boarding arguments before - my mum just won't let me....
She's so stubborn!!!!
They do - I know of a couple of state schools that were accepting till recently but my state school is better than them so I didn't see much point in applying.
I've tried all the boarding arguments before - my mum just won't let me....
She's so stubborn!!!!

Yeah : / I know what you mean. One thing about moving schools is that you've always got to move to a better one (haha) or there's no point.

Also, if you want one last argument for your mum (:lol:) is that you'll be gone in two years for university. Make her think how long the beginning of Year 10 was, and how much time left you have until you finish this year. That's how long you have left - may as well start now. :wink: My mum was quite upset with me leaving (and my dad even more so) but if you come home on weekends, it doesn't even seem like you went.
Yeah : / I know what you mean. One thing about moving schools is that you've always got to move to a better one (haha) or there's no point.

Also, if you want one last argument for your mum (:lol:) is that you'll be gone in two years for university. Make her think how long the beginning of Year 10 was, and how much time left you have until you finish this year. That's how long you have left - may as well start now. :wink: My mum was quite upset with me leaving (and my dad even more so) but if you come home on weekends, it doesn't even seem like you went.

I'm meant to be applying to a boarding school with my dad that's abroad (my parent's are divorced) - but I'm not talking to my dad atm so it's frustrating. My mum would never agree - she probably thinks that uni at 18 is too young!
Original post by 0lut0
The only sixth form I applied for is my school's sixth form, is it too late to apply for more?

Check their deadlines and if you can apply for more as a backup
I'm meant to be applying to a boarding school with my dad that's abroad (my parent's are divorced) - but I'm not talking to my dad atm so it's frustrating. My mum would never agree - she probably thinks that uni at 18 is too young!

Aw! Try to get in touch with him (if you really want to) - it'd be really cool to go to one abroad ! What about boarding schools in your area? You can come home more often, then. She might agree too - knowing that you're close to home. Flexi-boarding is also an option (if it's local) : P
Aw! Try to get in touch with him (if you really want to) - it'd be really cool to go to one abroad ! What about boarding schools in your area? You can come home more often, then. She might agree too - knowing that you're close to home. Flexi-boarding is also an option (if it's local) : P

The only boarding school "in my area" is ridiculously expensive and does pretty badly.
There's a couple further out that are ok - but their deadlines are probably long gone and I doubt I'd get a bursary for boarding
Ah cool! Congratulations on your place at NLCS, by the way - and good luck with the bursary :goodluck:
I've applied to four schools at the moment... My first choice is Charterhouse (but that's quite unlikely...) second is Uppingham, third is Cheltenham College, and if my luck has fallen into a coma I'll go to Fettes College. :P Yeah... it's a lot. If I somehow don't get into any, I'll flip :K:

"If your luck has fallen into a coma". Fettes is a fantastic school, up there with the best IB schools in the country.
The only boarding school "in my area" is ridiculously expensive and does pretty badly.
There's a couple further out that are ok - but their deadlines are probably long gone and I doubt I'd get a bursary for boarding

Aw. You could always e-mail them and ask (trust me, in these past few months I've been doing wayy too much e-mailing lol... guess it's just normal)
Original post by Calllu-m
"If your luck has fallen into a coma". Fettes is a fantastic school, up there with the best IB schools in the country.

I never said Fettes is a bad school? Hence, why I've applied to it. It's just that as a person who lives in Wales, going to a school in England rather than Scotland would help a lot, considering Scotland is much further for me to travel, and that the other schools appeal to me more - therefore being higher on my list. (Reason being their prospectus didn't impress me too much)And I'm pretty sure not getting into your first three choices is unlucky.
Original post by 0lut0
The only sixth form I applied for is my school's sixth form, is it too late to apply for more?

Well I think our chances to apply for other Sixth Forms ended in March. I was super scared that I wasn't going to get in. However, I applied for my school's sixth form and knew that I'd be eligible. However, I strongly advise you to go ahead and apply for some others. Do some research as to what's on offer and whether it will suit you.
Aw. You could always e-mail them and ask (trust me, in these past few months I've been doing wayy too much e-mailing lol... guess it's just normal)

I'll probably do that - I just don't really know where is worth applying to in my area....
Thanks!
I'll probably do that - I just don't really know where is worth applying to in my area....
Thanks!

Aw, it's fine! I'll give you some tips on how to tell if a school is good or not. (It seems I've become fairly good at it after months of searching...) The first thing that a school gives away is how many people went to Oxbridge. Always choose the school with more people who were accepted to Oxford/Cambridge. (Most schools usually do their own 'Congratulations! ___ people this year were received a place at Oxbridge!'
Secondly, look at their A-level results. Compare them with other schools, and your current school - that should also help. :smile:
Thirdly - ask them to take a look around the school (and don't worry; plenty of people do it.) You'll get a proper feel for the school
Thirdly; search on google about the school. Any bad press on a school is always said on the internet (after all, what isn't?) and you should find out pretty soon. (One school I got into when I was 11 was this school in my area called 'Rydal Penrhos,' I was thinking of going there - until I realised they apparently were going bankrupt from bad results and had to cut teachers and certain lessons. They were trying to impress us pretty hard on the entrance exam day too - taking us around the school and showing us all the pretty stained glass windows... talk about desperate, huh.)
Aw, it's fine! I'll give you some tips on how to tell if a school is good or not. (It seems I've become fairly good at it after months of searching...) The first thing that a school gives away is how many people went to Oxbridge. Always choose the school with more people who were accepted to Oxford/Cambridge. (Most schools usually do their own 'Congratulations! ___ people this year were received a place at Oxbridge!'
Secondly, look at their A-level results. Compare them with other schools, and your current school - that should also help. :smile:
Thirdly - ask them to take a look around the school (and don't worry; plenty of people do it.) You'll get a proper feel for the school
Thirdly; search on google about the school. Any bad press on a school is always said on the internet (after all, what isn't?) and you should find out pretty soon. (One school I got into when I was 11 was this school in my area called 'Rydal Penrhos,' I was thinking of going there - until I realised they apparently were going bankrupt from bad results and had to cut teachers and certain lessons. They were trying to impress us pretty hard on the entrance exam day too - taking us around the school and showing us all the pretty stained glass windows... talk about desperate, huh.)

I don't want to go to Oxbridge..... I don't know if that will mean anything to that though...
Also my current school is top non-selective state school in the country and we barely ever get any Oxbridge applicant.... (We have 8 with conditional offers I think this year out of something like 70 - but that year is a ridiculously clever year)>
I went to an open day for an independent school that does well, has enough money and I hated the atmosphere there - I probably should go for a tour but I don't have time to take out of school!! I have so many controlled assessments!!!
I don't want to go to Oxbridge..... I don't know if that will mean anything to that though...
Also my current school is top non-selective state school in the country and we barely ever get any Oxbridge applicant.... (We have 8 with conditional offers I think this year out of something like 70 - but that year is a ridiculously clever year)>
I went to an open day for an independent school that does well, has enough money and I hated the atmosphere there - I probably should go for a tour but I don't have time to take out of school!! I have so many controlled assessments!!!

Wow! 8 is pretty good, especially for an un-selective state school. One day school I was planning to go to (The King's School in Chester) constantly boast about themselves, though they only send 7 people per year. I think the Oxbridge thing isn't so much about going to Oxbridge itself, but it reveals a lot about the teaching and preparation they give you.
Wow! 8 is pretty good, especially for an un-selective state school. One day school I was planning to go to (The King's School in Chester) constantly boast about themselves, though they only send 7 people per year. I think the Oxbridge thing isn't so much about going to Oxbridge itself, but it reveals a lot about the teaching and preparation they give you.

I guess....
I emailed two schools about 30 minutes ago - I'll see what they say. I just want to apply to as many as possible and it's crazy!
I guess....
I emailed two schools about 30 minutes ago - I'll see what they say. I just want to apply to as many as possible and it's crazy!

Ah! Good luck! (I'm rather excited for you) - what has your mum said? Is she okay on a close by school if you flexi-board? Or are you going to stick to a day school? Either way; good luck! (There is a site I'm using - called UKiset, the reason I am is because Charterhouse asked me to sign up via their website. They let you apply up to five schools, and if they don't want you you can apply to another five. I would recommend it, but I do believe it's around a £200 fee with it. Oh, and you have to do a test!)
Ah! Good luck! (I'm rather excited for you) - what has your mum said? Is she okay on a close by school if you flexi-board? Or are you going to stick to a day school? Either way; good luck! (There is a site I'm using - called UKiset, the reason I am is because Charterhouse asked me to sign up via their website. They let you apply up to five schools, and if they don't want you you can apply to another five. I would recommend it, but I do believe it's around a £200 fee with it. Oh, and you have to do a test!)

Just day schools.....
I don't mind doing a test - I got into NLCS (and failed the others) with a test.
I don't think I'd apply using UKiset because money is tight....
Meh - we'll see
Good luck for your results!
I've applied for four, three state schools and one private school (scholarship needed though - I ain't rich lol)
Just day schools.....
I don't mind doing a test - I got into NLCS (and failed the others) with a test.
I don't think I'd apply using UKiset because money is tight....
Meh - we'll see
Good luck for your results!

Ah! Ikr. I don't mind doing a test... except the only place they do it is in either Oxford, London or Warminster :K: we've decided we're going to Oxford to do the test... have a nice weekend there while we're about it. One good thing about them is that it's tests you can't revise for, and logical things like reasoning papers etc. I'm okay at those, haha.
Good luck to you as well! I'm guessing the schools will reply tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending