The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
I am straight and I would definitely do it
Reply 281
Original post by simbasdragon
Financial surrogacy is also legal.

"It’s illegal to pay a surrogate in the UK, except for their reasonable expenses."
https://www.gov.uk/legal-rights-when-using-surrogates-and-donors/overview
Yes. Like it or not gay people are looked down upon by many. And so being gay is a disadvantage, just like being black is in many aspects.
Original post by ProfessorSnape
There seems to be higher HIV rates in gay men when compared to straight. Bearing this in mind, YES. I would want my children having a higher chance to live a longer healthier life.

That's like saying you wouldn't want your child to be a Muslim woman because of the higher rates of rickets because some Muslim women wear the veil.

HIV is not inherent to homosexuality, and most gay men live lives without the disease.

I also wouldn't want my child to have to face the social stigma homosexuals deal with

I guess you wouldn't want your child to be short, black, mixed race, red-headed, requiring glasses, etc. I hope you have enough money to pay for all this genetic engineering you'll be needing for your child to live a rosy life.
Original post by LeoAngliae
If you claim for yourself the right (or assert you would exercise such a right), you have morally conceded that others are perfectly within their rights to remove the Islam gene from their children to protect them from the disadvantages and risks of the Islamic lifestyle

I don't think so. I'm only saying I would exercise that right if I had it. I'm not saying that I, or anyone else actually ought to be given that right.

Deciding whether or not people as a whole should have the right to do something, and deciding what you personally would do if you had that right, are two very separate things.
Original post by Blondie987
You can pick and chose what you believe in but you can't back it up with evidence from a book that you only half follow. And for your information, no I would not get rid of my child if they had a disability! Because of the difficulties that they would face (outside of prejudice-third time saying this now!) I would want to give them an easier life by getting rid of their disability but if I were only doing so because of the ignorant views of other I would be part of the problem! Every child will face some kind of judgement but that doesn't mean I'm going to design them to make them fit into a world that believes hate is natural yet love between two consenting, unrelated adults is not! Btw I am gay and you seem to think you know more about my happiness than me, I have two loving parents whom I know would never dream of trying to change me because they love me for who I am and that's a huge part of person's happiness for which I can vouch! If I knew they tried to change me to make me fit into a cookie cutter image of how someone 'should' be I don't know if I'd ever want to see them again.

Can you read? I have said several times that there are different types of Christianity and there is not just one type of Christian. I have also said there is more than one religion. You cannot claim to be respectful of other religions if you continue to question their members and refer to their holy scripts as 'books'

Nobody said anything about getting rid of. You did say that if you could, you would prevent your child from being disabled by altering a gene.
Being heterosexual rather than homosexual would likely be giving them an easier life. In addition, if you read the responses, many of the people who have opted to have a straight child have not mentioned religion as part of their reasoning.

Oh don't try and play that card. Have I said anything about knowing about your happiness? You being gay would also explain why you are so accepting of homosexuality but leave little room for any other views.

Whether you like it or not, a huge part of both homosexuality and disability is prejudice.

That's funny that you're talking about your parents accepting you for who you are & you never wanting to see them again if they tried to change you when you have just said you'd change your own child if you could. Hmm
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
"It’s illegal to pay a surrogate in the UK, except for their reasonable expenses."
https://www.gov.uk/legal-rights-when-using-surrogates-and-donors/overview

The average price paid is £15,000, 'reasonable expenses' is a very vague term. Sure it's expensive, as is IVF for a couple who can't conceive. Ultimately, if the couple saves up, surrogacy is doable.
Reply 287
Original post by BlackSweetness
Sure it does mate, can remember the last time i saw two male gorillaz having it out behind the tree at chester zoo (y)

As humans every trait we have has a function or a reason.
Please tell me the function of homosexuality

It's not all species.But you have a good example with penguins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27405652

Homosexuality probably developed when men started to build social groups. Due to the low life expectancy, many children were orphans, so gay men could 'adopt' them - whilst heterosexual men probably only want to raise their own offspring. Homosexuals therefore helped to spread the human race.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
It's not all species.But you have a good example with penguins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27405652

Homosexuality probably developed when men started to build social groups. Due to the low life expectancy, many children were orphans, so gay men could 'adopt' them - whilst heterosexual men probably only want to raise their own offspring.

Mate what are you talking about?
Reply 289
Original post by BlackSweetness
Mate what are you talking about?

I explain to you the 'function' of homosexuality.
Original post by Lady Comstock

I guess you wouldn't want your child to be short, black, mixed race, red-headed, requiring glasses, etc. I hope you have enough money to pay for all this genetic engineering you'll be needing for your child to live a rosy life.

Never did I say I wouldn't accept my child being gay. Of course I would allow my child to hold their own views and sexuality and accept it. Its not something I would prefer but nonetheless accept out of the love for my child... What? Paying for genetic engineering? You serious? I merely responded to the OP that if I were given the choice in that particular circumstance. No need to get butt hurt and show no respect for an opinion.
Honestly surprised by the number of yes's in all honesty - but more surprised by the reasoning in the first few pages. I personally wouldn't as it's not like it'll directly harm the child - I don't think you should be able to dictate a large part of someone's life in such a way.

The only reason I'd consider saying yes is due to the disadvantage it can put on their life. Things like the higher chance they'll commit suicide, potential bullying ect. I can kind of understand a yes from that point of view. However I struggle to understand some of the other reasons on this thread. I'd be interested to see how people would respond if they were asked if they'd change gender or another feature that's currently uncontrollable - to me they are very similar questions.
Original post by cherryred90s
Can you read? I have said several times that there are different types of Christianity and there is not just one type of Christian. I have also said there is more than one religion. You cannot claim to be respectful of other religions if you continue to question their members and refer to their holy scripts as 'books'

Nobody said anything about getting rid of. You did say that if you could, you would prevent your child from being disabled by altering a gene.
Being heterosexual rather than homosexual would likely be giving them an easier life.

Oh don't try and play that card. Have I said anything about knowing about your happiness? You being gay would also explain why you are so accepting of homosexuality but leave little room for any other views.

Whether you like it or not, a huge part of both homosexuality and disability is prejudice.

That's funny that you're talking about your parents accepting you for who you are & you never wanting to see them again if they tried to change you when you have just said you'd change your own child if you could. Hmm

I'm honestly about to give up arguing with you because you can't seem to get it into to your head that being disabled and being gay are not the same thing. And as I have said, multiple times, you are entitled to believe whatever you want but you cannot justify it by saying 'it's in this book' when you simultaneously disregard its other teachings, if you truly believe that the bible (as an example) is God's word then surely you can't disregard any of it, it'sall or none cherry picking surely means that you can easily switch between supporting homosexuality and not supporting it. I made a post, you challenged it so don't try and play the victim as if I've been trying to make you seem misinformed or that I've been saying that I believe your views are wrong because of my sexuality! As that is not what I'm trying to do. Racism is still prevalent, particularly towards those who aren't Caucasian, in our society so are you trying to say that if you found out your baby would be mixed race, you would choose for them to be white? Raising your child from a young age to believe that differences are wrong is bad for them and those around them, this is where the prejudice (which you supposedly are trying to shield your child from) originates!
Original post by ProfessorSnape
Never did I say I wouldn't accept my child being gay. Of course I would allow my child to hold their own views and sexuality and accept it. Its not something I would prefer but nonetheless accept out of the love for my child... What? Paying for genetic engineering? You serious? I merely responded to the OP that if I were given the choice in that particular circumstance. No need to get butt hurt and show no respect for an opinion.

The basis you gave was the supposedly higher rates of HIV in gay men. I argued that that is a flawed basis for such a view and akin to saying you do not want your child to be a Muslim woman due to the higher rates of rickets. You also referred to the social stigma, which I argued attaches to redheads, black people, etc., yet I doubt most people would pay for genetic engineers to change their genes.

I appreciate what you're saying above, but I just responded to the arguments you originally made.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gavin2016
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

No, I wouldn't edit the genes of my unborn child unless it was their only way of survival.

The only reason I would is if I knew they would suffer tremendously as a result, e.g if the global society was worse than Russia or Saudi Arabia (sorry for generalising) with regard to the LGBTQ+ community. I would try to protect them as much as is physically possible, but if I knew they for example would be executed at birth and there was no way out, I would then consider whether they would change their sex, but not gender (technically then they would break no rules) in order to love who they were born to, or would they suppress their nature for their own sake.

All of this would depend on their value on life, sexuality, and gender identity.

Interesting question, not such a clear yes/no.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
The basis you gave was the supposedly higher rates of HIV in gay men. I argued that that is a flawed basis for such a view and akin to saying you do not want your child to be a Muslim woman due to the higher rates of rickets. You also referred to the social stigma, which I argued attaches to redheads, black people, etc., yet I doubt most people would pay for genetic engineers to change their genes.

I appreciate what you're saying above, but I just responded to the arguments you originally made.

I thank you for responding in a mature manner. In response to your argument, my reply was to the OP who clearly stated whether one would change the genes of someone who was GAY. I personally would. Whether or not my comments are analogous to being a Muslim woman or a black person it doesn't matter. My argument is that I would want the best for my child. Wouldn't most parents? I want my children to be respected for who they are. Nonetheless, if they were gay, I would definitely accept my children as they are. Your argument is a strong one albeit slightly off topic. Homosexuals face challenges globally. If we take your examples of a Muslim woman and black people, I wouldn't change their genes because it is a completely different issue. In some parts of the world Muslim women do not face what you described as 'higher rates of rickets'. Nor is there stigma for black people living in Kenya. Everything depends on circumstances and subjectivity. Under the circumstance in which OP stated I responded with my views..
(edited 8 years ago)
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

Yes I would.

That's not me suggesting I am against homosexuality etc, but why would anyone willingly choose to be something/someone that puts them at a disadvantage in life or potentially subject to abuse or discrimination? Yes it is a sad reflection of society but I would want the child to grow without any fear of not being accepted and hence replacing the gene to achieve that would be the best way forward.

In a sense you are suggesting that a "gay gene" is somehow a defect that needs replacing and so you help to support my viewpoint.
yes definitely. i am an only child and would like to ensure that my family name dosent end with me.
Reply 298

Whats the point..anyway
My child if they grow up homosexual
They will able to still get married,ways to have kids exist for them and have careers.
And honestly i dont have the heart todo that andits not even a disorder or a disease.
So whats the point to force change their sexuality?
Reply 299
And just make acomment

No doctor or science people can tell when a baby is a homosexual.

So how would they change it ,if they are no evidences until they the homosexual are bit older
Like age 10.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending