The Student Room Group

Product Design A Level - would it be useful if i want to pursue a publishing career?

i'm currently taking graphic products as a gcse. I want to do Product Design as an A level next year because I think it would help me for getting a publishing job in the future.

so, if you've done a Product Design A Level (or AS) how hard is it? do you personally think it would be a useful A level for the publishing industry?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

@CoolCavy
You do Product Design don't you?
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
i'm currently taking graphic products as a gcse. I want to do Product Design as an A level next year because I think it would help me for getting a publishing job in the future.

so, if you've done a Product Design A Level (or AS) how hard is it? do you personally think it would be a useful A level for the publishing industry?

Original post by Kholmes1
@CoolCavy
You do Product Design don't you?

i do indeed :smile: AS atm :h: thanks for tagging me :hugs:
in response to the OP:
it really isn't that hard imo, in fact i would say compared to my other A levels both the exam and the coursework are the easiest subject. The workload isn't horrendous either, especially not compared to art (do both and managing just fine :smile:). As long as you are organised with your portfolio and get it done on time then it isn't stressful and the theory side is actually very interesting and quite straightforward :smile: i think it might not directly (not as much as something like english) but in combination it would help i think as you learn all about batch production, manufacturing methods etc :smile:
any questions feel free to ask and i hoped that helped a bit :h: x
Original post by CoolCavy
i do indeed :smile: AS atm :h: thanks for tagging me :hugs:
in response to the OP:
it really isn't that hard imo, in fact i would say compared to my other A levels both the exam and the coursework are the easiest subject. The workload isn't horrendous either, especially not compared to art (do both and managing just fine :smile:). As long as you are organised with your portfolio and get it done on time then it isn't stressful and the theory side is actually very interesting and quite straightforward :smile: i think it might not directly (not as much as something like english) but in combination it would help i think as you learn all about batch production, manufacturing methods etc :smile:
any questions feel free to ask and i hoped that helped a bit :h: x

thank you!

so, what do you actually do in product design? what's the main focus on?
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
thank you!

so, what do you actually do in product design? what's the main focus on?

hey :smile: sorry for the late reply, ironically i was doing PD coursework :lol:

well i would say that the main focus is on practical (making and designing) as i have 7 lessons of practical a fortnight but 3 lessons of theory a fortnight :smile: however it is 50% 50% so do not neglect the theory side as you can't get a good mark without it :smile: xx
Original post by CoolCavy
hey :smile: sorry for the late reply, ironically i was doing PD coursework :lol:

well i would say that the main focus is on practical (making and designing) as i have 7 lessons of practical a fortnight but 3 lessons of theory a fortnight :smile: however it is 50% 50% so do not neglect the theory side as you can't get a good mark without it :smile: xx

I never knew what Product Design was I thought it was just kind of like graphics. Is it like a mix between resistant materials and graphics?
Reply 7
Original post by Kholmes1
I never knew what Product Design was I thought it was just kind of like graphics. Is it like a mix between resistant materials and graphics?

From experience of doing both resistant materials and graphics at GCSE, what I've found so far with PD( I'm half way through the AS) is that it leans towards the resistant materials side massively with only aspects coming from graphics. For example, the only graphics content covered so far has been paper and card and printing methods compared to the rest being resistant materials based.
It's such a good course and is easily done without any previous background in the subject I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take product design after u have taken triple science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by AsandaLFC
Take product design after u have taken triple science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Triple science is irrelevant to PD, even double is which is what I did. None of the course content involves much science. Only thing I have came across that is mildly science based is the bio plastics section and even that was taught as if no one had done science nor has it ever appeared on a science specification that I've followed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest