The Student Room Group

Help me decide my insurance - Durham, Edinburgh, or Bristol

Hi!

I need to choose insurance out of
- NatSci at Durham A*AA (A* in maths)
- Chemical Physics at Edinburgh A*AA
- Chemical Physics at Bristol A*AA

I have no idea which one to choose so I need some input from people at those universities or people who are knowledgable in this area.

Here are some points to consider:
- I am an international student so international reputation for me is quite important.
- Night life is not important.
- My absolute priority is quality of education (facility, lecturers, tutorial system etc...). Highest value for money in terms of quality of education is vital for me seeing I will be paying a ridiculous amount of fee as an international.
- I will be taught by both department of chemistry and physics due to my course choice.
- I do not have any sports or activity I particularly want to pursue at university, I'll just take up whatever I like the look of.
- I'm not sure about my future plan. Going into research is an option, and would like to stay in science but might change my mind in 4 years who knows...working abroad is an option (going back to first point about international reputation)

I would appreciate any input
Thank you in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
As a matter of preference, I would go for Durham. Edinburgh would be my 2nd choice from your list.
Original post by C0balt
Hi!

I need to choose insurance out of
- NatSci at Durham A*AA (A* in maths)
- Chemical Physics at Edinburgh A*AA
- Chemical Physics at Bristol A*AA

I have no idea which one to choose so I need some input from people at those universities or people who are knowledgable in this area.

Here are some points to consider:
- I am an international student so international reputation for me is quite important.
- Night life is not important.
- My absolute priority is quality of education (facility, lecturers, tutorial system etc...). Highest value for money in terms of quality of education is vital for me seeing I will be paying a ridiculous amount of fee as an international.
- I will be taught by both department of chemistry and physics due to my course choice.
- I do not have any sports or activity I particularly want to pursue at university, I'll just take up whatever I like the look of.
- I'm not sure about my future plan. Going into research is an option, and would like to stay in science but might change my mind in 4 years who knows...working abroad is an option (going back to first point about international reputation)

I would appreciate any input
Thank you in advance.

Edinburgh probably has the best international reputation. Not sure about Chemistry but I think Durham is best for Physics.
Reply 3
Original post by C0balt
Hi!I need to choose insurance out of- NatSci at Durham A*AA (A* in maths)- Chemical Physics at Edinburgh A*AA- Chemical Physics at Bristol A*AAI have no idea which one to choose so I need some input from people at those universities or people who are knowledgable in this area.Here are some points to consider:- I am an international student so international reputation for me is quite important.- Night life is not important.- My absolute priority is quality of education (facility, lecturers, tutorial system etc...). Highest value for money in terms of quality of education is vital for me seeing I will be paying a ridiculous amount of fee as an international.- I will be taught by both department of chemistry and physics due to my course choice.- I do not have any sports or activity I particularly want to pursue at university, I'll just take up whatever I like the look of.- I'm not sure about my future plan. Going into research is an option, and would like to stay in science but might change my mind in 4 years who knows...working abroad is an option (going back to first point about international reputation)I would appreciate any inputThank you in advance.

I agree with Unkempt_One in that Edinburgh has the best international rep of the 3, and I must say the course structure for the Physics courses at Edinburgh is the best I have seen. Here is the course structure for your course (you have probably had a look at it already but just in case you haven't): http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/15-16/dpt/utchphm.htm
Reply 4
Original post by Unkempt_One
Edinburgh probably has the best international reputation. Not sure about Chemistry but I think Durham is best for Physics.

Original post by PLM98
I agree with Unkempt_One in that Edinburgh has the best international rep of the 3, and I must say the course structure for the Physics courses at Edinburgh is the best I have seen. Here is the course structure for your course (you have probably had a look at it already but just in case you haven't): http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/15-16/dpt/utchphm.htm

Thanks to you two. Yes I've seen the course structure of Edinburgh and I quite like it. I have checked Durham NatSci structure but it is very confusing because of too many choices (I mean it is a good thing, but very confusing when I haven't actually sat down and considered exactly which options to take)

I have been wondering why Durham is considered to be the best out of these in the UK (highest UCAS tariff too) whilst it is arguably the least known outside of the UK. Do you have any idea why?
Original post by C0balt
Thanks to you two. Yes I've seen the course structure of Edinburgh and I quite like it. I have checked Durham NatSci structure but it is very confusing because of too many choices (I mean it is a good thing, but very confusing when I haven't actually sat down and considered exactly which options to take)

I have been wondering why Durham is considered to be the best out of these in the UK (highest UCAS tariff too) whilst it is arguably the least known outside of the UK. Do you have any idea why?

Durham is pretty much considered second best to Oxbridge for national reputation in the UK. I think the reason it has low international rep is because nothing else really happens in Durham, even more so than in the other university cities, and because it's not Oxbridge the uni itself doesn't make a big enough splash in the water.
Original post by C0balt

I'll guide you through the physics options for the Chemistry and Physics course at Durham. The choice in first year is between Maths options aimed at Science students (Single Maths A and B) or Maths options aimed at those doing a Maths degree (Linear Algebra I and Calculus and Probability I). I would recommend the latter if you're interested in Maths AND are very good at it. It seems there are no options in second and third years if you want the 'MSci in Chemistry and Physics' degree title. In the fourth year you're choosing between doing a research project in Physics or Chemistry. 'Foundations of Physics 4B' is just the modules 'Foundations of Physics 3B' with an additional open-book test.

Durham's international reputation isn't quite there yet (though it's currently trying quite hard to get more recognition). Part of this is because it has undergone rapid expansion in recent years. Because of its collegiate system and relatively strong academics it's very competitive and attracts very strong students in certain subjects. It has some relatively lacklustre departments as well, but its Physics and Chemistry departments are very good.
Original post by GenericUsername4
Durham is pretty much considered second best to Oxbridge for national reputation in the UK. I think the reason it has low international rep is because nothing else really happens in Durham, even more so than in the other university cities, and because it's not Oxbridge the uni itself doesn't make a big enough splash in the water.

Lol, slightly exaggerated claim there. Durham is an excellent university but it has a long way to go to reach the likes of Imperial, LSE and perhaps UCL in terms of national and international rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending