The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

worrying, stress, social anxiety

hello,
Im thinking of going to the GP about how i feel but unsure to do so or not as i am terrified and feel stupid, but my issues are getting worse and feel the need to seek advice and help.
I have been depressed and anxious for about 3 years and last summer (2015) my anxiety got really bad, i was constantly panicking and worrying and couldn't handle my job anymore that i had been working at for three year, i kept breaking down and feeling sick so i quit and went into hibernation before university started again in September, since then i have had good and bad days but mostly bad especially when I'm on my own. i feel safe with my partner, but when I'm with people i don't no well at uni or i am on my own i panic a lot and get sweaty and nervous and sometimes a feeling of a fist in my throat and i panic and want to escape the situation, the situations are normally going to societies, new people speaking to me (specifically my own age or around that), hearing people behind me talking or just around or when people have eye contact with me.

when i am drunk i feel a lot less anxious (butt still get the anxiety just not as bad), i do like going out drinking but apart from that i don't do anything else social wise, I'm finding it hard to leave my flat and feel comfortable at the moment, i just want to stay in because i don't have to deal with the pain of going outside on my own were theres people watching me, however if i have my headphones on it helps a bit because it blocks out people talking around me.

any advice ect, thanks x
Original post by LRoe
hello,
Im thinking of going to the GP about how i feel but unsure to do so or not as i am terrified and feel stupid, but my issues are getting worse and feel the need to seek advice and help.
I have been depressed and anxious for about 3 years and last summer (2015) my anxiety got really bad, i was constantly panicking and worrying and couldn't handle my job anymore that i had been working at for three year, i kept breaking down and feeling sick so i quit and went into hibernation before university started again in September, since then i have had good and bad days but mostly bad especially when I'm on my own. i feel safe with my partner, but when I'm with people i don't no well at uni or i am on my own i panic a lot and get sweaty and nervous and sometimes a feeling of a fist in my throat and i panic and want to escape the situation, the situations are normally going to societies, new people speaking to me (specifically my own age or around that), hearing people behind me talking or just around or when people have eye contact with me.

when i am drunk i feel a lot less anxious (butt still get the anxiety just not as bad), i do like going out drinking but apart from that i don't do anything else social wise, I'm finding it hard to leave my flat and feel comfortable at the moment, i just want to stay in because i don't have to deal with the pain of going outside on my own were theres people watching me, however if i have my headphones on it helps a bit because it blocks out people talking around me.

any advice ect, thanks x

I completely get what you're going through, I'm kinda in the same situation. Going to the GP is one of the best things you can do, because they can provide the help you need. And don't worry about feeling stupid, what you're going through is not stupid. A lot of people go through it.

With regards to uni, take it slowly. Make like daily goals. Small things that can help you work with your anxiety. For example, say "Today I will talk to a new person". It is difficult, I completely understand. Try figuring out what exactly are you triggers and slowly work to fix them. Also a good diet and exercise can help with anxiety. Or do an activity you really enjoy and use that as a release. Hope that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
hey, thanks for the advice,
i have tried to help myself like doing yoga but that hasn't helped much, i do sometimes try to make goals for myself like talk to new people, but if i don't manage it i take it out on myself, but i will keep trying at this.
thank you
Reply 3
Original post by UnknownAnon
I completely get what you're going through, I'm kinda in the same situation. Going to the GP is one of the best things you can do, because they can provide the help you need. And don't worry about feeling stupid, what you're going through is not stupid. A lot of people go through it.

With regards to uni, take it slowly. Make like daily goals. Small things that can help you work with your anxiety. For example, say "Today I will talk to a new person". It is difficult, I completely understand. Try figuring out what exactly are you triggers and slowly work to fix them. Also a good diet and exercise can help with anxiety. Or do an activity you really enjoy and use that as a release. Hope that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally agree, going to the GP is the best thing to do. I suffer with depression and anxiety and at the moment I'm struggling with stress and anxiety too. When my depression got really bad I went to my GP who helped me and referred me to the right people who really got me through it, and I'm nowhere as bad as I was back then, which was about a year ago.

Also, if you feel socially anxious, maybe find the friends of people that are close to you and try to spend time with them as you're more likely to be more easily comfortable with them, and I found that when I struggled with trying to get out the house and be social, which is still an issue of mine, just trying to spend time with people close to me really helps as I can be comfortable whilst being a bit more social.

It's good that you feel comfortable with your partner, and it's good to talk to someone you trust when you feel anxious, as hard as it is - trust me, I've been there.

I hope you get the help you need and also a lot of feeling better is also about you trying to find ways to counteract these feelings of worry or "downness"

Lots of love and hugs :smile:

Latest