The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
Good books for Law? I plan to read a tonne of books about Law and also books related to my history a level. To prepare myself for the amount of reading ill do at a level.

I ak currently reading The Law Machine

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/mcbridesguide-21 This website has a series of books recommended by Nicholas McBride (director of studies for law at Pembroke College, University of Cambridge). All the ones I've read so far have been interesting/insightful and would probably stand you in good stead. If you've not read his book Letters to a Law Student I would recommend that first though only half will be useful to you pre-university.
Original post by fire_and_ice
5 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs and a D

Woohoo! I was so relieved when I checked my email omg SO HAPPY

I checked portico and upon seeing it was being 'processed' I just thought WHAT IT CHANGED?! So I checked track - not even expecting anything - only to see I got an offer, that was the biggest shock of my whole life!! :dance: How are you feeling about potentially studying in London? :colondollar:
Original post by Maria005
Hi! I have also applied to KCL and I was wondering whether or not they first give out the rejections ? I have applied in mid October and still have not heard back from them

I think they have already given out some rejections, but seems like no offers yet. I am waiting since November 9th as well
Original post by crocface
I think for LNAT they are not so strict as other Top Unis but still expect reasonable scores

My application so far:

Oxford and Kings - rejected
QMUL and Exeter - offers
Bristol - waiting

I will firm Bristol if I get an offer, with QMUL as insurance.

I just got an offer from Bristol :smile:
Original post by Bijoux1801
I just got an offer from Bristol :smile:

Fantastic. I checked UCAS but no surprize for me yet.
What time did it arrive do you get a mail from them or UCAS first ?

I hope to join you in the winner´s club soon. Well done!
Original post by alexandra48
Well done with your offer!☺️when did you sit your LNAT/send your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks so much xx sat my lnat last week and sent off my application mid october x
Original post by kirstensiena
thanks so much xx sat my lnat last week and sent off my application mid october x

That's quite similar to me! Are you from Scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crocface
Fantastic. I checked UCAS but no surprize for me yet.
What time did it arrive do you get a mail from them or UCAS first ?

I hope to join you in the winner´s club soon. Well done!

Im definitely hoping and praying your surprise will come fast too! I had basic AS grades: ABBC
So I'm surprised they gave me an offer

It came as a UCAS email. It arrived at an odd hour..like at 11pm. But I live in Kenya so time zone is different
(edited 8 years ago)
Received my Durham offer last night! 🎉🎉 Over the moon as it's my first choice. Now just need to get the grades...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by seeunexttuesday
http://astore.amazon.co.uk/mcbridesguide-21 This website has a series of books recommended by Nicholas McBride (director of studies for law at Pembroke College, University of Cambridge). All the ones I've read so far have been interesting/insightful and would probably stand you in good stead. If you've not read his book Letters to a Law Student I would recommend that first though only half will be useful to you pre-university.

That book is highly overrated, a waste of money and the contents are not worth the paper its written on. McBride should just rename the book 'Letters to a Cambridge Law Student' instead. Cambridge operates under a collegiate system where you have one lecturer babysitting the same 7 students for that entire academic year. So there is no way in hell that the 7 students will perform miserably in exams. If you bear this in mind and re-read the book, you can see that the intention behind the book was to guide Cambridge students or students from any other institution that practices the collegiate system.

If it were up to me, law students should read books on administrative, constitutional, public or the English Legal System. These are very heavily content based subjects and a little head-start now will hold you in good stead.
In my opinion, 'The Law Machine' is an amazing book. It is divided into chapters and each chapter tells you about the English legal system, the lawyers, the judges etc... I highly recommend it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
'What About Law?' by Graham Virgo et al is really good
Are people still getting rejected from ucl?
Original post by baconwoo
Are people still getting rejected from ucl?

There were lots of offers and rejections yesterday. I am still waiting since November...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
In my opinion, 'The Law Machine' is an amazing book. It is divided into chapters and each chapter tells you about the English legal system, the lawyers, the judges etc... I highly recommend it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've read this! It's so useful and easy to understand
Original post by Bobkata
There were lots of offers and rejections yesterday. I am still waiting since November...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been waiting since October. Though an administrative error meant they only got my LNAT in mid-Jan so I assume I'm in for the long-haul with them now. Good luck!
Anyone heard from KCL recently?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Anyone heard from KCL recently?

not yet :frown: I've seen some people get rejected though? I wonder if they're just rejecting based on A level predictions though...
Original post by ariadnelee33
not yet :frown: I've seen some people get rejected though? I wonder if they're just rejecting based on A level predictions though...

Wouldn't most applicants have the required predicted grades though? Hmm... I wonder when they'll get back to us. :confused: What are your predicted grades?
Reply 1619
anyone heard from nottingham recently?

Latest