The Student Room Group

will my white-ish scars fade? really depressed about it

Trigger warning:

about 6-8 months ago I self harmed on my upper thighs. not deep at all, just with a razor and they didn't bleed too much. However I now have a bunch of faint white scars on my legs :frown:
It has only recently started to bother me. will these scars eventually fade over time? is there any hope once they are whit-ish? they aren't bright shell white.
thinking about them is taking over my life. they aren't even that bad but because I have tanned skin they are more noticeable.

I have started putting palmers cocoa butter on it rubbing it in like 3 times a day. any other advice? I can include a picture if that would be helpful to see how bad they are.

I have read online and some people say they will eventually fade and some say they are permanent if they were deep/very bad (which mine weren't). Thing is growing up I'm sure i got my fair share of knee scrapes and I have no scarring from them so?

Scroll to see replies

I had a lot of success with dermatix cream and although it helped a lot my scars remained visible. I read a few studies about this and apparently it's more the process of rubbing something into them, rather than the actual substance that helps to get them to fade - though this will only help so much. I'm currently in the process of laser therapy to try and make them fade even more.
Coconut oil/butter?
Just laser
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
I had a lot of success with dermatix cream and although it helped a lot my scars remained visible. I read a few studies about this and apparently it's more the process of rubbing something into them, rather than the actual substance that helps to get them to fade - though this will only help so much. I'm currently in the process of laser therapy to try and make them fade even more.

my scars aren't raised/they aren't fresh anymore. would dermatix have any affect on flat faint light scars? laser therapy isn't really an option for me as they really aren't bad/noticible its just my own insecurity
Reply 5
Original post by xobeauty
Just laser

so faint flat scars can't faint on their own naturally? how come a lot of the marks i had as a child are no longer here?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
my scars aren't raised/they aren't fresh anymore. would dermatix have any affect on flat faint light scars? laser therapy isn't really an option for me as they really aren't bad/noticible its just my own insecurity

They will fade eventually. I rubbed olive oil into a scar from a minor operation and it's now scarcely noticeable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's actually your good luck charm. I'll leave it be tbh.
They'll fade eventually, either going completely or becoming very faint. In the meantime foundation is your friend.
If it makes you feel better those oils do work over time, I had a chickenpox scar on my abdomen which is now really faint.
Original post by Katty3
They will fade eventually. I rubbed olive oil into a scar from a minor operation and it's now scarcely noticeable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey thank you! yeah i just wish I started treating them earlier as the sooner you start the better the results.
Original post by harinimnida
If it makes you feel better those oils do work over time, I had a chickenpox scar on my abdomen which is now really faint.

thank you i will persist with it. I guess its just cos its quite a large surface area not just one scar, so thats what worries me about the fading process
Original post by DiceTheSlice
It's actually your good luck charm. I'll leave it be tbh.

I wish I could see it as that! maybe its too soon but for me its a reminder actions i regret and it agitates me whenever I see/think about it
Original post by Anonymous
Trigger warning:

about 6-8 months ago I self harmed on my upper thighs. not deep at all, just with a razor and they didn't bleed too much. However I now have a bunch of faint white scars on my legs :frown:
It has only recently started to bother me. will these scars eventually fade over time? is there any hope once they are whit-ish? they aren't bright shell white.
thinking about them is taking over my life. they aren't even that bad but because I have tanned skin they are more noticeable.

I have started putting palmers cocoa butter on it rubbing it in like 3 times a day. any other advice? I can include a picture if that would be helpful to see how bad they are.

I have read online and some people say they will eventually fade and some say they are permanent if they were deep/very bad (which mine weren't). Thing is growing up I'm sure i got my fair share of knee scrapes and I have no scarring from them so?

Vitamin E cream is also good for the skin :smile:
I'm female and I have a long term boyfriend who doesn't mind the physicality of it but obviously doesn't want me doing it again. Even if we broke up I don't think they are that severe to hinder my future relationships. Even if it did that isn't what is making me react this way to them.

This thread isn't about the cutting itself, I only mentioned it so people would know the nature of the scarring. The scars effect me because I get agitated when I see them because Im in a different placeand the person I am now wishes I didn't do it. It is probably also vanity reasons. I also don't want my parents noticing in summer time as they already have to deal with my brother who has depression and it was selfish of me to cut as all my problems were self evoked.
(edited 8 years ago)
I had a lot of success with dermatix cream and although it helped a lot my scars remained visible. I read a few studies about this and apparently it's more the process of rubbing something into them, rather than the actual substance that helps to get them to fade

I completely agree; I had few dark spots/ hot water bottle burns and I got rid of them completely by applying Boots Scar Gel and massaging the crap out them. You have to ensure that the gel penetrates deep into the scar; it takes time and effort but if you really want to fade them then you gotta do what you gotta do.
Original post by Technetium
I completely agree; I had few dark spots/ hot water bottle burns and I got rid of them completely by applying Boots Scar Gel and massaging the crap out them. You have to ensure that the gel penetrates deep into the scar; it takes time and effort but if you really want to fade them then you gotta do what you gotta do.

does that boots scar gel work?? I read good reviews about it but I'm not sure if its just for dark spots like you said or for scars like mine. Id definitely purchase as it doesn't break the bank
You self-harmed because you were depressed. Now you are depressed as a result of the self-harm.

Irony aside. They will fade but it will take a long time, years. At least it's only on your upper thighs! It's not somewhere where people will see. You really just need to stop worrying about it.
Reply 18

off topic
I love the signature gif
Try bio oil'

Quick Reply

Latest