The Student Room Group

How to Improve

So recently we got our results back from a previous test we had done and I did terrible! I want to improve my grades as I do not want to waste 2 years in college and come out with **** grades. So in Edexcel Singe Maths AS and A2 (as I am resitting the first year) I done M1 last year and we are going to do D1 alongside the obvious C1, C2, C3 and C4. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my grade. Is there any particular revision techniques that help? Exam preparation that helps? Because when I am in class I don't struggle I get on with the work! But when it comes to revising and exams I do not do well even though I do revision. An example of my revision is using exam solutions to go over past topics. Any tips or advice would be grateful.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Improvement
So recently we got our results back from a previous test we had done and I did terrible! I want to improve my grades as I do not want to waste 2 years in college and come out with **** grades. So in Edexcel Singe Maths AS and A2 (as I am resitting the first year) I done M1 last year and we are going to do D1 alongside the obvious C1, C2, C3 and C4. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my grade. Is there any particular revision techniques that help? Exam preparation that helps? Because when I am in class I don't struggle I get on with the work! But when it comes to revising and exams I do not do well even though I do revision. An example of my revision is using exam solutions to go over past topics. Any tips or advice would be grateful.
Thanks

Start by drawing a workload/revision timetable
(around 9 hours per week on maths)
Reply 2
Original post by Improvement
Thanks

Looks like you have the idea so far!

I'm terribly sorry for the cliché advice, but there's actually no shortcut to practice - the only way to get better at maths is by doing maths. If you don't understand a particular topic, you might want to use ExamSolutions for C1-4 and HegartyMaths for D1 or go to your teacher; you could even ask here if you'd like. :smile:
Do past papers!!! If you don't do as well as you hoped, the exam solutions guy goes through each past paper (for edexcel anyway) so you can see how you should have approached each question. Then do the same paper again, and you should get 90%+ because you'll know how to answer each of the questions. Do this for as many papers as possible.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Practice makes perfect. Past papers are okay (but are overhyped) - find resources online that challenge your ability to it's maximum and keep moving up, do this with every topic. Before you know it you'll be able to conquer anything :smile:

Trust me!
Reply 5
Thank you people

Quick Reply

Latest