The Student Room Group

will my white-ish scars fade? really depressed about it

Scroll to see replies

Bio oil is good.

Even if it takes a few years for the scars to fade, I think that you should be kinder to yourself about them..I know a few people with visible self harm scars and as visible as they are and as cheesy as it might sound, they're not seen as a blemish but something on the body that tells a story about it's journey. They are absolutely nothing to be ashamed of for any reason and I think it's really important to remember that rather than hate on them and yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
does that boots scar gel work?? I read good reviews about it but I'm not sure if its just for dark spots like you said or for scars like mine. Id definitely purchase as it doesn't break the bank

For the price it is excellent and I have tried everything from Mederma to Dr. Sheffield's scar gel. The thing I like about the Boots version is that it's a serum as opposed to being a gel and it has an added moisturising quality that makes it easy to massage into the skin whereas other gels are a tad too "gelatinous" and don't spread as nicely or easily. I combined it with other things such as the oil from Vitamin E caplets (can be bought from Holland and Barrett) and within weeks my scars faded and eventually "went away". You have to be consistent though!
Original post by Technetium
For the price it is excellent and I have tried everything from Mederma to Dr. Sheffield's scar gel. The thing I like about the Boots version is that it's a serum as opposed to being a gel and it has an added moisturising quality that makes it easy to massage into the skin whereas other gels are a tad too "gelatinous" and don't spread as nicely or easily. I combined it with other things such as the oil from Vitamin E caplets (can be bought from Holland and Barrett) and within weeks my scars faded and eventually "went away". You have to be consistent though!

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely look into buying it. Was this shortly after your scars occurred or a few months like mine? not sure if taking vitamin E supplements will help with healing of oldish scars ? x
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely look into buying it. Was this shortly after your scars occurred or a few months like mine? not sure if taking vitamin E supplements will help with healing of oldish scars ? x

The scars were at least 1 or 2 years old. Some were even 10 (ahh not giving a damn about your skin in childhood is bliss isn't it!).
Reply 24
Massage them two-three times a day, putting pressure but without overdoing - nothing will help like this, as it makes blood circulate more in that area.
Original post by *Stefan*
Massage them two-three times a day, putting pressure but without overdoing - nothing will help like this, as it makes blood circulate more in that area.

okay thank you ! do you know if this is true for scars that have been there a while? how long would you massage for, 5 minutes?
Original post by Technetium
The scars were at least 1 or 2 years old. Some were even 10 (ahh not giving a damn about your skin in childhood is bliss isn't it!).

sorry for all the questions but were your scars a whitish tone like mine or just dark spots and did they fade or basically turn to nothing?also are you quite fair skinned?
Trigger warning:

about 6-8 months ago I self harmed on my upper thighs. not deep at all, just with a razor and they didn't bleed too much. However I now have a bunch of faint white scars on my legs :frown:
It has only recently started to bother me. will these scars eventually fade over time? is there any hope once they are whit-ish? they aren't bright shell white.
thinking about them is taking over my life. they aren't even that bad but because I have tanned skin they are more noticeable.

I have started putting palmers cocoa butter on it rubbing it in like 3 times a day. any other advice? I can include a picture if that would be helpful to see how bad they are.

I have read online and some people say they will eventually fade and some say they are permanent if they were deep/very bad (which mine weren't). Thing is growing up I'm sure i got my fair share of knee scrapes and I have no scarring from them so?

yes they fade! i had so many on my wrists and now barely visable bar one but thats cuz it was really deep.
also not quite the same but iv got stretch marks from kids and they have faded. theres hope
Trigger warning:

about 6-8 months ago I self harmed on my upper thighs. not deep at all, just with a razor and they didn't bleed too much. However I now have a bunch of faint white scars on my legs :frown:
It has only recently started to bother me. will these scars eventually fade over time? is there any hope once they are whit-ish? they aren't bright shell white.
thinking about them is taking over my life. they aren't even that bad but because I have tanned skin they are more noticeable.

I have started putting palmers cocoa butter on it rubbing it in like 3 times a day. any other advice? I can include a picture if that would be helpful to see how bad they are.

I have read online and some people say they will eventually fade and some say they are permanent if they were deep/very bad (which mine weren't). Thing is growing up I'm sure i got my fair share of knee scrapes and I have no scarring from them so?

i never find lotions effective i wouldn't waste money buying them, over a period of time they should fade if not then add make up, my sister badly self harmed & her scars are unnoticeable/ gone
i never find lotions effective i wouldn't waste money buying them, over a period of time they should fade if not then add make up, my sister badly self harmed & her scars are unnoticeable/ gone

makeup isn't a solution for me as it would be a cover up rather than eliminating. how long ago did she self harm and was it the same tender upper thigh area? is she fair or tanned?

also my scars are kind of clustered together some overlapping. they aren't individual lines
sorry for all the questions but were your scars a whitish tone like mine or just dark spots and did they fade or basically turn to nothing?also are you quite fair skinned?

It's alright and no, I am not fair skinned; the scars had a very dark pigmentation and they faded to nothing i.e. back to my normal skin colour. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I find white scars tend to fade over time compared to red scars. Mine took about 4-6 years to become not visible to the eye of others, but I can still see them under certain light. Try bio oil, it helped a lot, and you can get palmers coconut butter, and really rub it in. I also find that fresh cuts heal a lot better with sudocreme (I hope you are a lot better with the self harm issue :/ )
Trigger warning:

use bio oil

mine actually bled and were really dark brown on my arm and now they're all faded and you cant tell unless you look closely
they're 5 months old though

My dermatologist told me that if the laser therapy isn't effective enough for me, that I could get the scars tattooed to my skin color. I am very fair skinned with freckles and my scars are all white. The most recent ones are 5 years old.

I'm keeping a photo diary (though I forgot the last week) of what the laser is doing to them. I have only had a test patch so far and need to decide if I want them all doing.
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I find white scars tend to fade over time compared to red scars. Mine took about 4-6 years to become not visible to the eye of others, but I can still see them under certain light. Try bio oil, it helped a lot, and you can get palmers coconut butter, and really rub it in. I also find that fresh cuts heal a lot better with sudocreme (I hope you are a lot better with the self harm issue :/ )

thank you :smile:
yeah iv been using palmers, i might combine it with bio oil but I'm not sure if that would double the effectiveness or cancel each other out.
use bio oil

mine actually bled and were really dark brown on my arm and now they're all faded and you cant tell unless you look closely
they're 5 months old though

ah okay! how did u use the oil? I'm not sure if it would work the same on white scars as yours haven't lost the pigment but worth a try
Original post by shawtyb
yes they fade! i had so many on my wrists and now barely visable bar one but thats cuz it was really deep.
also not quite the same but iv got stretch marks from kids and they have faded. theres hope

hey this is reassuring ! were your scars white like mine and do you have fair/tanned skin? did you do anything to help speed up the process ?
ah okay! how did u use the oil? I'm not sure if it would work the same on white scars as yours haven't lost the pigment but worth a try

just rubbed it on every night - try it :smile:
hey this is reassuring ! were your scars white like mine and do you have fair/tanned skin? did you do anything to help speed up the process ?

hey, yea mine were white and imfairly pale but i also had scars on the top of my arm (other side of my wrist) and they faded too, also got a really big one on my ankle which hasnt faded due to the severity

Quick Reply

Latest