The Student Room Group

Which font is the most/least unprofessional?

I would say Comic Sans MS is one of the most unprofessional but as for fonts which are considered professional, I'm finding it hard to pick one that stands out?
(Does Calibri count - it's so overused!)
Discuss...
:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Comic Sans is almost certainly most unprofessional. I would imagine that a non-standard font would be most professional. It depends what image you're trying to portray and whether you're intending to print the font or have it on the screen.
Arial is the least professional. It's over used and boring. Comic Sans is the way to go because it looks friendly and welcoming so people will act more positively towards it.
Papyrus is an honourable mention for professionalism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Arial is the least professional. It's over used and boring. Comic Sans is the way to go because it looks friendly and welcoming so people will act more positively towards it.

Lel after my Primary school used Comic Sans on everything I got fed up with it and deemed it to be unprofessional. It's probably good for Children's stuff but it's not professional at all! I read an article about employers and businessmen just hating it!
As for arial... :biggrin:
It's clear....
In my opinion:

Least professional: Comic Sans, Trebuchet MS, Gill Sans MT, Lucida Handwriting, Lucida Sans, Century Gothic

Most professional: Arial, Times New Roman (although these are probably a bit overused), Segoe UI, Franklin Gothic Book, Cambria
Original post by Manitude
Comic Sans is almost certainly most unprofessional. I would imagine that a non-standard font would be most professional. It depends what image you're trying to portray and whether you're intending to print the font or have it on the screen.

How hard is it to get hard of non-standard fonts (not that I'm desperate, but I'm curious)! They sound most professional as I'm sure there'd be many for different uses/needs!
There's always Business's House Styles as well which need fonts to suit them, but I agree with the purpose being very important!
Don't use Comic Sans for a dissertation basically :laugh:
Original post by Leviathan1741
In my opinion:

Least professional: Comic Sans, Trebuchet MS, Gill Sans MT, Lucida Handwriting, Lucida Sans, Century Gothic

Most professional: Arial, Times New Roman (although these are probably a bit overused), Segoe UI, Franklin Gothic Book, Cambria

PRSOM
Yes! I totally agree! I will have to vary my use of Times New Roman and Arial with some of the others you suggested, they will be most useful :mwuaha:, thanks very much! :wink:
Haha Lucinda Handwriting was another Primary school one! :h: Back in the day...
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
How hard is it to get hard of non-standard fonts (not that I'm desperate, but I'm curious)! They sound most professional as I'm sure there'd be many for different uses/needs!
There's always Business's House Styles as well which need fonts to suit them, but I agree with the purpose being very important!
Don't use Comic Sans for a dissertation basically :laugh:

It's quite easy if you have the money. Usually you need to pay for ones that you wouldn't find in MS Word or some other word processor. For example a website like this sells fonts: http://www.fontshop.co.uk/?gclid=CM2a29G8x8oCFesBwwodyzQBPg

some are very expensive though, as they're intended for use by businesses rather than individuals.
PRSOM
Yes! I totally agree! I will have to vary my use of Times New Roman and Arial with some of the others you suggested, they will be most useful :mwuaha:, thanks very much! :wink:
Haha Lucinda Handwriting was another Primary school one! :h: Back in the day...

You're welcome :h:
Lel after my Primary school used Comic Sans on everything I got fed up with it and deemed it to be unprofessional. It's probably good for Children's stuff but it's not professional at all! I read an article about employers and businessmen just hating it!
As for arial... :biggrin:
It's clear....

they're lying, it's an industry secret. imagine if parking tickets were written in comic sans, you'd actually want to pay them
Original post by Zargabaath
they're lying, it's an industry secret. imagine if parking tickets were written in comic sans, you'd actually want to pay them

PRSOM
Sure........

Spoiler

Reply 11
Comic Sans was good enough for CERN when they announced the Higgs Boson.

(edited 8 years ago)
I <3 Comic Sans MS
Strongly dislike Times New Roman i use Calibri or Ariel
wingdings is not the best for your CV etc :hmmmm2:
We had a lecture on the epidemiology of AIDS using green comic sans. It just seemed so inappropriate. I wasn't surprised to later find the lecturer had a reputation among other staff for going a bit dotty in her old age.
Reply 16
CM unicode all day.

If i have to use word away from my own pc i use calibri
Comic Sans makes me shudder. I remember I once saw a book in Waterstone's that had the reviews of other authors in Comic Sans - like ... why would you do that? Why?

I still use it from time to time, but I'm not a big fan of Calibri. It really annoys me that it's the default font for Word - when I go to a Word document, it's almost automatic for me to change the font (I'm usually a Times New Roman, Georgia or sometimes Arial dependant on what I'm writing kind of girl).

If by non-standard you mean those not available on Microsoft, there are some you can download for free. Open Sans is a favourite of mine, but it's something I saw a website use, found out what font it was and had to download it to be able to use.
I think that Helvetica is quite formal.
But wingdings, hmm...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending