The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
You just really need to understand that people have their own reasons for not wanting a gay child.
That is all.

Of course I understand that, but you do realise how a debate works right? I made my statement and you challenged it, that's called 'debating'
You just really need to understand that people have their own reasons for not wanting a gay child.
That is all.

There is no single gene for "gayness" and even if you managed to delete a cluster of genes to make your child more predisposed to not being Gay a male child in an environment such as ancient Athens would probably become Gay at some time.

What you are really talking about is avoiding leading a Gay "lifestyle" in our modern society which can polarize their behaviour into same sex only circles. Would we want a child to do that? Or would we prefer that even if a child had a preference for the same sex they lived with the opposite sex and had intercourse within their partnership mainly for procreation?
Original post by Blondie987
Of course I understand that, but you do realise how a debate works right? I made my statement and you challenged it, that's called 'debating'

Yes exactly. I'm aware of that :smile:
Original post by newpersonage
There is no single gene for "gayness" and even if you managed to delete a cluster of genes to make your child more predisposed to not being Gay a male child in an environment such as ancient Athens would probably become Gay at some time.

What you are really talking about is avoiding leading a Gay "lifestyle" in our modern society which can polarize their behaviour into same sex only circles. Would we want a child to do that? Or would we prefer that even if a child had a preference for the same sex they lived with the opposite sex and had intercourse within their partnership mainly for procreation?

OP was asking hypothetically. We know that there is no gene for homosexuality:s-smilie: we know that homosexuality is influenced by the environment but this was not the question.
It's not about them having a preference. If homosexuality was purely biological and we had the option to remove this gene, their preference would be for the opposite sex only.
OP was asking hypothetically. We know that there is no gene for homosexuality:s-smilie: we know that homosexuality is influenced by the environment but this was not the question.
It's not about them having a preference. If homosexuality was purely biological and we had the option to remove this gene, their preference would be for the opposite sex only.

But why would anyone want to exterminate a gene? It is the phenotype, the behaviour, that is the target. If a person really doesn't like a behaviour they should use the usual methods of law and social sanction rather than redesigning humanity.
But why would anyone want to exterminate a gene? It is the phenotype, the behaviour, that is the target. If a person really doesn't like a behaviour they should use the usual methods of law and social sanction rather than redesigning humanity.

These usual methods of law and social sanction are not good enough. Not yet anyway.
Prejudice/discrimination and lack of equality is increased in people that only make up the minority.
These usual methods of law and social sanction are not good enough. Not yet anyway.
Prejudice/discrimination and lack of equality is increased in people that only make up the minority.

Certainly current levels of prejudice can be ameliorated by decent parenting. Prior to legalisation it would have been different. Everyone has their path in life, some are just rockier than others. We might be able to create a society where every possible offence is removed but I wouldn't want to live there.

Perhaps I should start another thread about removing the gene for mollycoddling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes exactly. I'm aware of that :smile:

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, good day!
Bit harsh. Disability does not necessarily lead to 'obvious' loss of mental or physical capacity.
The homosexual individual is more likely to suffer with significant mental issues. Not definitely I know, but the same can be said for disability. People with disabilities are constantly defying odds and are becoming more able to do things that doctors said they wouldn't. In addition, their disability may not necessarily be as severe or as bad as it seems. You can never truly know this until they are born.
That's not true. Having a disability doesn't always mean that your communication will be impaired and even if it is, is this so much of an issue that you'd rather not have the child?
The vast majority of severe disabilities are debilitating.

Not harsh at all, it's the truth. I think you have distorted the concepts a bit to make this comparison. In what way is the homosexual individual more likely to suffer with significant mental issues?

"Constantly" doesn't really cut it. If the doctor says the child will die but he/she survives with a disability, I wouldn't say they are becoming more able to do things. And then, they need a significant amount of medication or special measures to do so. That is of course not true with homosexuality.

It could be. I wouldn't want to see my child suffer. Not in terms of what people would say, but the need to take medication, the need to use special equipment. Everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Certainly current levels of prejudice can be ameliorated by decent parenting. Prior to legalisation it would have been different. Everyone has their path in life, some are just rockier than others. We might be able to create a society where every possible offence is removed but I wouldn't want to live there.

Perhaps I should start another thread about removing the gene for mollycoddling.

Good parenting cannot eliminate prejudice. It's fine for the first few years of life, but after that, reality sets in.
No you're right. It's a shame that some people would actually alter their child through fear or abuse. Nobody should be victim to abuse for something they have no control over, but it happens.
Original post by BlackSweetness
GOD YESSS!
Would do it in a heartbeat'!
I want my son to grow up as a proper man. (Not saying homosexuals arent real men btw)

You kind of are...
Original post by Blondie987
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, good day!

You too
Original post by *Stefan*
Not harsh at all, it's the truth. I think you have distorted the concepts a bit to make this comparison. In what way is the homosexual individual more likely to suffer with significant mental issues?

"Constantly" doesn't really cut it. If the doctor says the child will die but he/she survives with a disability, I would say they are becoming more able to do things. And then, they need a significant amount of medication or special measures to do so. That is of course not true with homosexuality.

It could be. I wouldn't want to see my child suffer. Not in terms of what people would say, but the need to take medication, the need to use special equipment. Everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not the truth. There are a wide spectrum of disabilities and not all of them fit into your spectrum.
More likely than a heterosexual person to display mental illness because theyre victim to prejudice and abuse being that they are the minority.
Yes, disabled people are able to do more things, especially in the UK. Depending on the disability, they'd need extra care.
Nobody wants to see their child suffer. Again, you are referring to more severe disabilities. There are many people who have a disability and you wouldn't even know.
Anyway, I think we should agree to disagree to be honest. We're not getting anywhere so we're both just wasting our time
Hypothetically, if a single gay gene could be identified and then targeted with 100% efficiency and zero off-target effects, then yes. But that's a very big if.
Original post by Josb
It's not all species.But you have a good example with penguins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27405652

Homosexuality probably developed when men started to build social groups. Due to the low life expectancy, many children were orphans, so gay men could 'adopt' them - whilst heterosexual men probably only want to raise their own offspring. Homosexuals therefore helped to spread the human race.

You've heard of the 'gay uncle' theory, I take it?
Good parenting cannot eliminate prejudice. It's fine for the first few years of life, but after that, reality sets in.
No you're right. It's a shame that some people would actually alter their child through fear or abuse. Nobody should be victim to abuse for something they have no control over, but it happens.

We are almost all abused at some time. It is important for parents and schools etc. to provide some training into how to tackle difficulties in life. I am not saying that abuse is a good thing, far from it, but some abuse will always happen. The idea of changing a child's genetic structure to avoid the possibility of abuse is absurd.

Some of the greatest artists of all time were homosexual, even in times and countries where homosexuality was a serious crime. A good life is rising above abuse, not seeking to remove all challenges.

It is not the "moral highground" to want to remove absolutely all the obstacles in life, it is probably the opposite.
if there were a way of switching on a "hotness" gene i would do that, so bear™ junior could be a top player whether "gay" or "straight".
Wow, 250 peeps voted on poll so far, pretty amazing, never thought there would have been this much response when I started this thread, perhaps one of the most voted upon in the history of the TSR.
It's not the truth. There are a wide spectrum of disabilities and not all of them fit into your spectrum.
More likely than a heterosexual person to display mental illness because theyre victim to prejudice and abuse being that they are the minority.
Yes, disabled people are able to do more things, especially in the UK. Depending on the disability, they'd need extra care.
Nobody wants to see their child suffer. Again, you are referring to more severe disabilities. There are many people who have a disability and you wouldn't even know.
Anyway, I think we should agree to disagree to be honest. We're not getting anywhere so we're both just wasting our time

The majority of them do though... if we focus on the minority, then this discussion is meaningless!

I think you're exaggerating the hate that homosexuals get, in Britain at least. I've yet to hear people being discriminated, let alone abused.

As you say, with support and medical care - this is what makes it a whole lot different!

But that's true - let's just agree to disagree...
Original post by *Stefan*

I think you're exaggerating the hate that homosexuals get, in Britain at least. I've yet to hear people being discriminated, let alone abused.

It happens, but it's a lot less common than in countries such as America (some of the states).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending