The Student Room Group

Acceptance of offers

Hello, I am from India and currently staying in London in Tier 2 visa.I have applied for my MSc programme for september 2016 entry to some Universities and I got few conditional offers too.I need a clarification regarding the acceptance of offers.Is it possible that i can accept two conditional offers from two different universities and decide one later considering the scholarship/fees ?Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by dharshu
Hello, I am from India and currently staying in London in Tier 2 visa.I have applied for my MSc programme for september 2016 entry to some Universities and I got few conditional offers too.I need a clarification regarding the acceptance of offers.Is it possible that i can accept two conditional offers from two different universities and decide one later considering the scholarship/fees ?Thanks,

Hi, I presume it's the same for English and international applicants. You will confirm one as a firm offer and another will be an insurance. If you meet the required grades for your firm choice then they will automatically accept you. You can turn them down but I believe they reserve the right to prevent you from taking your insurance choice. You should therefore reserve making judgement on your choices until after you hear about scholarships (if that is possible). I believe that is all true but I stand to be corrected if anybody else has advice.
Original post by dharshu

To enter full time study you'll presumably need to reapply for a tier 4 visa.

Part of this will involve using a CAS - you can get a CAS from multiple universities (ie you can accept a bunch of offers) BUT you can only use one to get your tier 4 visa.
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Preparing--planning/Visas-and-immigration/Applying-for-a-Tier-4-General-visa/Requirements-and-evidence/Confirmation-of-Acceptance-for-Studies-CAS/ has more information
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply.I accepted one of those conditional offers,but when i accepted, i did not mention if this was a firm acceptance or an insurance acceptance.Is there a way to specify that when you accept offers?
Reply 4
Original post by dharshu
Thank you for your reply.I accepted one of those conditional offers,but when i accepted, i did not mention if this was a firm acceptance or an insurance acceptance.Is there a way to specify that when you accept offers?

I believe (although I am not certain) when you accept a second offer you must tag each offer as either firm or insurance. When I did it last year, I accepted offers at the same time and it asked me to put one as firm and one as an insurance.
Original post by dharshu

For MSc applications you don't choose firm and insurance. You just either accept or decline.

Firm and Insurance are only relevant for applications to undergraduate degrees via UCAS (where you can only accept a single offer). For postgraduate you can accept as many offers as you like.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
For MSc applications you don't choose firm and insurance. You just either accept or decline.

Firm and Insurance are only relevant for applications to undergraduate degrees via UCAS (where you can only accept a single offer). For postgraduate you can accept as many offers as you like.

Ah i see, that's why I was hesitant about answering. I wasn't sure what MSc stood for. Thanks for the clarification.
Reply 7
Original post by OSH18
Ah i see, that's why I was hesitant about answering. I wasn't sure what MSc stood for. Thanks for the clarification.

You applied for an MSc but you don't know what it stands for?
(Master of Science)
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
(Master of Science)

No I didn't apply for an Msc. I applied for a law degree but I thought the theory would stand for any generic degree.
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
(Master of Science)

To be fair, the guy asked about accepting offers. I didn't think it mattered that it was an Msc but I was clearly mistaken.
Reply 10
Original post by OSH18
No I didn't apply for an Msc. I applied for a law degree but I thought the theory would stand for any generic degree.

Ah apologies - for some reason I though you were the OP who applied for an MSc, hence my (stupid) confusion.

An MSc is a postgrad degree, usually takes one year.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Ah apologies - for some reason I though you were the OP who applied for an MSc, hence my (stupid) confusion.

An MSc is a postgrad degree, usually takes one year.

No problem. Out of the two of us, I made the far bigger error :smile: thanks for the info, dw it wasn't stupid, just a misread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending