The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mactotaur
It happens, but it's a lot less common than in countries such as America (some of the states).

I'd argue that America is much better than other countries to be honest...
Original post by *Stefan*
I'd argue that America is much better than other countries to be honest...

Of course, seeing as most places in America won't imprison or kill you for being gay.
How could you snip out genes when this might happen?

Homosexual artists....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by simbasdragon
So how would you explain someone brought up in a strict Muslim family in Saudi Arabia being gay? They wouldn't have experienced 'gay social constructions' around them. Therefore it could only be down to biology.

Forgive me, you seem to have an inaccurate view of what kind of place Saudi Arabia is. It is not some kind of manifestation of the perfect Islam where nobody has even heard of homosexuality. People who live there are well aware of social constructions and culture on a worldwide scale. They use the same internet as us, watch the same TV shows and films as us, interact with a host of foreigners and immigrants (including those from non-Muslim countries) on a regular basis, go to schools and universities with hundreds of other people who are well aware of LGBT concepts... There's absolutely no reason to assume that anyone's life experience could be utterly free from anything that brings to mind the existence and possibility of homosexuality.
Original post by newpersonage

Homosexual artists....

Because they'd still have all the other same genes, so be able to produce art like that and be straight?
People that bring up the argument of certian countries criminlazing gay people:

The question is whether you would change this gene, not whether you would in a different country. Obviously, if I was in certain countries, I would much rather have my child be straight than in prison or dead, but I'm not in those countries.

Stop trying to come up with excuses when you're just being homophobic.
Original post by personalpronoun
Overpopulation is more of a threat than underpopulattion at the moment

Yeah but the overpopulation isn't in developed countries, its in developing countries. Not having children just because too many other people are is stupid. If you don't have kids you have essentially failed your ancestors and your biological duty. Personally, the only way I could find comfort in dying is knowing that I have children & grandchildren who I can sort of live on through. Sounds weird, I know but that's just how I feel.

Homosexual artists....

First, those paintings aren't really that great
Second, what makes you think being homosexual was what made this artist (in your opinion) so great?
Original post by Asklepios
Because they'd still have all the other same genes, so be able to produce art like that and be straight?

I sincerely doubt that they would, there is a sensitivity to the male form that suggests sexual preference. More obvious in Bazille's "Swimming Hole":

To me this is a truly great picture, painted in 1869, before Impressionism really got moving. Bazille was almost certainly Gay but not camp - the poor sod joined the army to do his patriotic duty in the Franco-Prussian War and was killed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, tbh. I've read through the whole thread and non of the arguments against it have really swayed me, although I understand their viewpoint. As others have said I'd rather my child not have to go through all the hardship of being gay in this world, especially with my family being religious, it'd just be complicated and I honestly think my child would end up resenting me. I wouldn't care of course though if I had a gay child naturally, and would still love him the same.
(edited 8 years ago)

Homosexual artists....

what on earth are they doing to the floor ? :s-smilie:
Reply 391
Original post by the bear
if there were a way of switching on a "hotness" gene i would do that, so bear™ junior could be a top player whether "gay" or "straight".

This, if I had the choice between a beautiful and intelligent gay child, and a straight one, but stupid and ugly, I would always choose the former.
Original post by the bear
what on earth are they doing to the floor ? :s-smilie:

Scraping the floor. They're workers, doing the place up.
Scraping the floor. They're workers, doing the place up.

what is wrong with floor ? look good to bear™
Of course I wouldn't change it. People who are acting like homosexuality is the end of humanity are forgetting that there are also straight people who are infertile. There have been infertile people for a long time, and there are many that simply choose not to have children. Last time I checked, the population is doing great.
Original post by aeroline1999
Yeah but the overpopulation isn't in developed countries, its in developing countries. Not having children just because too many other people are is stupid. If you don't have kids you have essentially failed your ancestors and your biological duty. Personally, the only way I could find comfort in dying is knowing that I have children & grandchildren who I can sort of live on through. Sounds weird, I know but that's just how I feel.

People really do trigger me when they attribute a purpose to life from a biological perspective.
You have just triggered me.

There's no intent, purpose, design, end game, usw usf in evolution.
(With the exception of humans) we survived because we reproduce, not we reproduced in order to survive.

Those that actually did reproduce, perpetuated their species, and the ones that never died out. Those species never actually reproduced to survive, just that those that did, did. Does that make sense?

Like animals that had the urge to copulate with another animal, drastically increased chances of insemination, chances of reproduction and their chances of survival as a species. It increased their tendency to, it gave them a selective advantage.

Does that make sense?

Evolution is merely the theory behind how organisms adapt over time, and end up having features which work with their environment, so to speak. It's not saying what our purpose is, be it natural or not, or even if we have a one. That most definitely not.
(edited 8 years ago)
assuming, of course, it would not alter any of his genes (so he wouldn't be deformed or a cretin etc) than yes, I think every one wish to have a normal child. and no- homosexuality is not normal, it's natural which just makes it acceptable, but not normal.
Original post by aeroline1999
First, those paintings aren't really that great
Second, what makes you think being homosexual was what made this artist (in your opinion) so great?

A sexual preference for males leads to a different interpretation when portraying certain scenes. I find that interesting even though I do not have that preference particularly.
Original post by simon_g
assuming, of course, it would not alter any of his genes (so he wouldn't be deformed or a cretin etc) than yes, I think every one wish to have a normal child. and no- homosexuality is not normal, it's natural which just makes it acceptable, but not normal.

It's not normal, but neither is having green eyes or red hair or being Vietnamese or being ambidextrous or anything else where not having that trait is the majority. 'Normal' only means the majority.
It's not normal, but neither is having green eyes or red hair or being Vietnamese or being ambidextrous or anything else where not having that trait is the majority. 'Normal' only means the majority.

I am aware.
but unlike having green eyes or being a ginger the trait that we are talking about seriously affects the whole life of the child we are talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending