The Student Room Group

Need some help/advice.

So I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I'm currently in S6 in Edinburgh, studying AH Biology, Chemistry and Physics and recently received an unconditional offer to study Biology (Virology to be specific) at Glasgow university. The problem is, I've lost all interest in going to school. I'm somewhat depressed, have lost all drive and motivation to study where before I was a hard working person. Last year, I achieved 4As and a B in highers, and now I've failed all my prelims and actually don't care, where before I took great pride in my work. Now I don't want to go to school anymore, as I'm longer engaged and the obscene amount of work is ****ing with my mental state. Now I'm very seriously considering just dropping out (I've already started skiving classes as the very thought of going in is horrible) and getting a job. However, I still want to go to Uni as I feel as though my life can only progress up to a certain point without further education. So my questions are:
-Is dropping out at this point a good idea?
-Will my unconditional at Glasgow still be applicable? Or will they see that I've dropped out and retract it?

Thanks
Congratulation on your offer!
I'm sorry to hear that you're depressed and have lost motivation to study.
Why did you lose interest? Is it because of the heavy workload of studying three advanced highers?
Have you talked to your guidance teacher/parents about this?
In my opinion, dropping out at this point would be your last resort. If you are planning on to go to unis, having done advanced highers would make your life much easier and you can enjoy your first year at uni.
However, if you really want to drop out, contact the Glasgow admissions team(your course) directly and explain your situation to them and they probably will understand. Since it is an unconditional offer, I don't see why they would retract it.
: )good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Your unconditional should be fine, i know of a lot of people in my school who got an unconditional and actually dropped out to do nothing. Maybe try talking yo a guidance teacher or going to the GP and seeking help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of my mates with unconditionals dropped most/all their subjects and just messed around for the rest of the year. It's really common. If you really can't be bothered then I suggest you just embrace it and enjoy your 6th year stress free so you're leaving school on a high note.

If you fail all your subjects it won't matter anyway, so there's no need to get worked up about it. The uni won't take your offer away.

If you are getting worried however, it's only February mind, there's plenty of time to pull your grades back to As with a bit of work.

RE your mental health: you may be better using your spare time for personal development instead of studying for prelims/exams/whatever. This helped me when I had a wee blip last year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RagingDingle

-Is dropping out at this point a good idea?
-Will my unconditional at Glasgow still be applicable? Or will they see that I've dropped out and retract it?

Hi there!

First of all, congratulations on getting an unconditional offer here! Glasgow university is a really great place and it has an excellent biology department - you'll really enjoy it here. :smile:

With regards to the unconditional offer - it is just that, unconditional! Don't worry about any consequences of grades, it's very common for 6th years to drop out after receiving an unconditional offer to just relax or work. Your offer will still be completely valid.

Three Advanced Highers is a hefty course load, I did it when I was in 6th year (Maths, Applied Maths, Physics) so I have an idea of what you're experiencing. The main thing is to look after your personal health, especially considering you have no grade requirements for 6th year. Stay positive and healthy, and see what would be best for you.

I study engineering, so taking AH Maths helped a fair bit. My other two classes were useful, but nowhere near as much. If you need to lighten your load, but want to stay in school, think about dropping a class or two. Studying biology may well make your first year a bit of an easier transition, but it's absolutely not required. Remember that universities only require grades at a Higher level, anything more advanced is not necessary, it can just be useful.

Talk to any guidance counselors or school advisors, as others have said, they should help you out with any subject decisions.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Can I get advice and tips on how to study effectively for my subjects to get 5A's the subjects I am taking are higher chemistry, physics, maths, English and French any useful and valuable advice will be greatly appreciated thank you (:
Reply 6
Original post by Zrehman24
Can I get advice and tips on how to study effectively for my subjects to get 5A's the subjects I am taking are higher chemistry, physics, maths, English and French any useful and valuable advice will be greatly appreciated thank you (:

The sqa app allows you to sort the priority of each subject and how much you can study every day, you may find that helpful. You really just need a good plan and to try and stay motivated, try not to over work and have 30-60min slots of work and try and have a few breaks but try not to over do it. Also, finding out if you work better in morning or evening may help a lot too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Zrehman24

To be honest man, I'm pretty terrible at revising, but what I will say is do as many past/specimen papers as humanly possible. Do a paper, mark it, revise what you got wrong then do another. Repeat until success. Outside of this, I honestly can't help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending