The Student Room Group

Could I do economics at uni?

I am taking maths chemistry history and politics A-Level as well as physics AS and I am looking to do economics at uni. I didn't take it to A Level however but looking to do an EPQ in economics. Here is what I'll apply for:
Oxford (PPE)
Exeter (Economics)
Bristol(Politics and economics)
LSE(politics and economics)
Southampton (Politics and economics)

Or any other uni with just economics e.g Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, kent
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't have to have taken Economics at A Level to do Economics in University. I think Economic knowledge is valued but not specified on the course profiles. All depends on your grades I suppose. I'm also doing an EPQ in Economics, however I'm taking Economics anyway so.

Edit: I'm studying Maths w/ Statistics, Economics, Business and Philosophy at AS currently. I want to study Economics/Business at university and go into Investment Banking if possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
In case you didn't know, no university requires you to have taken Economics at A-level :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
In case you didn't know, no university requires you to have taken Economics at A-level :smile:

So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage? Would I look bad to different applicants or would I have as much chance then. Also are my other subjects good for it? Thanks :smile:
Original post by clement345
So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage? Would I looks bad to different applicants or would I have as much chance then. Also are my other subjects good for it? Thanks :smile:

Yep, no disadvantage at all :smile: As long as you do well in your subjects(most importantly maths), you should be more than fine :biggrin:
Original post by clement345
So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage? Would I look bad to different applicants or would I have as much chance then. Also are my other subjects good for it? Thanks :smile:

As long as you have Maths at a level, you should be able to get into a Bsc Economics course and some BA Economics course may not need A level maths. However, the key normally is that maths is taken to an A level standard.
Reply 6
Original post by SubZero~
You don't have to have taken Economics at A Level to do Economics in University. I think Economic knowledge is valued but not specified on the course profiles. All depends on your grades I suppose. I'm also doing an EPQ in Economics, however I'm taking Economics anyway so.

Edit: I'm studying Maths w/ Statistics, Economics, Business and Philosophy at AS currently. I want to study Economics/Business at university and go into Investment Banking if possible.

What universities do you want to apply to?
Reply 7
Current LSE Government and Economics student if you have any questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending