The Student Room Group

Year 9 options

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Does anyone know about how strict they are in controlled assessments when it comes to cheating like what do they allow
I'm confused aswell. I have NO idea Wether to pick RE or history. I also want to be a lawyer but Ik what I pick now will not have a great impact on my future career but I just don't know what tk do. Dw Ik how you feel
Reply 42
I want to do triple science history and German but I'm thinking instead of geography because of the work load I should do design engineer construct to have a more relaxed lesson
Reply 43
Also what is a GCSE controlled assessment
Original post by Alaoso
Ok thanks lol it's just that I really want all a stars to go to Oxbridge and just wanna be the best I can be but also I have decided I'm doing triple,history,German but I'm really unsure about doing geography as I get good grades but don't find it interesting so I think it would be better if I took a more relaxed subject any suggestions btw I'm not creative

will you not be on the new grading system and so will have grades 1-9 instead of U-A*?

Triple science is a good thing to do btw as even if you don't like it at least you'll know haha
Reply 45
Original post by Alaoso
Also what is a GCSE controlled assessment

It depends on the subject for example more designed based controlled assessments are computer based and they go on throughout a certain period.
So, you might work on a project or for a subject like English you might have to write an essay in class of head so you'll have a pile of notes but you have to write the essay from scratch. For science I think it's mainly just evaluating experiments so you actually do the experiment then you do exam papers on the experiment and stuff.
Reply 46
Yes I'm in the new grading system and also if I want to be a lawyer or a doctor should I take triple science,history and German then maybe design engineer construct as an easy subject?
Reply 47
Anyone have any experiences of triple how tough is it and how much revision is there.etc
Under the current system 10-12 GCSEs is manageable for someone who is reasonably intelligent and works hard. In total I do Maths, English Lang & Lit, Triple Science, RE, Computing, French and Psychology and I have already completed History, Geography and HPQ. It is a lot of work but certainly achievable if you are prepared to work hard and are interested.
Original post by Alaoso
Anyone have any experiences of triple how tough is it and how much revision is there.etc

As long as you have the right work ethic then it's no problem at all - you just need to make sure you revise effectively and make time for other subjects.
Don't worry about it, you're only in year 9
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Cheating????
Reply 51
What cheating
Reply 52
You dislike science, but want to do medicine?
Reply 53
Dislike?no no
Reply 54
Original post by 1jonam16
You are making a huge deal out of nothing. Just do whatever you want to do. At the end of the day these are GCSE Options. It is reasonably easy to get an A* in any subject so it really doesn't matter. Just make sure you do double english, maths and triple science. What annoys me is that you are considering cheating, which I heavily look down upon. With that kind of attitude, I guarantee you won't make it as a doctor.

Listen in my message I didn't say I want to cheat I am one of those really paranoid people with cheating e.g. I was asking if I look up during the exam does that count as cheating a lot of my friends said you have to keep your eyes on the work at all times and even the slightest thing can be classed as cheating by the exam boards.So yeah I would never cheat it's something stupid and it will never help you in life.
@Alaoso Invigilators are people too and looking up to see the clock (watches are banned at my school) is understandable. Heck, you could stare to the sides (where it appears as if you are looking at someone's paper) and nothing would happen. They don't focus on you unless you make them want to and if you have no genuine intention to cheat nothing will happen. If I were you, I'd stop worrying so much about exams that you will have to do in 2 years. Do what you enjoy and work hard and you'll be fine.
Reply 56
Original post by 1jonam16
@Alaoso Invigilators are people too and looking up to see the clock (watches are banned at my school) is understandable. Heck, you could stare to the sides (where it appears as if you are looking at someone's paper) and nothing would happen. They don't focus on you unless you make them want to and if you have no genuine intention to cheat nothing will happen. If I were you, I'd stop worrying so much about exams that you will have to do in 2 years. Do what you enjoy and work hard and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the information and good thing we cleared up the cheating thing also out of curiosity what GCSEs did you do and what grades
Reply 57
Last year I was in the exam hall and those people with the high heels who just stomp around are so annoying!!!!do they do that on purpose-#banhighheels lol
I'll pm you. @Alaoso And you can ask me some more stuff if you want.
Original post by Alaoso
Hi so basically I'm in year 9 and just got my options.I want to do things
like German,history,geography and triple science but will this be too much work? I didn't enjoy science or history until year 9 so should I even be doing it? Please help on career paths from this thanks...

i was in the same position as you last year don't worry about triple if you're willing to put the work in you'll be fine and with history i didn't enjoy it much either but ended up taking it because my sister did, and i still wonder if i would've preferred geography, but what we're studying isn't terrible. Career paths is something you'll need to figure out yourself unfortunately, i know it can be hard but pick stuff you're good at or that you enjoy and you'll be okay, for now, in year 11 you'll need to worry about career paths and all that stuff, good luck, don't get stressed and cry about it like i did - chill out :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest