The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Problems with conditional offer, can you help please?

Hello,

I have been given a conditional offer by Aston subject to getting DDD in my IT BTEC with at least 13 units at a Distinction grade from 18. The problem is i can get a maximum of 12 Distinctions this year as i have only got 3 last year. It's therefore impossible for me to get 13. What should i do?
Reply 1
Email or Phone the University I would personally phone them up. Calmly explain your situation to them politely and nicely and try to negotiate with them maybe if they could accept you with 11 or 12 distinctions. You need to act quickly because this could cost you your University place.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Don'tworryME
Hello,

I have been given a conditional offer by Aston subject to getting DDD in my IT BTEC with at least 13 units at a Distinction grade from 18. The problem is i can get a maximum of 12 Distinctions this year as i have only got 3 last year. It's therefore impossible for me to get 13. What should i do?

Too bad.

Try messaging the uni and tell them about your issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tinka99
Email or Phone the University I would personally phone them up. Calmly explain your situation to them politely and nicely and try to negotiate with them maybe if they could accept you with 11 or 12 distinctions. You need to act quickly because this could cost you your University place.

They gave me the offer a few hours ago. Would it really matter if a miss one distinction?
They gave me the offer a few hours ago. Would it really matter if a miss one distinction?

I think with university conditional offers, it's usually if you miss by an inch you miss by a mile. As others have said, you should message them and politely explain this situation and try and negotiate the offer down so that it's actually a possibility for you :frown:
Reply 5

I still think you seriously should phone or email the university because that would be a big risk you're taking there. They might accept you that would be luck but what if you're rejected? That could potentially lead to you having to look for places in clearing or waste a year. I know students who have missed their offer by one grade and it's been an instant rejection on results day. Is it really worth the taking a risk?
Original post by Tinka99
I still think you seriously should phone or email the university because that would be a big risk you're taking there. They might accept you that would be luck but what if you're rejected? That could potentially lead to you having to look for places in clearing or waste a year. I know students who have missed their offer by one grade and it's been an instant rejection on results day. Is it really worth the taking a risk?

I have offers from other 2 universities and waiting for one more it's just that Aston is closest to my home so it would be a big advantage. I am kind of stressed out now, what should i say?
Original post by Tinka99

Should i include a personal ID so that they can review my application?
Reply 8
I have offers from other 2 universities and waiting for one more it's just that Aston is closest to my home so it would be a big advantage. I am kind of stressed out now, what should i say?

If you live in near the University and you can travel from home it would hugely save accommodation fees. If that was the case I would surely phone or email the University up and try. If they refuse to negotiate you always have the other two in your hand. Also consider how important this offer is to you? Do the other two meet your expectations as much as Aston does? Consider the ranking in comparison to Astons.

Are the other two willing to accept lower grades? If yes then that could be a major advantage to you. I still really think contacting Aston is the best option because the worst could be a no. It's worth a shot because you never get anything in life without trying. You could be regretting in a few years time that you were one phone call or email away from your dream University.
Original post by Tinka99
If you live in near the University and you can travel from home it would hugely save accommodation fees. If that was the case I would surely phone or email the University up and try. If they refuse to negotiate you always have the other two in your hand. Also consider how important this offer is to you? Do the other two meet your expectations as much as Aston does? Consider the ranking in comparison to Astons.

Are the other two willing to accept lower grades? If yes then that could be a major advantage to you. I still really think contacting Aston is the best option because the worst could be a no. It's worth a shot because you never get anything in life without trying. You could be regretting in a few years time that you were one phone call or email away from your dream University.

The other two universities are Royal Holloway, University of London and UEA. I am 100% confident in meeting their offers. I am going to write them an email and see what will happen.
Should i include a personal ID so that they can review my application?

If you want you could there's no harm in that so if they want to they can review your application. I personally would simply phone or email them and only provide them with a personal ID if they ask for it.

Quick Reply

Latest