The Student Room Group

After Merkel's migrant disaster, should referendums be required before major changes?

I am not saying referendums should be held for all political decisions, but if a political leader wants to make a major decision, such as Merkel has in this case, should they be required to hold a referendum to gain the approval of the people?

Scroll to see replies

We should not consider Merkel's solution but Jeremy Corbyn's solution as he understands sustainable immigration
No - Most of the electorate, when they do bother to cast their vote, are largely ignorant of the issues involved.

It'd be "Tyranny of the ignorants".
Original post by TheArtofProtest
No - Most of the electorate, when they do bother to cast their vote, are largely ignorant of the issues involved.

You are wrong, what a childish claim
Reply 4

Yeah thats democracy in general. Take it or leave it.
Original post by Squirrel777
You are wrong, what a childish claim

Not so. Our current form of democracy brings out the self-serving, self-interest and narcissism that it was never intended to do.

Instead of asking how best we can serve the country, we demand democracy serve us, as individuals.

That is why it is "Tyranny of the Ignorants".

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you take a different approach in relation to the Syrian airstrikes and the fact that most people were against them, yet they were pushed through by Parliament?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you take a different approach in relation to the Syrian airstrikes and the fact that most people were against them, yet they were pushed through by Parliament?

If I recall my position correctly, it was that Parliament did not need to vote in order for the PM to authorize military action.

My position was that the vote was a farce, something that was unnecessary and which simply highlighted the disconnection some politicians had with the electorate, bearing in mind that the Conservatives were whipped to vote in favor, over the concerns raised by those on the Select Defence Committees.

Its "ignorant" to fear rape?
Reply 9
Original post by Lady Comstock
I am not saying referendums should be held for all political decisions, but if a political leader wants to make a major decision, such as Merkel has in this case, should they be required to hold a referendum to gain the approval of the people?

I would support popular referendums like in Switzerland.
Original post by mmm778899

It's "ignorant" to resort to illogical and irrational rhetoric, as justification for discrimination, racism, xenophobia or prejudice.
Original post by Josb
I would support popular referendums like in Switzerland.

It'd be quite unfeasible for the UK, given the populace and the general apathy towards politics.
If I recall my position correctly, it was that Parliament did not need to vote in order for the PM to authorize military action.

My position was that the vote was a farce, something that was unnecessary and which simply highlighted the disconnection some politicians had with the electorate, bearing in mind that the Conservatives were whipped to vote in favor, over the concerns raised by those on the Select Defence Committees.

Do you think the conservatives used it as a political tool then potentially bevause with a whipped vote it would obviously be passed?

They knew it would get a lot of media attention which inevitably focused more on divisions in the Labour Party (especially Benn) and less on the actual issue I.e military action in Syria?

So it was a good bit of 'EVERYONE, look at how divided labour are, what a joke, lol'.
It's "ignorant" to resort to illogical and irrational rhetoric, as justification for discrimination, racism, xenophobia or prejudice.

Amazing response.
@TheArtofProtest showing us the Art of being a mongrel.
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
@TheArtofProtest showing us the Art of being a mongrel.

I was informed by the CT that specific username had already been taken, in spirit, by you.
I was informed by the CT that specific username had already been taken, in spirit, by you.

HA. HA.
Reply 17
No. Referendum's rarely exercise the important issues involved. They are vulnerable to spin and seductive rhetoric. Simply see the SNP Yes campaign.
Reply 18
Original post by Aj12
No. Referendum's rarely exercise the important issues involved. They are vulnerable to spin and seductive rhetoric. Simply see the SNP Yes campaign.

It was rejected in the end.
Original post by mmm778899

No, it's ignorant to brand all refugees and migrants as monsters because of the actions of a tiny minority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending