The Student Room Group

Applying for medical school help

Hi
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shahow1998
I am really interested in going to medicine, I am currently studying As level chemistry, physics, biology and maths and should get 90+ UMS in all of them by the end of this year! However in my GCSE's I didn't perform that well and only got 2A* 4A and 6B. The two A* where in Maths and physics, I got an A in biology and chemistry but only a B in English. I really want to go to a top uni, I know I'll be able to perform really well on the Bmat and UK CAT aswell. How much will my poor GCSEs affect me if i can deliver what I've claimed to do... Please help I really don't know what I'm limited to.

If you're applying Cambridge they don't care about GCSEs at all. High ums well above 90 in your best 3 and a good BMAT score will put you in a good position. However, for other medical schools they will look at your GCSEs. This doesn't mean you can't get in - but you have to perform very well in the UKCAT. Pick universities such as Cambridge and Imperial if you really think you can do well in the BMAT (but beware, it's a large risk - bmat is difficult - but at the same time they look less at your GCSEs). Hope this helps.
Oh I see, I'll definitely put the work in and hopefully will achieve those grades. Are there any lower class universities that will accept me for medicine (easier to get into but still good uni's) I think with Cambridge and imperial college I'll be up against applicants with much better GCSEs than me, so I need to have other uni's in mind aswell. Sorry if it's a big ask but I like to read around where I'm potentially going, thanks again

There are no 'lower class' universities when it comes to medicine. You'll have plenty of options when the time comes, your gcses really aren't bad at all. Check out the medicine wiki to start narrowing down options (it's a little out of date so you'll have to double check the details on the universities' websites). It's hard to recommend universities until you've sat the ukcat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Check out the medicine wiki to start narrowing down options (it's a little out of date so you'll have to double check the details on the universities' websites). It's hard to recommend universities until you've sat the ukcat.

Understatement, much? :lol:
Original post by Hydeman
Understatement, much? :lol:

You're welcome to update it if you want. :yep:
The problem is all the medicine mods are too busy being medical students at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome to update it if you want. :yep:
The problem is all the medicine mods are too busy being medical students at the moment.

I did think about doing that, actually. Can it be edited by non-mods? :3
I am really interested in going to medicine, I am currently studying As level chemistry, physics, biology and maths and should get 90+ UMS in all of them by the end of this year! However in my GCSE's I didn't perform that well and only got 2A* 4A and 6B. The two A* where in Maths and physics, I got an A in biology and chemistry but only a B in English. I really want to go to a top uni, I know I'll be able to perform really well on the Bmat and UK CAT aswell. How much will my poor GCSEs affect me if i can deliver what I've claimed to do... Please help I really don't know what I'm limited to.

My GCSEs were far far worse than yours and I got in. It shows improvement so can work as an advantage for you.
Plus I think your GCSEs are far better than most medics don't stress.
Original post by Hydeman
I did think about doing that, actually. Can it be edited by non-mods? :3

They've updated the way articles are done so I'm not sure actually. But if you let me know any changes I can see that it gets updated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see, I'll definitely put the work in and hopefully will achieve those grades. Are there any lower class universities that will accept me for medicine (easier to get into but still good uni's) I think with Cambridge and imperial college I'll be up against applicants with much better GCSEs than me, so I need to have other uni's in mind aswell. Sorry if it's a big ask but I like to read around where I'm potentially going, thanks again

Actually it's these "upper class" - (whatever that means in your world) unis that use GCSEs less. I know at some of these "lower class unis" they decide on interviews using 50% gcses, 50% UKCAT. So it's still doable with a good UKCAT score. In all honesty, you can't make any decisions until finishing your UKCAT which is a long time away. Then research every uni and apply based on your strengths.
They've updated the way articles are done so I'm not sure actually. But if you let me know any changes I can see that it gets updated.

Alright, I'll get back to you. :biggrin: I have my new spare-time project now.

Hello,

It's great that you're interested in Medicine! Lots of Medical Schools at various universities state that to be considered for a place, candidate must have the minimum requirement for GCSE grades. For many places, at least 4 grades at A are asked for. You satisfy this!

We've actually got a Medical School comparison tool where you can compare the entry requirements for all of the different Medical Schools in the UK. Use it here to find out which schools would best suit you!

Other than that, your predicted grades seem excellent. Other users have also stated above that places like Imperial and Cambridge don't focus on GCSEs as much as they do on the entrance exam aptitude tests - so make sure you get studying for these!

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal
Just out of interest what grades did you get at a level & what medical school did you get into ?

A*A*A* and Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending