The Student Room Group

Retaking Alevels after my degree.

I've about to finish a degree doing Biomedical Science. I am expecting a 2:2. 2:1 if im extremely lucky but highly doubt that.I want to become a secondary school teacher therefore I want to do a Biology PGCE. My Alevel results are awful. BDE (D in biology, E in chemistry)I dont think I will even get any interviews to do a PGCE with those results and my "ok" degree.

Is it possible to retake the my alevels (either starting Year 12 again and starting from scratch or only retaking certain ones)? I would be willing to redo the whole 2 years if I had to. This is also posted in the Alevel thread, so I apologise if you have read this twice.
I honestly don't know what to say, quite unusual case, I think it should be possible for you to retake your a levels, anyway.
Original post by superdan_
I've about to finish a degree doing Biomedical Science. I am expecting a 2:2. 2:1 if im extremely lucky but highly doubt that.I want to become a secondary school teacher therefore I want to do a Biology PGCE. My Alevel results are awful. BDE (D in biology, E in chemistry)I dont think I will even get any interviews to do a PGCE with those results and my "ok" degree.

Is it possible to retake the my alevels (either starting Year 12 again and starting from scratch or only retaking certain ones)? I would be willing to redo the whole 2 years if I had to. This is also posted in the Alevel thread, so I apologise if you have read this twice.

It would certainly be possible, but you'd have to self fund the course as well as cover your living expenses. Would this be something that you'd be able to afford?
I heard its around £450 per course. Id probably only want to retake my Biology, maybe Chemistry if I felt I could afford it.
Funding isnt too much of an issue.

I know you also have to pay for exam entries, which im fine with.

Its just whether its possible and what is it like? If I want to do a science alevel, surely I would have to do some part of it at a college or school since I clearly do not have lab equipment at home.
Original post by superdan_
I heard its around £450 per course. Id probably only want to retake my Biology, maybe Chemistry if I felt I could afford it.
Funding isnt too much of an issue.

I know you also have to pay for exam entries, which im fine with.

Its just whether its possible and what is it like? If I want to do a science alevel, surely I would have to do some part of it at a college or school since I clearly do not have lab equipment at home.

I didn't realise you were looking specifically at distance learning. This is usually still possible, but if there's coursework/assessed practicals on the course, you'll usually have to go to a college to complete these- and the nearest college may not be especially close to you. You'd also have to go to a recognized exam center to take the exams, which again you'd potentially have to travel to reach.

You'd perhaps be best contacting various different companies to see which ones offer a package that would suit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending