The Student Room Group

Medicine - A level Options

For those of you that study medicine at top universities (Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, KCL etc.), what a-levels did you do? Do you know of anyone who did maths + 3 sciences and got in? I just want to know what subjects keep cropping up. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all the medical schools open to you.If you don’t take maths or physics but do take chemistry and biology, it will keep open the vast majority.If you don’t take biology, but do take chemistry and one from maths or physics, fewer medical schools will accept you.

-R
Original post by 1jonam16
For those of you that study medicine at top universities (Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, KCL etc.), what a-levels did you do? Do you know of anyone who did maths + 3 sciences and got in? I just want to know what subjects keep cropping up. Thanks in advance.

'Top' universities don't matter for Medicine - all are very hard to get in to and you'll become a doctor regardless of where you go. You can find stats for Medical Students here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511

Plenty get in with Maths and 3 sciences.
Reply 3
I suppose you're right @usycool1 but by top, I don't necessarily mean academically, but more to do with social life offered etc...
Reply 4
Physics, geography or philosophy btw? Which would you say is most useful?
I suppose you're right @usycool1 but by top, I don't necessarily mean academically, but more to do with social life offered etc...

In that case, everyone will have a different Medical School as to what they view as 'top' because each person will have their own different preferences. It'd be best to go on some open days and see which one's you like best, although applying to your strengths should be the most important thing IMO.

Physics, geography or philosophy btw? Which would you say is most useful?

Any. If you're looking into Cambridge, they like to see Science subjects for Medicine whilst UCL give a small preference to a non-science subject. For all others, any should be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
@usycool1 Thanks a lot for the help so far :smile: Are you currently studying medicine then? Secondly, for Cambridge is there no preference for a subject such philosophy rather than physics?
@usycool1 Thanks a lot for the help so far :smile: Are you currently studying medicine then? Secondly, for Cambridge is there no preference for a subject such philosophy rather than physics?

No worries and yeah, I'm at Imperial. :smile:

Cambridge want to see three sciences, so just make sure you have three if you want to study there.
Reply 8
Original post by usycool1
No worries and yeah, I'm at Imperial. :smile:

Cambridge want to see three sciences, so just make sure you have three if you want to study there.

I assume maths is a science, then? Or is it that physics is mandatory?

Also could I ask what BMATs and GCSEs you got to get into Imperial? Would LOVE to go there - looks amazing!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd recommend all 3 sciences and maths to be honest. Keeps all your options open for universities and other subjects if you have a change of heart. That is if you enjoy them of course
Reply 10
Original post by AsifHossain
I'd recommend all 3 sciences and maths to be honest. Keeps all your options open for universities and other subjects if you have a change of heart. That is if you enjoy them of course

Tragic thing is that I enjoy all of them and geo...so bit of a problem.

Quick Reply