The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do!!???!!!

I'm currently in year 12 studying biology, physics, maths and geogaphy. I'm predicted all As at AS,however after my mocks I expect I'm more likely to achieve As and Bs ( I would like to achieve above a C in everything) My problem is that I don't know what I want to do next. I'm pretty certain I'd like to go to uni, and I don't fancy a gap year, however I have no idea which course. I find it very stressful that this decision affects what I will spend the rest of my life doing. I think radiology/ radiography sounds interesting or maybe some other medical physics area, however I'm worried I won't achieve the necessary physics grades. I will soon be completing a weeks work experience in a hospital, including some radiology experience so hopefully that will help me decide if that is for me.

In short, I'm wondering how did you all decide which course to choose? Also when did you choose, and am I leaving it too late to decide? Also if any of you took similar subjects - what course did you choose??
(edited 8 years ago)
I decided in year 7 that I want to be a doctor, but I wasn't certain until year 11 when I started doing work experience. If you're not sure, it's best to try different areas and find what you like best.
Reply 2
Original post by yukicookie
I decided in year 7 that I want to be a doctor, but I wasn't certain until year 11 when I started doing work experience. If you're not sure, it's best to try different areas and find what you like best.

Thanks! What made you decide you wanted to study medicine?? When do you think I should have decided by??
Reply 3
Original post by Hello1232123
I'm currently in year 12 studying biology, physics, maths and geogaphy. I'm predicted all As at AS,however after my mocks I expect I'm more likely to achieve As and Bs ( I would like to achieve above a C in everything) My problem is that I don't know what I want to do next. I'm pretty certain I'd like to go to uni, and I don't fancy a gap year, however I have no idea which course. I find it very stressful that this decision affects what I will spend the rest of my life doing. I think radiology/ radiography sounds interesting or maybe some other medical physics area, however I'm worried I won't achieve the necessary physics grades. I will soon be completing a weeks work experience in a hospital, including some radiology experience so hopefully that will help me decide if that is for me.

In short, I'm wondering how did you all decide which course to choose? Also when did you choose, and am I leaving it too late to decide? Also if any of you took similar subjects - what course did you choose??

It's exactly the same as me I am in year 12 doing my AS levels I have taken : re, English and biology I am also looking into radiology I have no idea at all what I would like to do it was hard for me too choose my AS levels because I didn't know what job I would like in the future I am hoping to go to uni though!!
Thanks! What made you decide you wanted to study medicine?? When do you think I should have decided by??

When I volunteered in the care home I knew that I wanted to look after the health of those people. Watching my grandmother while she was in the hospice was probably the most influential. I knew at that moment that I want to have the knowledge and ability to save people like her from pain.
You can never be sure about what you want to do until you try many different things and there is just that one thing that makes you excited. Don't decide if you're not ready by the deadline. Take a gap year and maybe then you will find a career you would want to spend your life with.
Reply 5
Original post by SerenAkp
It's exactly the same as me I am in year 12 doing my AS levels I have taken : re, English and biology I am also looking into radiology I have no idea at all what I would like to do it was hard for me too choose my AS levels because I didn't know what job I would like in the future I am hoping to go to uni though!!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one!! Let me know if you make any progress with your decision!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yukicookie
When I volunteered in the care home I knew that I wanted to look after the health of those people. Watching my grandmother while she was in the hospice was probably the most influential. I knew at that moment that I want to have the knowledge and ability to save people like her from pain.
You can never be sure about what you want to do until you try many different things and there is just that one thing that makes you excited. Don't decide if you're not ready by the deadline. Take a gap year and maybe then you will find a career you would want to spend your life with.

I think I'm going to spend some time researching some courses and then try some things out, as you suggest. I don't really fancy a gal year, however you may be right that it's what I need if I can't decide what I'd like to do soon.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think I'm going to spend some time researching some courses and then try some things out, as you suggest. I don't really fancy a gal year, however you may be right that it's what I need if I can't decide what I'd like to do soon.

I took a gap year, now working in biochemistry/haematology. I wanted to be a biomed, but actually working in a lab has absolutely changed my idea. Radiography is my passion and now my mind is set on that.
Reply 8
Original post by harinimnida
I took a gap year, now working in biochemistry/haematology. I wanted to be a biomed, but actually working in a lab has absolutely changed my idea. Radiography is my passion and now my mind is set on that.

Are you completing a radiology degree, or going into it through another route??
Are you completing a radiology degree, or going into it through another route??

Degree route, I've applied for this September entry.
Original post by harinimnida
Degree route, I've applied for this September entry.

Good luck!! What A levels are you doing, and what grades do you need for uni??
Try doing something thats related to your hobby or what you like doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending