The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dopesmoker
I'm sorry.... in fact I'll even start a charity collection for your tears:

Everyone please donate and together we can help to bring an end to DedicatedWizard's tears :lol:

I never said any job was beneath me, and the fact that your mum is a waitress but wants to be an accountant, just confirms everything I said.

No she is perfectly qualified to be one but the UK doesn't see them as equivalent. I don't know why.

Also I would like to politely decline the offer to start up a charity for me :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by SophieSmall
I think a lot of it for the things you have put forward come down to risk. A lot of people try to become musicians and artists, but they're risky things to throw your whole life at. Most people simply don't succeed in those fields, not to say they shouldn't try bit there comes a point where you need a job that actually pays rent if you're not getting anywhere with your creativity.

Also just a side note Vincent van gogh wasn't considered successful until long after his death he made basically no money out of his art. He spent a lot of his life living relative poverty. :wink:

Also I disagree with the sentiment that everyone has a talent and that everyone can be successful. I just think it's unrealistic to believe everyone is special and it's also economically not viable for everyone to successful it just can't and won't happen. However that is not to say I don't think people should try, as I think they should. I just think it's unrealistic to expect everyone to be able to succeed.

I'm not expecting them to succeed I just think it's sad people say "that's not gonna work I'll take the safe route" because you never know what happens until you try and when those people are really old they're going to regret not taking a chance and giving it a go

People usually do this thing alongside their studies/ jobs - we're lucky here we have student loans and loads of helps should we need it so people can work alongside their studies to make money to support what they really wanna do. Obviously have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out and if it doesn't you tried... but not trying at all is what I don't understand.

Oh really? :O didn't know... that's a man dedicated to his work right there...

So you believe that some people are just useless? bit harsh tbh... everyone is good at something - why can't they be?
I know it's not economically viable but if people who HAVE the chance (like we do here in Great Britain) they should at least try.
and you don't have to be famous and earning millions for it - you can just do what you love and get a decent pay from it, just as much as an office job pays, but it's something you wake up every morning and look forward to doing... and there's MANY people like that that very little people know about - and they're living their dreams, doing just fine financially
Original post by z33
I'm not expecting them to succeed I just think it's sad people say "that's not gonna work I'll take the safe route" because you never know what happens until you try and when those people are really old they're going to regret not taking a chance and giving it a go

People usually do this thing alongside their studies/ jobs - we're lucky here we have student loans and loads of helps should we need it so people can work alongside their studies to make money to support what they really wanna do. Obviously have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out and if it doesn't you tried... but not trying at all is what I don't understand.

Oh really? :O didn't know... that's a man dedicated to his work right there...

So you believe that some people are just useless? bit harsh tbh... everyone is good at something - why can't they be?
I know it's not economically viable but if people who HAVE the chance (like we do here in Great Britain) they should at least try.
and you don't have to be famous and earning millions for it - you can just do what you love and get a decent pay from it, just as much as an office job pays, but it's something you wake up every morning and look forward to doing... and there's MANY people like that that very little people know about - and they're living their dreams, doing just fine financially

I do agree it is sad, but sometimes people have commitments they can't ignore and they simply cannot afford to take chances. It's obviously reasonable to try on the side as a hobby and stuff like you said.

yeah don't think he's a great person to aspire to. Man had a tragic life, he cut off his ear and killed himself for crying out loud :tongue: Pick better role models man!

I never said useless, I just think it's unrealistic to believe everyone is great at something. I see absolutely no logic in it. Good enough at something sure, but not everyone excels or stands out in something or has some amazing talent. Some people are just mediocre or pretty good at everything or some things and that is fine, I see no problem with that so long as they're happy.

I did say I think they should try, just that it doesn't always work out.
Reply 43
I do agree it is sad, but sometimes people have commitments they can't ignore and they simply cannot afford to take chances. It's obviously reasonable to try on the side as a hobby and stuff like you said.

yeah don't think he's a great person to aspire to. Man had a tragic life, he cut off his ear and killed himself for crying out loud :tongue: Pick better role models man!

I never said useless, I just think it's unrealistic to believe everyone is great at something. I see absolutely no logic in it. Good enough at something sure, but not everyone excels or stands out in something or has some amazing talent. Some people are just mediocre or pretty good at everything or some things and that is fine, I see no problem with that so long as they're happy.

I did say I think they should try, just that it doesn't always work out.

Yeah :smile:
whoops :colondollar: - he might've been crazy but all the best people are :tongue:
poor guy :/

yeah sure not stands out but like people who are good at singing sing locally and make a few bucks, maybe they can be hired to sing at weddings etc and make their money from that :3
people can sell paintings and stuff
usually the people that get famous aren't famous because they excel at that talent anyway - it's because they know people who are famous - all about contacts
so really... how great you are at something doesnt matter :tongue: but everyone has something they love and they want to do for the rest of their lives - and those people can work at it until they become great
Michael Jackson didn't become Michael Jackson out of the blue! loads of vocal coaching, singing lessons, hours and hours of work to get to that point
no one is naturally excellent at anything, but some people are naturally good and they CAN be excellent if they really put in the work

but like you said some people have other priorities - this life is what 50-60 years of adulthood so they have loads of time to get back to it :3

Aha and I never said they should succeed! just that they should try... and if it doesn't work out - fair enough
Original post by z33
whoops :colondollar: - he might've been crazy but all the best people are :tongue:
poor guy :/

yeah sure not stands out but like people who are good at singing sing locally and make a few bucks, maybe they can be hired to sing at weddings etc and make their money from that :3
people can sell paintings and stuff
usually the people that get famous aren't famous because they excel at that talent anyway - it's because they know people who are famous - all about contacts
so really... how great you are at something doesnt matter :tongue: but everyone has something they love and they want to do for the rest of their lives - and those people can work at it until they become great
Michael Jackson didn't become Michael Jackson out of the blue! loads of vocal coaching, singing lessons, hours and hours of work to get to that point
no one is naturally excellent at anything, but some people are naturally good and they CAN be excellent if they really put in the work

but like you said some people have other priorities - this life is what 50-60 years of adulthood so they have loads of time to get back to it :3

Aha and I never said they should succeed! just that they should try... and if it doesn't work out - fair enough

Never heard of a prodigy? Some people are freakishly naturally amazing at stuff.

Yeah I see where you are coming from, I just as I said don't think it is viable (not in this world anyway) to always follow your dreams. But yeah no harm in trying.
Reply 45
Never heard of a prodigy? Some people are freakishly naturally amazing at stuff.

Yeah I see where you are coming from, I just as I said don't think it is viable (not in this world anyway) to always follow your dreams. But yeah no harm in trying.

I have I have but those people are just anomalies X'D
jealous af though ¬_¬
like that guy that hot hit in the head and can now remember every detail of everything that happened in every day of his life...
sometimes I wish someone would hit me in the head with a baseball bat :cry2:
Well tbf my dad dropped me on my head when I was little but I think he got the wrong angle :lol:

If you can't progress in a large retail company then it's likely your nowhere near as brilliant as you think you are.

As for salary progression, that's a joke right? Your never going to IB sums but if i'd stayed working for my prior employer before returning to education i'd be in management in the high 20k's by now. As it is, i have a friend who's been promoted after 2 years and my manager started 7 years ago.

The people who end up being 'dead end' are the types who may be great, hard working people but they are not the brightest crayons in the box and probably don't have the initiative or desire to go for what they want. Hell, Pret (coffee shop) will pay you £40k per year to start if you have management experience elsewhere, my prior area manager at PC World was on £90k and the store manager (age 25) on almost £40k.

Now if your arguing that retail will bore you into suicide ect.. you might have a point.
Original post by z33
I have I have but those people are just anomalies X'D
jealous af though ¬_¬
like that guy that hot hit in the head and can now remember every detail of everything that happened in every day of his life...
sometimes I wish someone would hit me in the head with a baseball bat :cry2:
Well tbf my dad dropped me on my head when I was little but I think he got the wrong angle :lol:

haha I used to get really really sad about it when I was a kid, because I knew no matter what I did I could never and will never be as good as those prodigies I saw on TV. I'm over it now :tongue:

Ehh, I wouldn't be jealous of that one too much. Sure he gets to remember everything useful and is probably a great learner but he also has to have bad memories still in his mind clear as day. Hard to emotionally heal from things when the pain is constantly fresh in your mind.

Haha :tongue:
Reply 48
haha I used to get really really sad about it when I was a kid, because I knew no matter what I did I could never and will never be as good as those prodigies I saw on TV. I'm over it now :tongue:

Ehh, I wouldn't be jealous of that one too much. Sure he gets to remember everything useful and is probably a great learner but he also has to have bad memories still in his mind clear as day. Hard to emotionally heal from things when the pain is constantly fresh in your mind.

Haha :tongue:

Same ;_; those 7 year old programmers that make full blown games while I'm sitting here trying to write one line of code X'D
or that 11 year old that graduated from uni of california with 3 degrees... :colonhash: why God why? Just ... why?

True true but I'd be getting A*s in every exam I take - just by reading the textbook the night before X'D
isn't that amazing?!
and tbh it doesn't have to be an extreme case like that - loads of people have photographic/ eidetic memories and I'm here with the memory of a goldfish -.-'
eventually some things will be forgotten X'D

it's like a ****ing superpower ._.
Reply 49
Original post by Rakas21
If you can't progress in a large retail company then it's likely your nowhere near as brilliant as you think you are.

As for salary progression, that's a joke right? Your never going to IB sums but if i'd stayed working for my prior employer before returning to education i'd be in management in the high 20k's by now. As it is, i have a friend who's been promoted after 2 years and my manager started 7 years ago.

The people who end up being 'dead end' are the types who may be great, hard working people but they are not the brightest crayons in the box and probably don't have the initiative or desire to go for what they want. Hell, Pret (coffee shop) will pay you £40k per year to start if you have management experience elsewhere, my prior area manager at PC World was on £90k and the store manager (age 25) on almost £40k.

Now if your arguing that retail will bore you into suicide ect.. you might have a point.

Area manager on 90k?

How big are these areas?
Original post by Dopesmoker
Area manager on 90k?

How big are these areas?

Not sure although at the time he was based from one of only 8 megastores in the country (the huge ones) so he possibly got higher pay from that. I'd imagine he had at least a county if not a region.
For some people it's necessity i.e. they have bills to pay and kids to feed so they can't afford to be picky about work, they just need SOME work.

And for others it could just be that they enjoy doing a job with routine. My assistant at work isn't fussed about promotions and isn't very ambitious, he just likes coming in, knowing what he has to do and getting on with it, then being free to go home/for the weekend and forget about it all. If you want that work life balance then those kinds of jobs that aren't very mentally challenging are ideal.
Original post by z33
Same ;_; those 7 year old programmers that make full blown games while I'm sitting here trying to write one line of code X'D
or that 11 year old that graduated from uni of california with 3 degrees... :colonhash: why God why? Just ... why?

True true but I'd be getting A*s in every exam I take - just by reading the textbook the night before X'D
isn't that amazing?!
and tbh it doesn't have to be an extreme case like that - loads of people have photographic/ eidetic memories and I'm here with the memory of a goldfish -.-'
eventually some things will be forgotten X'D

it's like a ****ing superpower ._.

Yeah I am pretty jealous of people with memories like that, I struggle to remember the date.
Who are you to judge? Are you the president of the universe?
I don't really see the problem? Live your life, let others do the same!

I'd love to know how everyone would feel if suddenly there was no one to collect rubbish and they had to drive it to a dump or something...

When you go shopping...oh wait don't bother. When your self checkout stops working, fix it yourself. Wait...no sorry, let's go back a step. You can't go shopping because there are no workers to put the items out, no security guards to actually watch oer the store etc. So now all shopping is online.

Huge workload? Do it yourself..No PA's for you.

Need to get through to someone? Sorry they are busy and there's no secretary, just keep ringing until hopefully they free up some time for you.

Need help with your mobile phone or online banking? Nah man, fix that yourself too. No one can pick up the phone..because there's no one working. Go into the shop..wait no. No shop because no retail workers.
Original post by Drewski
The former head of tesco (a few years ago, well before their current issues) was earning something like £15m/yr.

He started out as a weekend trolley boy.

You don't think there's progression in retail? You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Don't believe the fairy story fed to you by business lobbyists.

He stacked shelves at Tesco whilst at school and just happened to apply to Tesco head office after he had finished his degree in management sciences (and after a couple of rejections for other positions).

Even if he had been one of these vaninshingly rare rags to riches capitalist **** fantasies whose "inspirational" stories we are constantly regaled with, he would have been doing this in the 1970s when the world and UK economy was a very different place and there was full employment for one thing.

Our country is not a meritocracy and you do not get on through hard work. You get on through coming across middle class, doing well on standardised tests, going to university and getting brand names on your CV.
Original post by Drewski
The former head of tesco (a few years ago, well before their current issues) was earning something like £15m/yr.

He started out as a weekend trolley boy.

You don't think there's progression in retail? You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Don't believe the fairy story fed to you by business lobbyists.

He stacked shelves at Tesco whilst at school and just happened to apply to Tesco head office after he had finished his degree in management sciences (and after a couple of rejections for other positions).

Even if he had been one of these vaninshingly rare rags to riches capitalist **** fantasies whose "inspirational" stories we are constantly regaled with, he would have been doing this in the 1970s when the world/UK economy - and even Tesco itself - was a very different place and there was full employment for one thing.

Our country is not a meritocracy and you do not get on through hard work. You get on through coming across middle class, doing well on standardised tests, going to university and getting brand names on your CV.
Reply 57
Original post by scrotgrot

Exactly this.
Quite a few people don't have a choice, people need to put food on the table and this is the only way to do it for a lot of people.
Please don't look down on Bin men and cleaners their jobs are far more important than most jobs. If there are no bin men imagine how dirty and disgusting the street will be.

Latest