The Student Room Group

Trevor Phillips abandons integration propaganda -- admits "Muslims are not like us"

Muslim communities are not like others in Britain and the country should accept they will never integrate, the former head of the equalities watchdog has claimed.
Trevor Phillips, the former chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, said it was disrespectful to assume that Muslim communities would change.
He told a meeting at the Policy Exchange think tank in Westminster on Monday that Muslims ‘see the world differently from the rest of us’.
According to The Times, he said: ‘Continuously pretending that a group is somehow eventually going to become like the rest of us is perhaps the deepest form of disrespect.
‘Because what you are essentially saying is the fact that they behave in a different way, some of which we may not like, is because they haven’t yet seen the light. It may be that they see the world differently to the rest of us.
’Mr Phillips added that people of certain backgrounds in the UK are not going to change their views ‘simply because we are constantly telling them that basically they should be like us’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418620/Muslims-not-like-just-accept-never-integrate-says-former-racial-equalities-chief-Trevor-Phillips.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thesabbath
‘Continuously pretending that a group is somehow eventually going to become like the rest of us is perhaps the deepest form of disrespect.

The truth is that the deepest form of disrespect is to move to a country that has a way of life that is completely alien to your own beliefs and culture, expect not to assimilate yourself into it, and to then expect that the natives will be happy with or will acquiesce in your intransigence, especially when they have welcomed you as an asylum seeker and helped dig you out of a deep hole.
He is of course right.

Different cultures have different values. Islam is a way of life, with its own culture and values which are completely at odds to liberal, secular and humane "western" values.
(edited 8 years ago)
Slowly the west is being to wake up

Small steps but we will get there
Original post by AlwaysWatching
He is of course right.

I am sure he is right when describing their attitudes to integration, but the implication appears to be that we should acquiesce in this refusal to integrate. He isn't right about that.
Original post by BaconandSauce

I do get the impression that people are slowly starting to see
Original post by Good bloke
I am sure he is right when describing their attitudes to integration, but the implication appears to be that we should acquiesce in this refusal to integrate. He isn't right about that.

Yeah I meant that he is right about their attitude to integration, not his opinion that they shouldn't.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I do get the impression that people are slowly starting to see

We see the issues surrounding the bulk of the community and while some thought we could get them to change it seems finally we have admitted this simply isn't going to happen.

Now we need to work out how to stop the rot as they say.

Now we need to work out how to stop the rot as they say.

The obvious solution is not to give indefinite leave to stay to asylum seekers, nor eventual citizenship, and to make sure they go back when it is safe, to clamp down on migration from Islamic countries, and to prevent spouses being imported from abroad.

Of course, that depends on having a Home Office that is competent and fit for purpose.
(edited 8 years ago)
Welp. Time to "go back where I came from". :colondollar:
Reply 11

Exactly.
No matter what, the narrative is that everyone else is in the wrong, it would seem.
The obvious solution is not to give indefinite leave to stay to asylum seekers, nor eventual citizenship, and to make sure they go back when it is safe, to clamp down on migration from Islamic countries, and to prevent spouses being imported from abroad.

Of course, that depends on having a Home Office that is competent and fit for purpose.

Have to agree

We should also look at education and restricting mosques teaching children.

Also Halal and Sharia need to be addressed and in the most outlawed or severely restricted.

We also need to break up the communities that we have allowed to isolate themselves at the tax payers expense.
Reply 13
I never took Trevor Phillips seriously
Reply 14

Most of us have been awake to this for decades. It's only the "intelligencia" and the Islington dinner party set that have trouble seeing further than the end of their noses.

Hopefully they wake up in time to reverse Europe's suicide mission. But they are thick liberals so I wouldn't bank on it. Muslim refugees defacating and jacking off in public swimming pools and gang raping young women is perfectly explainable through cultural differences according to these dumbasses.
Original post by TeeEm

Be honest: did you know who he was before you saw this thread? :wink:
Have to agree

We should also look at education and restricting mosques teaching children.

Also Halal and Sharia need to be addressed and in the most outlawed or severely restricted.

We also need to break up the communities that we have allowed to isolate themselves at the tax payers expense.

And not forget that more than half of all British mosques have imams that have been trained by some form of Wahabbi Islam, which is the non-integrating, extreme, conservative kind. We should make them find new imams, or close them down.
Reply 17
Original post by TeeEm

He's never even heard of you.
Original post by WitlessHippo
Welp. Time to "go back where I came from". :colondollar:

I think most people would rather more Muslims to be aware of the flaws in their religion and integrate far better into British society. Many do, many do not.

Phillips has been saying things like this for a while, he had a whole TV programme about it on the BBC a couple of years ago, so it isn't really new 'news' and surely most people would agree with your view on the latter point? Clearly Muslims living in Britain do need to accept a variety of things about living here, including the existence of pluralism of religions and the primacy of secular law making.

Is there really strong evidence that the majority don't? So far at any rate, apart from some fringe elements, we have not had tens of thousands of Muslims rallying in the streets demanding Sharia. There is a moral panic about this. Phillips has past form for being a moral panicker and a manipulator of emotions - he did a fair bit of it in that show and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending