The Student Room Group

700,000 men a year are victims of domestic abuse.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
To compare the position of black people in the USA in the 1950's to women in the UK today is actually quite disrespectful.

No it isn't, men account for around 40 percent of domestic violence victims and married men are more likely to have been abused than married women. Don't criticise someone else for making up figures and then make up figures yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm you quoted someone other than me. I never 'made up' statistcs.
What a spoon.

Married men are not more likely than women, evidence your claim please.
Original post by Bornblue
Umm you quoted someone other than me. I never 'made up' statistcs.
What a spoon.

Married men are not more likely than women, evidence your claim please.

I quoted you and another person.

"More married men (2.3 per cent) suffered from partner abuse last year than married women, according to the latest British Crime Survey." The Independent on Sunday, 14 April 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
You are one to talk, you just pulled those figures out of your arse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said they were official but closest estimate definitely
Bornblue busy squirreling through the British Crime Survey.😊
Original post by Squirrel777
I never said they were official but closest estimate definitely

Based on what?
I quoted you and another person.

"More married men (2.3 per cent) suffered from partner abuse last year than married women, according to the latest British Crime Survey." The Independent on Sunday, 14 April 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

That same report said more; single, divorced and cohabited women are victims and that more women are victims of both physical and non-physical abuse.

What's your point anyway?

To call feminism sexist because it focuses on women's issues would be like calling civil rights movements racist because they focused on black's issues. It's a women's movement, of course it focuses on women's issues. But it still manages to do more for men than men's movements do.
That same report said more; single, divorced and cohabited women are victims and that more women are victims of both physical and non-physical abuse.

What's your point anyway?

It's hardly like I said men are worse off, I was simply rebutting the idea that women are the sole victims and highlighting how significant the problem is for men.

To call feminism sexist because it focuses on women's issues would be like calling civil rights movements racist because they focused on black's issues. It's a women's movement, of course it focuses on women's issues. But it still manages to do more for men than men's movements do.

You're comparing the position of women to the position of African Americans in 1950's again. To some extent yes, the civil rights movement was racist but it would be difficult to argue that there was any circumstance in which you were worse off being white, the same cannot be said about being male today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's hardly like I said men are worse off, I was simply rebutting the idea that women are the sole victims and highlighting how significant the problem is for men.

You're comparing the position of women to the position of African Americans in 1950's again. To some extent yes, the civil rights movement was racist but it would be difficult to argue that there was any circumstance in which you were worse off being white, the same cannot be said about being male today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. I don't think men in general can in anyway consider themselves worse off.
There are plenty of men's issues such as male poverty, male mental health etc, but the men's rights movements today are more concerned with attacking feminism rather than doing anything for the men they pretend to care about.
I disagree. I don't think men in general can in anyway consider themselves worse off.
There are plenty of men's issues such as male poverty, male mental health etc, but the men's rights movements today are more concerned with attacking feminism rather than doing anything for the men they pretend to care about.

Men are no worse off? So why are only 13.5% of all single parent households in the uk single father households? Why has rape not been expanded to include women as offenders? Why do men make up 95% of the prison population?

This is why people attack feminism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Men are no worse off? So why are only 13.5% of all single parent households in the uk single father households? Why has rape not been expanded to include women as offenders? Why do men make up 95% of the prison population?

This is why people attack feminism

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a woman 'rapes' a man they are still charged with sexual assault by penetration, which carries the same sentence as rape. That's hardly a huge atrocity is it?

Men don't make up 95% of prisons.

Men don't have it worse off, if you and others actually cared about men though you'd support men rather Than selecting issues which allow you to attack feminism.

Supporting men's rights is fine but you don't, you just want to stop women supporting theirs.
If a woman 'rapes' a man they are still charged with sexual assault by penetration, which carries the same sentence as rape. That's hardly a huge atrocity is it?

But if a woman is forcing a man into sex or a man is too drunk to consent and they have vaginal sex a woman can only be charged with sexual assault which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

And while we're on this topic why is it always the male who's guilty when two people have drunken sex?

Men don't make up 95% of prisons.

Well unless 81,443 isn't 95% of 85,260 they do.

Men don't have it worse off, if you and others actually cared about men though you'd support men rather Than selecting issues which allow you to attack feminism.

Supporting men's rights is fine but you don't, you just want to stop women supporting theirs.

I'm not claiming men are the great oppressed but to suggest that men have it better than woman in every area is just idiotic. No what I want is for feminists to stop whining about how cruelly unfair life is in this country and to realise that in certain areas they are now in a better position than men

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some interesting discussions here! Its a shame that this thread will not influence a change in attitudes towards men. Nonetheless, I would like to add that men will always be vulnerable due to these attitudes. The only way this can be prevented is if women have any sense of rationality in today's society and challenge these social inequalities. Yes men did behave in a spiteful way towards women in the past and even today in some cases. However, the world is progressing and things have improved for women. Even if you're still not satisfied as a woman I resolutely believe that it is cruel and twisted to leave men so vulnerable by ignoring this serious issue. Unlike women, men don't receive the support they need. Imagine living a life of depression where you have no one to help or talk to you about this and the only one who can fix your problem is yourself. Those who are in such a position may also feel frightened or blame themselves and thus possible explanations for this entrenched cause. Any man who suffers from such violence or depression should be commended for staying alive. The system is really harsh on men emotionally and mentally.
Original post by ProfessorSnape
Some interesting discussions here! Its a shame that this thread will not influence a change in attitudes towards men. Nonetheless, I would like to add that men will always be vulnerable due to these attitudes. The only way this can be prevented is if women have any sense of rationality in today's society and challenge these social inequalities. Yes men did behave in a spiteful way towards women in the past and even today in some cases. However, the world is progressing and things have improved for women. Even if you're still not satisfied as a woman I resolutely believe that it is cruel and twisted to leave men so vulnerable by ignoring this serious issue. Unlike women, men don't receive the support they need. Imagine living a life of depression where you have no one to help or talk to you about this and the only one who can fix your problem is yourself. Those who are in such a position may also feel frightened or blame themselves and thus possible explanations for this entrenched cause. Any man who suffers from such violence or depression should be commended for staying alive. The system is really harsh on men emotionally and mentally.

You killed Dumbledore.
Original post by offhegoes
You killed Dumbledore.

Yes
It's shocking and extremely upsetting. Especially when the media tends to display men to abuse women, rather than truly showing the extent to which it happens the other way around. I hope every man, and woman, who has ever suffered this knows it is not their fault, and that they are beautiful individuals. You are not weak, you're gonna be okay.
If you factor 'psychological abuse' into the mix, I imagine the number would be off the charts. Emotional manipulation, guilt-tripping and everything besides - two of my ex-girlfriends were emotional abusers. They would use everything and anything to get me to stay, including threatening suicide, stealing my stuff and faking an abortion.

Quick Reply

Latest