The Student Room Group

To what point are (i)GCSE's considered enough?

Obviously having 0A* or something like that would be pretty bad although stellar UMS could mitigate this.

I couldn't phrase the title as well as I aimed, but is there kind of threshold whereby gcses/igcses are not really cared at. In the sense that if you have more than 7/8 A* then other factors such as UMS would be more scrutinized?
Reply 1
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Obviously having 0A* or something like that would be pretty bad although stellar UMS could mitigate this.

I couldn't phrase the title as well as I aimed, but is there kind of threshold whereby gcses/igcses are not really cared at. In the sense that if you have more than 7/8 A* then other factors such as UMS would be more scrutinized?

They aren't much considered except for Medicine and sometimes Law.

Cambridge has found they aren't really a good predictor of success for the Tripos (their degrees).

People with 0 A*s get offers.
Original post by jneill

Cambridge has found they aren't really a good predictor of success for the Tripos (their degrees).

Oh right cool thanks for the reply, would you happen to know about NatSci?
Original post by jneill

Do they consider that those who have done igcses which are more rigorous than gcses when evaluating the ks4 grades?
Cambridge don't really care about GCSE's at all. Obviously, 15 A*'s is better than 8 C's (and few successful applicants will have the latter profile), but the difference between 3 A*'s and 8 is probably less than the difference between 90% UMS and 95% (for instance).
Do they consider that those who have done igcses which are more rigorous than gcses when evaluating the ks4 grades?

Possibly, but they will equally consider that private schools have better teaching (on average) than state schools (if you've done iGCSE's at a private school).
Reply 6
Oh right cool thanks for the reply, would you happen to know about NatSci?

What about NatSci?

They make no allowance between iGCSE and GCSE. Or between GCSE exam boards (e.g. some say CIE is harder). Cambridge doesn't care... :wink:
Original post by sweeneyrod
Possibly, but they will equally consider that private schools have better teaching (on average) than state schools (if you've done iGCSE's at a private school).

what about those that self taught igcses as an external candidate :biggrin:

Original post by jneill
What about NatSci?

They make no allowance between iGCSE and GCSE. Or between GCSE exam boards (e.g. some say CIE is harder). Cambridge doesn't care... :wink:

Lol okay thanks

do they look at natsci gcses, or not really at all
Reply 8

Nopes. They don't give care.
My friend who was a Cambridge applicant (and hence did extensive research about GCSEs as hers weren't "stellar") did say that GCSEs are used by as an indicator of your work ethic. If your GCSE's were amazing, just like your A levels, it tells the unis that you are a consistent hard worker with great work ethics. If your GCSEs are marginally different from your A level performance, they may question you. But other than that, I guess it shows your work standards and whether you're a consistent hard worker.
But each unis to their own preference. So it wouldn't be advisable to just generalize.
Reply 10
Original post by miyazakischihiro
My friend who was a Cambridge applicant (and hence did extensive research about GCSEs as hers weren't "stellar":wink: did say that GCSEs are used by as an indicator of your work ethic. If your GCSE's were amazing, just like your A levels, it tells the unis that you are a consistent hard worker with great work ethics. If your GCSEs are marginally different from your A level performance, they may question you. But other than that, I guess it shows your work standards and whether you're a consistent hard worker.
But each unis to their own preference. So it wouldn't be advisable to just generalize.

Just to reiterate the point about GCSEs. They really aren't used as "an indicator of your work ethic". And here's what a Cambridge Admission Tutor says:

"GCSE results are not important and are only ever considered in the context of your school. If you're on track to meet the typical offer, you shouldn't be put off."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62162885&postcount=34
Original post by jneill
Just to reiterate the point about GCSEs. They really aren't used as "an indicator of your work ethic". And here's what a Cambridge Admission Tutor says:

"GCSE results are not important and are only ever considered in the context of your school. If you're on track to meet the typical offer, you shouldn't be put off."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62162885&postcount=34

Thank you for the link.

Original post by miyazakischihiro
My friend who was a Cambridge applicant (and hence did extensive research about GCSEs as hers weren't "stellar":wink: did say that GCSEs are used by as an indicator of your work ethic. If your GCSE's were amazing, just like your A levels, it tells the unis that you are a consistent hard worker with great work ethics. If your GCSEs are marginally different from your A level performance, they may question you. But other than that, I guess it shows your work standards and whether you're a consistent hard worker.

Thank you for the reply.

Original post by Zacken
Nopes. They don't give care.

lol. Oh well, at least it bridged the gap a lot less to AS :l
Reply 12

lol. Oh well, at least it bridged the gap a lot less to AS :l

Indeed. I was in the same position as you - but I still managed an offer, so you'll be fine.
Original post by Zacken
Indeed. I was in the same position as you - but I still managed an offer, so you'll be fine.

Cool, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending