The Student Room Group

What argument do liberals and greens have for not voting for Corbyn?

He is everything you guys want. He is left wing and supports a left wing system of governence. Why would you not vote for him. He voices the same concerns as you people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He is a white heterosexual male - the devil made flesh.
Reply 2
Some of his policies regarding the military situation are controversial such as the scrapping trident and no bombing of syria were unpopular with members of his own party and the public
If they vote for a popular party like Labour, they'll lose their special snowflake status.
Hes a nice guy but he would be bad for buisness.
I agree with him on some things but there are 2 things which mean I would never vote for him;

1. He is a Statist. The State is a vehicle of our oppression not a savior from it and 2. He thinks the British electoral system is either ) a fit for purpose or b) foolishly thinks it's capable of change.
He calls terrorist groups 'friends' and associates himself with twisted organisations that promote anti-Semitic and just plain sick ideologies.
Reply 7
I like a lot of Corbyn's ideas and policies. Not all of them, but a lot of them. As a green, I am undecided whether I would vote Labour in 2020. It depends on how much control he has over the parliamentary party, most of whom I find repulsive.
Most people consider the 'moderates' centre-left/left.
Original post by ikhan94
Some of his policies regarding the military situation are controversial such as the scrapping trident and no bombing of syria were unpopular with members of his own party and the public

How would that explain Green Party supporters not turning to him? :laugh:
Original post by cBay
I like a lot of Corbyn's ideas and policies. Not all of them, but a lot of them. As a green, I am undecided whether I would vote Labour in 2020. It depends on how much control he has over the parliamentary party, most of whom I find repulsive.

I have quite a few Green friends who are having the same conflicion, so you're not alone.

I get what you mean, though.
Original post by mojojojo101
I agree with him on some things but there are 2 things which mean I would never vote for him;

1. He is a Statist. The State is a vehicle of our oppression not a savior from it and 2. He thinks the British electoral system is either ) a fit for purpose or b) foolishly thinks it's capable of change.

the absence of a state quickly degenerates into the purest form of capitalism, as does anything which strips back state power (assuming you don't mean 'oh yeah lets add lots of economic regulation but remove the minor state interference in social matters').
When exactly did liberals become necessarily far left?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
He is a white heterosexual male - the devil made flesh.

but he has close relations with members of the Afro-Caribbean community. very close.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Lib dems dont really exist- there just happens to be a confederation of social democrats that happen to support PR and are more socially liberal. Oh and have a loopy evangelist as leader.
Original post by Davij038
The Lib dems dont really exist- there just happens to be a confederation of social democrats that happen to support PR and are more socially liberal. Oh and have a loopy evangelist as leader.

So now the lib dems hold a global monopoly on liberalism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Davij038

That is actually the best summery of the LibDems that I have ever heard. Well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The liberal democrats are left wing and the sort of policies they desire are what Jeremy Corbyn is offering

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no doubt that Corbyn is more socially liberal than anyone in the Parliamentary LibDems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't, but the posting title obviously means the Lib-dems, often referred to as the 'Liberals'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending