The Student Room Group

IAL M3 January exam

Did anyone take this exam? Have I missed a thread about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did, I'm not sure there was a thread about it.

Edit: I don't think there was actually, it's a bit unpopular. All my other modules (except S2) have threads.
Original post by Zacken
I did, I'm not sure there was a thread about it.

Edit: I don't think there was actually, it's a bit unpopular. All my other modules (except S2) have threads.

How do IAL papers compare to normal in M3?
Reply 3
Original post by Student403
How do IAL papers compare to normal in M3?

I usually find IAL M3 papers a slight bit harder than the normal ones, but I'd wager that this year (sans the nasty moments) was easier than a normal home M3 paper. I'm screwed for this exam, tbh. Hoping I can scrape 70 UMS. (self-teaching moments did not work out). Might pick up S3 for June to cover this one up, not sure.
Original post by Zacken
I usually find IAL M3 papers a slight bit harder than the normal ones, but I'd wager that this year (sans the nasty moments) was easier than a normal home M3 paper. I'm screwed for this exam, tbh. Hoping I can scrape 70 UMS. (self-teaching moments did not work out). Might pick up S3 for June to cover this one up, not sure.

Wow that sounds harsh .. sorry to hear abt the exam
Reply 5
Wow that sounds harsh .. sorry to hear abt the exam

Thanks. It'll be a sore sight on my results sheet this march. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Thanks. It'll be a sore sight on my results sheet this march. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. :lol:

Ah well - chin up :smile:

I self taught M3 as well. What parts of moments did you think you didn't cover well?
Reply 7
Ah well - chin up :smile:

I self taught M3 as well. What parts of moments did you think you didn't cover well?

I can deal with M1 moments just fine, most of M2 moments - but M3 ones just confuse me. I don't really understand the whole resolve distance perpendicular thingy or whatever. I suspect my incompetence is due to lack of a textbook and examsolutions not having done the entire module.
Original post by Zacken
I can deal with M1 moments just fine, most of M2 moments - but M3 ones just confuse me. I don't really understand the whole resolve distance perpendicular thingy or whatever. I suspect my incompetence is due to lack of a textbook and examsolutions not having done the entire module.

Oh I see - Yeah even M2 ones I find somewhat challenging. I suppose I should revisit it. Did you use the FM support website video?
Reply 9
Oh I see - Yeah even M2 ones I find somewhat challenging. I suppose I should revisit it. Did you use the FM support website video?

Yups, those! They were crap. I googled most things and just practiced. Confident of everything except moments and boom, 18 mark moment question in the exam - plus the boundaries are strict, so down goes my UMS.
Original post by Zacken
Yups, those! They were crap. I googled most things and just practiced. Confident of everything except moments and boom, 18 mark moment question in the exam - plus the boundaries are strict, so down goes my UMS.

Holy f*** 18 marks!? That's almost a quarter of the paper
Reply 11
Holy f*** 18 marks!? That's almost a quarter of the paper

Sorry, I think it was 15 marks, I forgot. One of 15 or 18. Split into three parts. One was a standard centre of mass, got that. Another was a proof of some centre of mass of an object using integration. Another was the usual particle of mass km, find k, etc...
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, I think it was 15 marks, I forgot. One of 15 or 18. Split into three parts. One was a standard centre of mass, got that. Another was a proof of some centre of mass of an object using integration. Another was the usual particle of mass km, find k, etc...

Well either way that's still a lot. Interesting though, I'll have to do the paper myself
Reply 13
signing in
Original post by Zacken

Hey mate,

Do you need the M3 book? I've got a PDF version.
Reply 15
Original post by Marxist
Hey mate,

Do you need the M3 book? I've got a PDF version.

I got my hands on it the day before the exam. :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
signing in

The exams over and done a week ago. :tongue:
Original post by TeeEm
signing in

Hi
Original post by Zacken
I got my hands on it the day before the exam. :tongue:

Do S3 next year?
Reply 19