The Student Room Group

Analysis help?

I'm doing my English GCSEs and I'm having a bit of trouble with the analysis? My teacher keeps giving me Level 3 and occasionally Level 4 and says to "analyse" more. Anybody have any tips? Something that I can keep in mind besides Point Evidence Comment. Like, what exactly should I analyse on?
Depends on what you are trying to analyse
For one point, you want to try to include as many sub-points i.e. write a lot about a little.
Essentially, pick out one quote and dissect it in as many ways as possible. Find contradictions and examine the effect and purpose, if its a technique.
Reply 3
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Depends on what you are trying to analyse

Texts, basically. From the Language paper.
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
For one point, you want to try to include as many sub-points i.e. write a lot about a little.
Essentially, pick out one quote and dissect it in as many ways as possible. Find contradictions and examine the effect and purpose, if its a technique.

Oh okay, thanks. But what about literary devices? Do I just make up my own explanation for why it was used?
Original post by rii921
Oh okay, thanks. But what about literary devices? Do I just make up my own explanation for why it was used?

Try to link it up to the purpose of the text. So for example, a metaphor might have been used in a piece of descriptive text in order to set the scene for the reader and thus make the piece more coherent and flowing.
Most teachers will say to try and be original in your explanations which would mean looking at the text as a whole and commenting on it in that way. You could then link it up to effectiveness.

Quick Reply

Latest