The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Retired Footballers XI

What players are massively overrated/remembered with rose tinted glasses compared to their actual ability?

My XI would have to be:

Scholes
Scholes Scholes Scholes
Scholes Scholes Scholes Scholes
Scholes Scholes Scholes

Scroll to see replies

peter schmeichel
Pele
Zidane
Scholes
Beckham
Original post by leinad2012
Scholes
Scholes Scholes Scholes
Scholes Scholes Scholes Scholes
Scholes Scholes Scholes

Reply 5
In all seriousness now Jens Lehman is a shout too tbf
He's not retired but would put Robinho on this as well.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
He's not retired but would put Robinho on this as well.

Since when was he overrated? And overrated by who? I think most people would say he didn't fulfil his potential.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Since when was he overrated? And overrated by who? I think most people would say he didn't fulfil his potential.

Given the size and stature of some of the clubs he's played for. Would agree he didn't fulfill his potential. But he didn't warrant the money that was paid for him. Never really did much for Brazil either.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Given the size and stature of some of the clubs he's played for. Would agree he didn't fulfill his potential. But he didn't warrant the money that was paid for him. Never really did much for Brazil either.

Look at who paid that money though (I know you're talking about Man City here). And put it into context. They had just got taken over and that was a statement signing. They were throwing money all over the shop.

The Real Madrid transfer made sense as at the time he was the most wanted youngster in the world. That summer in 2005 he was like what Neymar was before he went to Barca. When Milan signed him they got him for half what Man City paid only a couple of years after he'd joined them.

It's a bad example imo.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Pele
Zidane
Scholes
Beckham

Really?

I'm with you 100% about the rest. But why do you think Zidane is overrated?
Original post by TheOneMusketeer
Really?

I'm with you 100% about the rest. But why do you think Zidane is overrated?

Zizou was definitely a great player but he was poor for a lot of his Madrid games especially toward the end but will probably be remembered more fondly than someone like Iniesta who imo is the better player.

I think he gets a little too highly rated because of his style of play and because particular moments tend to stick out more. If you look at France 98, he didn't do much other than get sent off and banned up until the final, but people will understandably just remember the final.
Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky

May as well be retired given how little football they play
Original post by sr90
Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky

May as well be retired given how little football they play

Surprised about Rosicky. I think English people would remember him as the Arsenal crock, and not the great player he was.

I'll edit in a list later.
Original post by little_wizard123
Surprised about Rosicky. I think English people would remember him as the Arsenal crock, and not the great player he was.

I'll edit in a list later.

You'd think he was Zidane given how Arsenal fans go on about him
Original post by sr90
You'd think he was Zidane given how Arsenal fans go on about him

Don't be so silly. Ozil is Zidane apparently.
Cantona-Very good player but did nothing in European competitions and looked good in England relative to the few technical players there at the time. Were it not for his De Gaullesque demeanour, strutting around like he owned the place, he wouldn't have the same aura.

Valderrama-Basically well-known for his haircut, he wasn't actually that great of a footballerRonaldinho-Has had 3 great seasons in his entire career. Not great

Ronaldo-Perceptions of him are based on what he should have been and not what he was. Outrageously talented and still a fantastic player in his later years with Madrid, but he was injured at the turn of the century when he was in his pomp.
Kanu-His goal return was pitiful
Original post by tengentoppa
Ronaldo-Perceptions of him are based on what he should have been and not what he was. Outrageously talented and still a fantastic player in his later years with Madrid, but he was injured at the turn of the century when he was in his pomp.

Cantona I agree with you on.

Ronaldo, no way. Not having that. He was the best player in the world at 20/21, proved it in the Netherlands, Spain and Italy and came back from awful injuries to pretty much single handedly win Brazil the World Cup.

Absolutely no chance Ronaldo is overrated, he is the blueprint for the modern striker. The perfect striker.
Giggs
Giggs Giggs Giggs Giggs
Giggs Giggs Giggs Giggs
Giggs Giggs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Henry and Ronaldinho are overrated I don't care what anyone says

Quick Reply

Latest