The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by emilyp2206
RIGHT, the equation, x^3+4x+3 has roots alpha beta and gamma.(a) Use the subistution x= the square root of u to obtain a cubic equation in u.This supposedly equals u^3+8u^2+16u+9=0If you can solve this n show how you will be an absolute star even my teacher couldnt

maybe it is late but I cannot make sense of this .... do you have a picture of the question?
Reply 2
Its not late i need all the help give us one second
Reply 3
RIGHT, the equation, x^3+4x+3 has roots alpha beta and gamma.(a) Use the subistution x= the square root of u to obtain a cubic equation in u.This supposedly equals u^3+8u^2+16u+9=0If you can solve this n show how you will be an absolute star even my teacher couldnt

There's surely more to this. Can you post a picture of the question?

Edit : too late :smile:
Reply 4

Do you mean that you can't figure out how to get the cubic in u, or you can't go on from that?
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
There's surely more to this. Can you post a picture of the question?

Edit : too late :smile:

posted, its not too late i just left my mock corrections v. late, sorry for the bad lighting
Reply 7
Original post by C0pper
Do you mean that you can't figure out how to get the cubic in u, or you can't go on from that?

i can get as far as substituting but yeah going from there to get the cubic, ive tried rearranging and squaring but i think that might be the wrong approach
Reply 8
if anyone has a worked solution i would appreciate it SO much if you could share i picture, all of my class mates and teacher are stumped strangely
Reply 9
on this right now
Reply 10
i can get as far as substituting but yeah going from there to get the cubic, ive tried rearranging and squaring but i think that might be the wrong approach

firstly I got -9 as the last term of the cubic

Secondly the cubic in u has solutions alpha2, beta2 and gamma2

I will now be off... hope it all makes sense

Is this the 2015 paper? Swear it's the one I sat last year :lol:

I'm guessing you've got to uu+4u+3=0u \sqrt u + 4 \sqrt u + 3 = 0 just from substituting in? Try taking the 3 to the other side and squaring, it comes out pretty easily from there. Took me way longer than I'd like to admit to spot that in the actual exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
if anyone has a worked solution i would appreciate it SO much if you could share i picture, all of my class mates and teacher are stumped strangely

Dropped you a PM with the solution. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by C0pper
Is this the 2015 paper? Swear it's the one I sat last year :lol:

I'm guessing you've got to uu+4u+3=0u \sqrt u + 4 \sqrt u + 3 = 0 just from substituting in? Try taking the 3 other to the other side and squaring, it comes out pretty easily from there. Took me way longer than I'd like to admit to spot that in the actual exam.

yeah its the last question :frown: im still struggling
I subbed in sqrt(u) into x. Then to get a u^3 I squared the whole thing, but then I get u^3 + 8u^2 + 4u + 6u^3/2 + 24u^1/2 + 9 = 0. Also what exam board was this?
shurley if you sub u into the equation it equals
u32+4u12+3=0 u^{\frac{3}{2}}+4u^{\frac{1}{2}}+3=0

Then move the three over and square
(u32+4u12)2=32 (u^{\frac{3}{2}}+4u^{\frac{1}{2}})^2=-3^2
then expand
u3+8u2+16u=9 u^3+8u^2+16u=9

sorry for the slow reply I'm really bad at LaTeX
(edited 8 years ago)
yeah its the last question :frown: im still struggling

uu+4u+3=0u(u+4)=3?u\sqrt{u}+4\sqrt{u}+3 =0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{u}(u+4)=-3 \Rightarrow ?

How can you remove the root?
Original post by NinjaOtter
I subbed in sqrt(u) into x. Then to get a u^3 I squared the whole thing, but then I get u^3 + 8u^2 + 4u + 6u^3/2 + 24u^1/2 + 9 = 0. Also what exam board was this?

It's OCR. Subtract 3 from both sides before squaring.
Reply 18
Original post by olegasr
Dropped you a PM with the solution. :smile:

So sound of you, thank you v. much, you doing fp1 in summer?
Original post by C0pper
It's OCR. Subtract 3 from both sides before squaring.

Yeah that makes a lot more sense, I did Edexcel so this wasn't a section we covered. We only covered subbing u into an x at A2

Latest