The Student Room Group

Do scientist unerstand quantum physics

what I think is they might understand the theory but they might not able to prove them.
what do you guys think?
Scientists don't understand this title

Spoiler

Original post by Mars Chan
what I think is they might understand the theory but they might not able to prove them.
what do you guys think?
Huh?

If the theory cannot be proven then I guess the following are not proven either:

Semiconductors
Lasers
Atomic clocks
Quantum Key Distribution
Quantum computing

to name a few.
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
Huh?

If the theory cannot be proven then I guess the following are not proven either:

Semiconductors
Lasers
Atomic clocks
Quantum Key Distribution
Quantum computing

to name a few.

Don't forget gravity and magnetism, there's no proof of their mechanics so they must be false too
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

<<<< Guess who said that

"The atoms or elementary particles themselves are not real; they form a world of potentialities or possibilities rather than one of things or facts."
----Werner Heisenberg
"Anyone not shocked by quantum mechanics has not yet understood it."
---Niels Bohr
Original post by captainslow69
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

<<<< Guess who said that

"The atoms or elementary particles themselves are not real; they form a world of potentialities or possibilities rather than one of things or facts."
----Werner Heisenberg
"Anyone not shocked by quantum mechanics has not yet understood it."
---Niels Bohr

Hmmmmm. This gets to the fundamental question about why the universe exists or what fundamental particles are and why they exist at all.

In that respect, science is on a similar footing with metaphysics and religion as an explanation - except that there is no scientific evidence to bolster the latter two claims.

That is not the same as understanding enough to be able to harness the properties of Quantum Mechanics to perform useful tasks.

Science continues it's search for answers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
What is the scientific evidence that truly bolsters modern Physics? It's all mostly unproven maths?
Original post by Geeorg
What is the scientific evidence that truly bolsters modern Physics? It's all mostly unproven maths?
If it's unproven then it's not accepted as proof of anything until it can be verified through the full scientific process.

Physics describes the behaviour of matter through observation (evidence) and predictive experimentation. Mathematical models are the tools. and language communicating that observed behaviour as accurately and repeatably as possible.

Physics (and indeed science) does not attempt to answer why the universe exists - which is more the realms of philosophy and meta-physics.

As physics and with it science progress, it places constraints on those philosophical explanations - including any unproven mathematical models.
Original post by Mars Chan
what do you guys think?

It depends. Scientists might understand the theoretical predictions of the theory, which they might not be able to prove because to prove them is to put them into experimental test, but not the experimental observations of it. This is particularly true with such theories of microscopic nature of the physical world due to the subatomic indeterminacy of physical laws.
Original post by Geeorg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern%E2%80%93Gerlach_experiment
Original post by Geeorg

How are you defining 'modern' physics? And what areas in particular would you consider 'unproven maths'?

Quick Reply

Latest