The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Retired Footballers XI

Scroll to see replies

loling big time at the very idea that Henry is overrated. Head and shoulders above any else who's ever played in this country.

Would also add Cantona. Think that chip he scored (against Sunderland??) is incredibly overrated.
Reply 41
Ginola should probably be up there, too. I loved watching him - but he was a luxury player - and he's no more skilful than the majority of modern-day PL players. If he was around these days, he'd be somewhere like Palace impressing but frustrating fans, rather than winning PFA Player of the Year nominations like he used to because nobody had seen a stepover at grounds like Highfield Road and Oakwell.
Original post by al_94
You can't just look at their high points and disregard their low points you have to look at everything otherwise you are just cherry picking it's not really a fair analysis of a player.

But no player can be world class for their entire career. It's not about the average. It's about the top of their game, although most would agree that this needs to be maintained for a few years, at least.

I'd probably define 'world class' as being in the top three in their position, and a 'world class player' as a player that was world class for at least three years.

How would you define it, out of interest?
Reply 43
Original post by little_wizard123
But no player can be world class for their entire career. It's not about the average. It's about the top of their game, although most would agree that this needs to be maintained for a few years, at least.

I'd probably define 'world class' as being in the top three in their position, and a 'world class player' as a player that was world class for at least three years.

How would you define it, out of interest?

Players can be world class maybe not for the whole career but majority of it look at CR7 he's been at the top level for like 10 seasons now maybe more and he's still amazing maybe not as good as last season but still one of the best. A world class player to me is someone who is among the best players in the world a player who is good enough to be in contention for a world XI squad.
Reply 44
Original post by Jimmy Seville
peter schmeichel

he was a top keeper ...
Reply 45
I never understood the hype about Cantona and Roy Keene
Reply 46
Man whoever thinks Scholes is overrated never watched football. OP must be 12 or something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sae.HH
Man whoever thinks Scholes are overrated never watched football. OP must be 12 or something.

These debates are always impossible. People arguing that a player isn't overrated by declaring they're amazing - it just doesn't work.

A common process: Player is underrated. People moan. Player then becomes overrated.

Could be argued that that's what's happened to Scholes after retirement. I'm on the fence but I generally think players from the past are seen in a better light than they should (on average).
Reply 48
Original post by little_wizard123
These debates are always impossible. People arguing that a player isn't overrated by declaring they're amazing - it just doesn't work.

A common process: Player is underrated. People moan. Player then becomes overrated.

Could be argued that that's what's happened to Scholes after retirement. I'm on the fence but I generally think players from the past are seen in a better light than they should (on average).

I can't think of many retired players who are as highly regarded as Scholes. Guys like Carragher and Nevile are a class below, some maybe are, but not Scholes.

"A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him." - Xavi

Pretty much every top player regards him as one of the best ever. It's more amongst the general public that he's considered overrated. I'm sure 90%+ people would consider Xavi ahead of Scholes. But I value the opinions of the pros more anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Zidane overrated.,, okayyy

Original post by al_94
No I respect Henry and Ronaldinho some of the most exciting player but I believe if you look at their career they are overrated.

Henry and Ronaldinho overrated?????

You should be banned from watching, talking, touching anything connected with football.
Reply 51
Oh also for the record Zidane has Scholes down as the toughest opponent of his career and the best midfielder of his generation.
Schmeichel
Gary Neville
Rio Ferdinand
Javier Zanetti
Roberto Carlos
Roy Keane
Gennaro Gattuso
Beckham
Zidane
Giggs
Robinho
Reply 53
loling big time at the very idea that Henry is overrated. Head and shoulders above any else who's ever played in this country.

Reply 54
strong lack of understanding of the word 'overrated' in this thread
Gianfranco Zola.

Often gets labelled as one of the all time greats to play in England. When someone says that you know they are trying too hard to sound knowledgeable. Also plastic Chelsea fans who want to show they were a fan before Abramovich absolutely suck his root.

And lol at the quotes about Paul Scholes coming out ffs. Absolute banter. Happens every time without fail.

Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Zidane overrated.,, okayyy

You're confusing overrated with ****. Somebody can be a world class footballer and still be overrated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Right so Wilf proving once again he has absolutely atrocious taste in football as well as women. Zola sent Carragher for a kebab three times at the the of 38 ffs
Ronaldo.

Spoiler

Right so Wilf proving once again he has absolutely atrocious taste in football as well as women. Zola sent Carragher for a kebab three times at the the of 38 ffs

And? He is overrated. One more time:

You're confusing overrated with ****.

^
Original post by difeo

Henry was better than both those two in the PL.

Sure they were fantastic for a few seasons and they have gone on to amazing things in Spain, but Henry did it year in year out for Arsenal.

Henry is definitely the best PL player of all time IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest