The Student Room Group

Referencing

Hello everyone, I have a silly question. I'm asking here as I thought it'd be better than reading something online and risking misinterpreting it. I'm really tired so sorry if my question isn't super clear.

I am writing a psychology assignment for my Access to HE course and am using my Gross textbook a lot for information. I've copied the years that are written in the textbook after the names of authors mentioned. For example, 'Bowlby (1955) found that -xyz-'. What I'm wondering is whether I need to include Bowlby's study in my reference list because I've done that? I have cited the textbook rather than the study referred to in the textbook.
Original post by redinthegrey
Hello everyone, I have a silly question. I'm asking here as I thought it'd be better than reading something online and risking misinterpreting it. I'm really tired so sorry if my question isn't super clear.

I am writing a psychology assignment for my Access to HE course and am using my Gross textbook a lot for information. I've copied the years that are written in the textbook after the names of authors mentioned. For example, 'Bowlby (1955) found that -xyz-'. What I'm wondering is whether I need to include Bowlby's study in my reference list because I've done that? I have cited the textbook rather than the study referred to in the textbook.

Yes you do need to include the study :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
Yes you do need to include the study :smile:

But my textbook doesn't include all the studies in its references. :0
But my textbook doesn't include all the studies in its references. :0

If it's not included in their reference list then look at secondary citing it or if it's a famous study you may find it just by look up the author online :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
If it's not included in their reference list then look at secondary citing it or if it's a famous study you may find it just by look up the author online :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
Personally I'd just write bowlbys theory xyz (gross, year) with the reference at the end for the book you used. In access to HE they generally don't expect secondary citation etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goodluck2u
Personally I'd just write bowlbys theory xyz (gross, year) with the reference at the end for the book you used. In access to HE they generally don't expect secondary citation etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but doing it properly in APA format is good practice for a psych degree. Better start now where you won't get marked down for doing it wrong!
Original post by Noodlzzz
Yes but doing it properly in APA format is good practice for a psych degree. Better start now where you won't get marked down for doing it wrong!

Oh sorry I should have mentioned, we're using the Harvard format!
Oh sorry I should have mentioned, we're using the Harvard format!

Ok then you should probably reference properly.
I'm in my first year of my degree. Based on the amount of pain I have seen my fellow 1st year students in I would advise you to start referencing as fully as and soon as possible. If you can get the practice in now its going to be so much less of a headache when you get to Uni. Honestly I have seen students in tears over this.
I did a HNC in Social Sciences which included Psychology. When doing my essays/reports I went online and I found details of the studies I was mentioning if I couldn't find them in the Gross book. Most are online and you can get enough details in there to put in.

Good luck
Original post by LilBlueBug
I'm in my first year of my degree. Based on the amount of pain I have seen my fellow 1st year students in I would advise you to start referencing as fully as and soon as possible. If you can get the practice in now its going to be so much less of a headache when you get to Uni. Honestly I have seen students in tears over this.
I did a HNC in Social Sciences which included Psychology. When doing my essays/reports I went online and I found details of the studies I was mentioning if I couldn't find them in the Gross book. Most are online and you can get enough details in there to put in.

Good luck

Hi, I asked my teacher and she said that you should only reference a study you mention if you've read the actual study. Otherwise you should reference the textbook, she said.
She also said that it's better to overreference than underrreference...
Hi, I asked my teacher and she said that you should only reference a study you mention if you've read the actual study. Otherwise you should reference the textbook, she said.

True, but it's better to read, even just the abstract of the original study to get a better idea about it, and reference properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending