The Student Room Group

Can you speak a second language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Loool YASS. #southiebanter :colone::biggrin:

Are you a proper tamillian?

Haha absolutely :colone::tongue:

Well, I'm not proper proper Tamilian (aka not born in India), but my parents are, so I guess that makes me Tamil too :')

Are you? :smile:
I'm fluent in English, Russian, Romanian and German with a reasonable grasp of French and Greek.
Also, love how this poll omitted such popular languages as Russian, Portuguese, Turkish or Indonesian.
Original post by Tank Girl
Curious to see how many multilingual people we have here, and what 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) language you speak :smile:

I was taught French at school- and was so hopeless- I'm really jealous of anyone who can learn languages.

You studied English Literature at uni. :colone: You surely do know more than one language. :teehee:
Reply 24
Oui oui.

Baguettes.

Omelette du fromage.

Honhonhonhonhonhonhon.

:pierre:
Original post by Lovinlife2
Haha absolutely :colone::tongue:

Well, I'm not proper proper Tamilian (aka not born in India), but my parents are, so I guess that makes me Tamil too :':wink:

Are you? :smile:

Ohhh i see i seee.

I'm malayalee (kerala) (quarter tamillian :biggrin:) but like you not proper proper. :tongue: BUUT I've lived in chennai for a couple years when i was young. Loool my parents speak a mix of tamil/hindi/malayalam/english at homee. Annnd i love tamil movies ofc:colone::biggrin:
Reply 26
I'm fluent in Lithuanian and English but that's cause I'm Lithuanian but live and study in UK. Also studied Russian for 5 years but I barely know the basics of that. Not that good with languages.
Reply 27
Original post by Absent Agent
You studied English Literature at uni. :colone: You surely do know more than one language. :teehee:

I know! It's shameful! :frown:
(I'm very much the outcast of the English Literature elite.)
Reply 28
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Also, love how this poll omitted such popular languages as Russian, Portuguese, Turkish or Indonesian.

I didn't think very much about it- It was essentially the first 11 languages I could think of :mmm:
Ohhh i see i seee.

I'm malayalee (kerala) (quarter tamillian :biggrin:) but like you not proper proper. :tongue: BUUT I've lived in chennai for a couple years when i was young. Loool my parents speak a mix of tamil/hindi/malayalam/english at homee. Annnd i love tamil movies ofc:colone::biggrin:

Haha I see! :biggrin: Nice one :tongue:

That is so cool :h: My parents are just full on Tamil but my father gets in a bit of Hindi here and there and mum is just there like "Oi, speak Tamil man" (or words to that effect :tongue:)

Yeah Tamil movies are great! My sister likes movies with Vijay in it :smile: Life of Pi is a great family favourite movie - have you watched that? :h:
Haha I see! :biggrin: Nice one :tongue:

That is so cool :h: My parents are just full on Tamil but my father gets in a bit of Hindi here and there and mum is just there like "Oi, speak Tamil man" (or words to that effect :tongue:)

Yeah Tamil movies are great! My sister likes movies with Vijay in it :smile: Life of Pi is a great family favourite movie - have you watched that? :h:

Oml my mum gets annoyed too when my dad is firing away in hindi. Lool she's
average at it :biggrin: Eyy I'm in love with Allu Arjun atm. His dancing floored me:daydreaming:
Yess!! I've watched that!!
I know! It's shameful! :frown:
(I'm very much the outcast of the English Literature elite.)

Sorry, what is shameful? :redface:

I'm sure being a member of the intellectual elite would prevent you from becoming a solitary thinker. :wink:
I speak several languages... I try not to tell people because I feel like a pretentious bastard.
Fluent in English and Spanish, native Polish.
I didn't think very much about it- It was essentially the first 11 languages I could think of :mmm:

It's alright. It doesn't lack for variety, that's for sure.
Reply 35
English, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese.
The only language I can speak fluently at the moment is English. I'm attempting to learn Italian though :smile:
Oml my mum gets annoyed too when my dad is firing away in hindi. Lool she's
average at it :biggrin: Eyy I'm in love with Allu Arjun atm. His dancing floored me:daydreaming:
Yess!! I've watched that!!

Haha, ain't all Indian mums the same :lol:

Ooh, I've not heard of Allu Arjun :smile: Ahh, good - did you enjoy the film? :biggrin:
Haha, ain't all Indian mums the same :lol:

Ooh, I've not heard of Allu Arjun :smile: Ahh, good - did you enjoy the film? :biggrin:

Indeed they are:giggle:

Gooosssh!! You got some catching up to do girrrl:biggrin:
Yeep loved it. I guess one of my personal family favorites :smile:

What are you studying atm??
Reply 39
I can speak parts of:
Malayalam
Hindi
Farsi
Japanese
Portuguese
Spanish