The Student Room Group

Rejection due to low predicted grades

If i was rejected by my top choice university for too low predicted grades and my school was to email them saying I'm currently achieving well above my predicted grades can they change their mind about my rejection or will i have to wait till results day and go through adjustment assuming i meet their requirements? Has an offer change ever happened after being rejected on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
When unis choose they consider many things such your PS, Reference, GCSE's, Alevels. Just the college emailing the uni to say you're doing better than your prediction. That won't make difference. And once they consider your application and they already rejected you then there is no way of that being reversed. So if they already did reject you because of your predictions then try through adjustment.
Reply 2
Original post by Waliid
When unis choose they consider many things such your PS, Reference, GCSE's, Alevels. Just the college emailing the uni to say you're doing better than your prediction. That won't make difference. And once they consider your application and they already rejected you then there is no way of that being reversed. So if they already did reject you because of your predictions then try through adjustment.

Thank you. I guess adjustment it is...
Original post by 260498
If i was rejected by my top choice university for too low predicted grades and my school was to email them saying I'm currently achieving well above my predicted grades can they change their mind about my rejection or will i have to wait till results day and go through adjustment assuming i meet their requirements? Has an offer change ever happened after being rejected on ucas?

Unis will not accept revised predicted grades - its up to your teachers to get it right the first time. So no, Unis wont reconsider you if they have rejected you for this reason.

IF you get better grades than for your FIrm (ie. nir just equal to but better) then you can phone another Uni and see IF the course you are interested in has places (it may not have) and if they will reconsider you. Do not just assume that that reason they rejected you first time round was just your grades - if they didnt like your PS then, they still wont like at it Adjustment and you'll simply get rejected all over again.

Adjustment is actually not a great solution for anyone. Its all last minute and panicky, you probably wont get accommodation and most applicants wont get a chance to visit the new Uni. Also, its the course you study that is important - not the grades to get in. Just because somewhere is asking AAA doesn't make it a 'better' course/Uni (whatever that means) and it certainly doesn't make it a better course/Uni for you.

A much better solution is either to go to your FIrm Uni anyway - the one you wanted/dreamt about going to. Or, dropping your entire 2016 application and reapplying in October for 2017 with known grades - lots of time to rethink, visit new Unis and make a better thought-out decision. Recommended.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Unis will not accept revised predicted grades - its up to your teachers to get it right the first time. So no, Unis wont reconsider you if they have rejected you for this reason.

IF you get better grades than for your FIrm (ie. nir just equal to but better) then you can phone another Uni and see IF the course you are interested in has places (it may not have) and if they will reconsider you. Do not just assume that that reason they rejected you first time round was just your grades - if they didnt like your PS then, they still wont like at it Adjustment and you'll simply get rejected all over again.

Adjustment is actually not a great solution for anyone. Its all last minute and panicky, you probably wont get accommodation and most applicants wont get a chance to visit the new Uni. Also, its the course you study that is important - not the grades to get in. Just because somewhere is asking AAA doesn't make it a 'better' course/Uni (whatever that means) and it certainly doesn't make it a better course/Uni for you.

A much better solution is either to go to your FIrm Uni anyway - the one you wanted/dreamt about going to. Or, dropping your entire 2016 application and reapplying in October for 2017 with known grades - lots of time to rethink, visit new Unis and make a better thought-out decision. Recommended.

I was told when I asked why they rejected me that it was due to my predicted grades, I'd only go to this uni that rejected me through adjustment other wise I'd stick to my second choice but thank you for the advice! Much appreciated I have a lot to think about
Original post by returnmigrant
Unis will not accept revised predicted grades - its up to your teachers to get it right the first time. So no, Unis wont reconsider you if they have rejected you for this reason

This isn't true. The admissions lady at our school sent off the wrong predicted grades for my friend. He got BBB and was meant to be predicted AAB but she sent off CCC. She only realised about 2 weeks later. Then she had to phone up every Uni individually to tell them that it was her mistake and his predicted grades were wrong. One of the Uni's (I think it was Loughborough? Can't remember) revised their decision and made him an offer. The rest hadn't made a decision yet but took it into consideration and made him an offer at a later date.

They can reconsider, but I don't know if they would in OP's scenario.
Original post by Waliid

im actually interested on that topic, im thinking of moving to Scotland to study, i was trying to find pathways to universities in case i dont meet the entry requirements because im an EU student. any ideas?
Reply 7
Sorry to hear about that, but you could get on a course for your second or your third choice
Original post by Waliid

Actually I was rejected by UCL initially and a friendly email about performing above GCSE grades (which were quite low for UCL) got it reversed.

It's not impossible but it is hard.
Reply 9
Original post by Lawliettt
This isn't true. The admissions lady at our school sent off the wrong predicted grades for my friend. He got BBB and was meant to be predicted AAB but she sent off CCC. She only realised about 2 weeks later. Then she had to phone up every Uni individually to tell them that it was her mistake and his predicted grades were wrong. One of the Uni's (I think it was Loughborough? Can't remember) revised their decision and made him an offer. The rest hadn't made a decision yet but took it into consideration and made him an offer at a later date.

They can reconsider, but I don't know if they would in OP's scenario.

I was also rejected by Loughborough! You've made my day I hope they can reconsider me! Thank you soooooo much
Reply 10
Original post by ikhan94
Sorry to hear about that, but you could get on a course for your second or your third choice

I have all my other options but its not quite the same as getting your top😔
Original post by 260498
I was also rejected by Loughborough! You've made my day I hope they can reconsider me! Thank you soooooo much

You're welcome. Although keep in mind that your situation is slightly different. In his case, his initial predicteds were plain wrong and it was a mistake by whoever wrote his reference. Plus it was the school who rang the Uni up. Your case is the predicteds were low but you're now doing much better. They might not treat you the same way as they treated him. Another issue is you've passed the equal consideration deadline (January 15th) so they might legitimately be out of places for the course.

But if possible, try and make your school phone instead of email.
Reply 12
Loughborough also rejected me to previous grades & predicted grades. Yet all my other unis gave me offers and they had the same/higher entrance grades than Loughborough. If its that much of a big deal then email them it might work. If not prepare for the joys of Adjustment
Reply 13
Original post by donte
Loughborough also rejected me to previous grades & predicted grades. Yet all my other unis gave me offers and they had the same/higher entrance grades than Loughborough. If its that much of a big deal then email them it might work. If not prepare for the joys of Adjustment

I just don't want to go through adjustment because i might not get accommodation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending