The Student Room Group

I have failed one of my coursework/assessments for Law

I am really worried, I got under a 40 and have failed the paper. I have another paper and then an exam due - I am wondering if it is still possible to get an overall 1st or high 2:1 for the topic in mind.

This is my first year and I am so angry, upset, just all over the place.

- I should add I am doing a 2 year accelerated law course. So the 1st year counts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
first year doesnt count towards final classification but im heading for a 2:1 as well (first yr, nearly 2nd yr student) and i got below 40 on a module too.
Reply 2
Original post by Nemi_Juelz
I am really worried, I got under a 40 and have failed the paper. I have another paper and then an exam due - I am wondering if it is still possible to get an overall 1st or high 2:1 for the topic in mind.

First year doesn't count so stop being angry and learn from it.

If your unit is split into three parts equally (ie 33% for each); then yes you can still get above a first - assuming you got 38, but you'd need an average mark of just over 85 to get a first (and that's supremely difficult).
To just about scrape a 2.1 in that unit; you'd still need to get a low first in both second parts. Far more possible, but still difficult.
Reply 3
Original post by Inazuma
First year doesn't count so stop being angry and learn from it.

If your unit is split into three parts equally (ie 33% for each); then yes you can still get above a first - assuming you got 38, but you'd need an average mark of just over 85 to get a first (and that's supremely difficult).
To just about scrape a 2.1 in that unit; you'd still need to get a low first in both second parts. Far more possible, but still difficult.

i thought a first was 70%?
Reply 4
Unfortunately my 1st year will count as I'm doing an Accelerated Law Degree and will complete it within 2 years.
Reply 5
Unfortunately my 1st year will count as I'm doing an Accelerated Law Degree and will complete it within 2 years.

ah shiit :frown: can u retake?

If you failed then it will depend on your uni's fail policy. At my uni it was that you retake the module in August and you are capped at a pass, so 40%. If you failed it again, you would not be allowed into second year. My uni also said you couldn't fail any part of any module, e.g. if you failed a paper and passed the exam, you would still not have 'passed' that module even if your percentage was over 40%. Every part of every module had to be passed for us to enter into the next year. But this policy varies from uni to uni so you need to check what yours is.

As to whether or not you can get a 1st or 2.1, that depends on the breakdown of the module. What % of the module are the first paper, the second paper and the exam?

It's worth looking at the feedback on the paper in close detail and setting up a meeting with the tutor to discuss where you went wrong. If they have office hours make good use of those whenever you have any questions or are unclear about something in the module.
Reply 7
Original post by shawtyb
ah shiit :frown: can u retake?

I think so but it is capped to 40% :frown:
Reply 8
I think so but it is capped to 40% :frown:

not guaranteed youl pass either :frown: i feel for u
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
i thought a first was 70%?

It is...
If you're referring to the 85, that would be the mark needed to average out a low first for the entire unit (assuming they're equally weighted).
Reply 10
Original post by shawtyb
not guaranteed youl pass either :frown: i feel for u

Thanks!! I just don't know what happened I've looked over it and justcannot stop beating myself up over silly mistakes... I read it over and had a friend proof read it for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending