The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj1
Now that Oxford have finally made their rejection official on UCAS, I can now choose my firm/insurance, but no hurry, I have till May.

However, I was reading the smallprint on one of the UCAS pages and found this in Durham's FAQ. Can anyone clarify what this means? By Unit Grades does this mean they will look at the A Level unit grades on results day (ok) or will they be looking back at the AS unit grades (not ok)?

This is a bit of a worry because my 6th form has a policy not to put in unit grades for anyone, understandably because it would 'draw attention' to any rogue grades in the units which may be lower than the overall result. For example I got an A in AS Chemistry overall, but one exam was a B.

However if it means looking at the final A Level exam results on results day then that's fair enough.

What is Durham’s policy regarding Unit grades?
Unit Grades will be used by the University during this entry cycle. It is planned to use them at confirmation of results in August to differentiate between candidates who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer, should the University be able to admit any of these and this level of differentiation be required. The University does not intend to include unit grades within the conditions of offers

Hi Bj1,

To answer your question, they will take into account your overall A level UMS, for instance they would rather take a student who missed out on their grade by 2 UMS points than 15 UMS points.

However it is also important to recognise that unit grades play a part. Durham will have access to your A level results 5 days before you, including a detailed breakdown of your A2 UNIT GRADES, therefore it is better to obtain consistently strong unit grades as a poor unit could cost you dear.

I hope this helps, however it is important to mention that this information will only affect the small number of applicants who just miss out on their grades. When this happens the university sees how many places it has left (confirmation), and will take the best 'near miss candidates'. Defining the best of these candidates goes further than just unit grades, and all aspects of you application will be reassessed. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by ziggyystardust
Any English offers?
I'm getting so impatient!

I'm still waiting too! Just want to know now… Which college did you apply to?
Any English offers?
I'm getting so impatient!

About 10 days ago, application went in back in October.
Original post by hollyismyname
I'm still waiting too! Just want to know now… Which college did you apply to?

Hatfield! And you?
Best of luck :smile:
Original post by DrSocSciences
About 10 days ago, application went in back in October.

Congratulations! I sent mine back in October as well.
Are you an A level or IB applicant?
Hatfield! And you?
Best of luck :smile:

Cuthbert's. You too :smile:
Anyone got BA Geog offers yet?
Reply 1427
Original post by Millie_mcl
I also applied to politics a few months ago and still heard nothing yet. It is driving me mad!

Hey man
I know exactly what you mean! I still haven't heard back yet, have you? Which college did you apply for?
Original post by Thias
Hey man
I know exactly what you mean! I still haven't heard back yet, have you? Which college did you apply for?

I am still waiting to hear back from all of my choices! I applied to university as thought worth a shot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Got an offer for English Literature today! :h:
Received an offer for Physics today (A*A*A).
Original post by RahhSabina
Got an offer for English Literature today! :h:

Wow well done!! When did you send your application and what were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
Wow well done!! When did you send your application and what were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent it on 14th October and my AS weren't that strong i got AAAE (E in further maths then As in english lit, history and maths)
I got an offer for chemistry!! :biggrin: My conditions are A1AA (scottish qualifications, an A1 is about the same as an A*) to include chemistry and maths
Original post by RahhSabina
I sent it on 14th October and my AS weren't that strong i got AAAE (E in further maths then As in english lit, history and maths)

That's still really good! Mine are average and I sent mine off early November so guess I have longer to wait but thanks for telling for me and congrats again X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got an offer for the Finance course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ffiorentini
I got an offer for chemistry!! :biggrin: My conditions are A1AA (scottish qualifications, an A1 is about the same as an A*) to include chemistry and maths

Congrats :biggrin: I'll be bouncing off the walls if I get one, hopefully soon :smile: will you firm?
Original post by OSH18
Hey :smile: ah okay thanks. Good luck with meeting the offer, I'm sure you will get it :smile: is it your first choice?

Thabk you! It is my first choice by far.. Now just waiting for college allocation (hopefully ST JOHN'S)! Tell me about yourself?
Original post by Spoderman14
Congrats :biggrin: I'll be bouncing off the walls if I get one, hopefully soon :smile: will you firm?

Yeah that's what I was like when I got it! :laugh: yeah it'll be my firm, not completely sure about my insurance yet but I have quite a bit of time to choose! Are you planning on firming yours as well?
Anyone have any idea about whether I can change my college application as I haven't actually chosen a college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending