The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

*sussex accomodation help!*

I have applied to Sussex and I have done a little research on the halls etc and went to an open day, I like to party but also a nice place to live, en suite isn't necessary and I don't want the top price of £150... I have had a brief look at Brightelm and Lewes court, could anyone tell me what the locations are like/what it includes (washing machine etc...) and general info, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1998WillH
I have applied to Sussex and I have done a little research on the halls etc and went to an open day, I like to party but also a nice place to live, en suite isn't necessary and I don't want the top price of £150... I have had a brief look at Brightelm and Lewes court, could anyone tell me what the locations are like/what it includes (washing machine etc...) and general info, thanks!

I have moved this post to the Sussex forum for you as people with relevant knowledge are more likely to see your question there :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Hey

What about being a property guardian?

Its likely you could get somewhere really close to the uni for 100-200pm no bills.

Nath
I don't know much about that but I do live in central Brighton so feel free to ask me anything about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Hey!

I'm a third year at sussex. I used to live in Northfield, but I wouldn't say its worth the money, and its really far away from everything.
Swanborough is right in the centre of everything, you can literally wake up 10 mins before your lecture starts.
If you want something cheaper you'd be better off with somewhere like lewes court which still has the en-suite option.
Brighthelm is the only accommodation with washing machines, the others all have communal laundrettes.
East slope is cheap and cheerful (and run down), but is where most of the parties are.
I never really went to the park houses or park village.

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by PatsyM
Hey!

I'm a third year at sussex. I used to live in Northfield, but I wouldn't say its worth the money, and its really far away from everything.
Swanborough is right in the centre of everything, you can literally wake up 10 mins before your lecture starts.
If you want something cheaper you'd be better off with somewhere like lewes court which still has the en-suite option.
Brighthelm is the only accommodation with washing machines, the others all have communal laundrettes.
East slope is cheap and cheerful (and run down), but is where most of the parties are.

Hope this helps!

Is there much of a party vibe on Brightelm?
Reply 6
Is there much of a party vibe on Brightelm?

Not much when I was there, but there were a couple of parties I heard about. Its more like houses than flats up there, so I reckon they're big enough to throw parties if you're up for it.
I think the biggest party accommodation is york house or east slope.
The problem with throwing parties is that its hard to do in en-suite accommodation because you have to let strangers into your bedroom if they need the toilet.
Reply 7
Original post by PatsyM
Hey!

Hope this helps!

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me a bit.
I'm looking for student accommodation but I'm genuinely so lost! What would you say is best for having en-suit, being convenient to facilities like the classrooms, stores, post office, etc.
Which accommodation has the most international students in? And which one has more local students? Well, I'm asking without having to sound snide or horrible haha.
Also i'm a very VERY social person so where would you suggest I go; seeing as you're already in your last year you'd know a substantial amount haha.
Reply 8
Original post by u97
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me a bit.
I'm looking for student accommodation but I'm genuinely so lost! What would you say is best for having en-suit, being convenient to facilities like the classrooms, stores, post office, etc.
Which accommodation has the most international students in? And which one has more local students? Well, I'm asking without having to sound snide or horrible haha.
Also i'm a very VERY social person so where would you suggest I go; seeing as you're already in your last year you'd know a substantial amount haha.

Hi!,

So if you're looking to be in the middle of everything with an en-suit, I'd suggest Swanborough. It has en-suites, big kitchen areas for parties and is right opposite the on campus co-op, the post office, and close to all the lecture theatres.

If you want to be in the middle of everything, the accommodation goes in this oder from closest to furthest away:
Swanborough, East Slope, Brightelm, Park Houses, Park Village, Lewes Court, Northfield.
The Nicest ones are Swanborough, Northfield, and Lewes Court.

All accommodation has international students, but I think they get placed first as they get results earlier. I took a gap year and already had my results, so I got my accommodation early like them, I ended up living in a six person flat with 5 international students, but it was great!

Its a bit hit and miss, but it usually won't matter where you live because its a very social campus in general. Definitely just walk around campus on the first night, because everyone will be out trying to make friends. I took a tray of jelly shots and became very popular very quickly haha.
Also check out Komedia in town, its a great place to go with new friends.
Reply 9
Hey :smile:

I've got an offer to do anthropology and for me it's between East Slope and Swanborough.

I know they are two extremes haha I really like the idea of the party atmosphere at East Slope but it worries me that it'll be just a bit too grotty as I've heard rumours that mould grows in the showers etc.

Swanborough is in a good location for my buildings and it looks really nice but I'm worried because its en-suit it'll be a little too quiet and also I've heard it is just full of snobby people. I'm fairly liberal but I do come from a rather privileged background therefore I'm used to snobby people haha but I'd rather be with more forward thinking people. ( heard en-suit buildings tend to be less social for some reason.)

Sorry if these stereotypes are not applied to the accommodation, its just what I've heard.
Original post by GeorgieLM
Hey :smile:

I've got an offer to do anthropology and for me it's between East Slope and Swanborough.

I know they are two extremes haha I really like the idea of the party atmosphere at East Slope but it worries me that it'll be just a bit too grotty as I've heard rumours that mould grows in the showers etc.

Swanborough is in a good location for my buildings and it looks really nice but I'm worried because its en-suit it'll be a little too quiet and also I've heard it is just full of snobby people. I'm fairly liberal but I do come from a rather privileged background therefore I'm used to snobby people haha but I'd rather be with more forward thinking people. ( heard en-suit buildings tend to be less social for some reason.)

Sorry if these stereotypes are not applied to the accommodation, its just what I've heard.

Hey - I'm a third year at Sussex so I'm also quite qualified to comment on this post :smile:

I stayed in Northfield, which is essentially swanborough MK2 but just more out the way.

Swanborough is in PRIME location, its right opposite the Co-op, which believe me in first year is a life saver. The amount of times me and my mates had to trek from northfield to coop was a nightmare aha. Also, you are proper close to all of the lecture theatres and seminar rooms. It is by far the best en-suite location as its literally right by everything. Lewes court phase 2 is also en suite, but thats further out the way, then beyond lewes court you have northfield which is a very similar sort of thing to swanborough just further away.

What I found in my first year, (coming from a similar background to you) was northfield and the en - suite and lovely kitchens all was amazing. Its honestly like a high end hostel / hotel (along as you keep it clean :wink: ). It made the transition a whole lot easier I found.

That being said, East Slope does appear to have the best parties. Whilst that may seem fantastic, its all well and good until you actually wanna get some sleep and not get involved. Theres very little time to be alone or chill out alone in East Slope, and you obv know its pretty run down at this point.

Don't think you won't have parties elsewhere. A good mix of these is something like york or lancaster house. Theres 12 people ish in your floor area, so its very social, and you share a bathroom, but generally its a lot nicer than East slope. Its not that far out the way either, its about a 5/6 min walk from east slope, so you're still pretty darn central. (Its a lot closer than both lewes court and a DAMN site closer than northfield.)

As for stereotypes, ignore em all. 99.9% of people at sussex are liberal. You simply dont get snobs here. Its not like Bristol or Warwick AT ALL. (I have friends at both, and I looked at both too and its the polar opposite of wills halls etc where its all private school kids.) Don't think b y going to swanborough you're gonna be rubbing shoulders with the snobby elite anymore so than if you were to go to East slope. Admittedly, people from East slope generally will have come from a lower income than swanborough, but its not something that I'd even consider when applying to halls.

Ultimately, if I were in your position, i'd go with swanborough. If you want to live in a scummy house, dont worry second and third year will make sure you get the full mould in shower uni experience with houses in brighton - so I'd go with swanborough or northfield if it was me. The main thing to remember is the campus is relatively small.. whilst people say northfield is way out the way, its like a 10/15 minute walk to the other side of the campus.. so we aren't talking like MEGA FAR.

And because of that you mix with people in loads of halls, so you aren't restricted in the halls you're staying in, i went to loads of parties in east slope, york house, lancaster house etc as well as northfield. so dont sweat it.

TL;DR Pick swanborough.

[spoile
Reply 11
Original post by King Boo
Hey - I'm a third year at Sussex so I'm also quite qualified to comment on this post :smile:

I stayed in Northfield, which is essentially swanborough MK2 but just more out the way.

Swanborough is in PRIME location, its right opposite the Co-op, which believe me in first year is a life saver. The amount of times me and my mates had to trek from northfield to coop was a nightmare aha. Also, you are proper close to all of the lecture theatres and seminar rooms. It is by far the best en-suite location as its literally right by everything. Lewes court phase 2 is also en suite, but thats further out the way, then beyond lewes court you have northfield which is a very similar sort of thing to swanborough just further away.

What I found in my first year, (coming from a similar background to you) was northfield and the en - suite and lovely kitchens all was amazing. Its honestly like a high end hostel / hotel (along as you keep it clean :wink: ). It made the transition a whole lot easier I found.

That being said, East Slope does appear to have the best parties. Whilst that may seem fantastic, its all well and good until you actually wanna get some sleep and not get involved. Theres very little time to be alone or chill out alone in East Slope, and you obv know its pretty run down at this point.

Don't think you won't have parties elsewhere. A good mix of these is something like york or lancaster house. Theres 12 people ish in your floor area, so its very social, and you share a bathroom, but generally its a lot nicer than East slope. Its not that far out the way either, its about a 5/6 min walk from east slope, so you're still pretty darn central. (Its a lot closer than both lewes court and a DAMN site closer than northfield.)

As for stereotypes, ignore em all. 99.9% of people at sussex are liberal. You simply dont get snobs here. Its not like Bristol or Warwick AT ALL. (I have friends at both, and I looked at both too and its the polar opposite of wills halls etc where its all private school kids.) Don't think b y going to swanborough you're gonna be rubbing shoulders with the snobby elite anymore so than if you were to go to East slope. Admittedly, people from East slope generally will have come from a lower income than swanborough, but its not something that I'd even consider when applying to halls.

Ultimately, if I were in your position, i'd go with swanborough. If you want to live in a scummy house, dont worry second and third year will make sure you get the full mould in shower uni experience with houses in brighton - so I'd go with swanborough or northfield if it was me. The main thing to remember is the campus is relatively small.. whilst people say northfield is way out the way, its like a 10/15 minute walk to the other side of the campus.. so we aren't talking like MEGA FAR.

And because of that you mix with people in loads of halls, so you aren't restricted in the halls you're staying in, i went to loads of parties in east slope, york house, lancaster house etc as well as northfield. so dont sweat it.

TL;DR Pick swanborough.

[spoile

Hi, I literally just read from a post on facebook that when this person was in northfield he couldn't really communicate well with his flatmates cause they were all international students and as a local, he had a hard time. Is it really like that?
Original post by u97
Hi, I literally just read from a post on facebook that when this person was in northfield he couldn't really communicate well with his flatmates cause they were all international students and as a local, he had a hard time. Is it really like that?

Luck of the draw - you could end up with a flat full of internationals which ever accommodation you're in. That being said he's defo in the minority, northfield is not a cluster of internationals by any means of the word - he was probably just very very unlucky. At most, everyone flat I knew in northfield had 1 or 2 internationals - (unless it was an international flat whereby they're all put together). Our flat didn't even have any international students so its completely down to luck and you'll find that for whichever accom you apply for.
What's everyone's opinions on Stanmer Court flats?? For me it's between Northfield, Lewes Courts or Stanmer Court
Reply 14

Sorry to bother again but any ideas about single sex accommodation? My parents are forcing me to get it but i really dont bleeding want it so what are the chances of me getting into one if i apply? Also would you happen to know if they're all ensuite or not? thank you xx
Original post by u97
Sorry to bother again but any ideas about single sex accommodation? My parents are forcing me to get it but i really dont bleeding want it so what are the chances of me getting into one if i apply? Also would you happen to know if they're all ensuite or not? thank you xx

When I went to the post offer day, I asked about the ratios of girls to boys in accommodation and actually there seems as if it is a high chance that even if you say you don't want to be in a single sex flat you will be. So you could tell you parents that and then its a win win situation for both of you. You're parents get the peace of mind for a couple of months that you're going to be in a single sex flat but then if you don't you have what you want.
Reply 16
Original post by PatsyM
Hey!

Hi again, sorry to keep bothering but I was wondering what you might know about the single sex accommodations? My parents want me to live in an all girls accommodation but i really dont want to (only cause i'm the least girliest girl on earth so im pretty sure i wont click with all girls - lets just say i grew up with 7 brothers...) anyway i was wondering what the chances are of applying (for my parent's piece of mind) and NOT getting in. CAUSE I REALLY DONT WANT IT.

Also would you know if the single sex acc. is like ensuit and nice like the houses in northfield and swanb? Thank you!!

I'm a third year and used to live in Brighthelm and LOVED it. It's about £110 a week I think and is more like a house so you get used to living in a house on your own and get really close to your housemates. You have a great communal area and balcony which is amazing in the summer, and it's the only accomm with a washer and dryer which is a DREAM. Good luck!
My top choices are Swanborough and Northfield. But I put Swanborough first, which I know is extremely risky considering there are only 200-something bedspaces and international students get their accommodation choices first, as well as people with unconditional offers; with Swanborough being the nicest accommodation along with Northfield (but in a better location), I'm worried that the bedspaces will be taken up very quickly and I won't get my second choice of Northfield because the bedspaces would go out to people who put NF as their first choice. My other choices were Lewes Court Ph2 and Brighthelm. I just really want an accommodation with an en-suite, but I know that someone who applied for accommodation all with en-suites ended up in East Slope with no explanation as to why at all, and ES wasn't even on her list of preferences.
To even consider living in northfield or swanborough is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. £150 a week?! Are you mad. Plus both accommodations are boring as hell, full of international students who don't come out their rooms and there's nothing going on. Honestly, I would say East slope is by far the best place to live on campus. Every one who's ever lived at East slope will vouch for this. I lived on campus for two years, initially in Lewes court phase 1 in my first year and then in East slope as a residential advisor in my third year. East slope is only £80 a week so you save a hell of a lot of money compared to swanborough and northfield, I honestly don't see how people can justify paying so much money for such a boring non-sociable accommodation. Yeah it had en-suites and nice kitchens but you aren't gonna be getting that in second year in town so you may as well get used to it as soon as you can.

I would also recommend park houses, in particular Kent house and Lancaster house...(avoiding York house as that is where the security Hub is so harder for parties etc) and to be fair Lewes court phase 1 was pretty decent. The only downside with East slope is that you don't get even a sink in your room but you soon realise it really doesn't matter at all. East slope is by far the most sociable with every flat being ground floor and so much going on, lots of parties and gatherings etc. everyone on the slope knows everyone and it's a real nice family feel to the place. Also I found if you wanna switch off from it all it's easy enough as you can't hear noise from the communal areas from the corridors and the bedrooms.

Trust me. Don't waste money. Go for East slope or Kent house or Lancaster house. Preferably East slope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending